border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-11, 01:25 PM   #1
Jwebbem

Hello!

Hi everyone. My name is Jessica and I'm a new owner of a beautiful male brazilian rainbow boa. I have always loved snakes and am glad to have another one. I have had this one for about four days now. A little kid bought him about a week ago and lost him at my work. He didn't care to get him back so now I'm the lucky owner of him. My question is about moss... I read on here that it will help the humidity level in the terrarium, however when I took him to a snake expert (to find out more about him like his age and sex), he told me that moss is not good for him because it can cause mites. Is this true? Is there anything else that I can put in the terrarium to help with the humidity??
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Login to remove ads
Old 10-22-11, 01:29 PM   #2
infernalis

Re: Hello!

sSnakeSs.com - Rules

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 10-22-11, 01:33 PM   #3
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Welcome to the forum. Im sure you will come to know this site a very friendly and informative as I have the last few weeks.

As far as your Rainbow is concerned and the humidity levels, it has been my experience to simply put the water dish directly on top of the heat source. This moistens up things very nicely.
Old 10-22-11, 01:42 PM   #4
marvelfreak
Captain America

Hello and th_sign00161.gif to our zoo. As for your question moss don't cause mites. Tons of people use it and never get mites. I myself use Reptile bark in the bottom of the cage and just mist daily. This keeps my humidity up just find. What kind of set up do you have? What are your temps and humidity at now. Pictures would help us spot anything you might need to adjust or fix. Plus we love to see pictures of your little one.
Old 10-22-11, 01:46 PM   #5
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

Hello and welcome to the forum. Moss does not cause mites. If you want some info on better ways to keep the humidity up we are going to need more info about your set up. Pictures are great also details on temp hot/cold
Old 10-22-11, 01:55 PM   #6
Jwebbem

Thanks for the welcome notes and the information. The temperature is currently at 78 and my hygrometer is reading 70.
Old 10-22-11, 02:24 PM   #7
Jwebbem

The terrarium has a hot side and a cold side. I have his water bowl on the heated side and a log on the cool side. I'm heating the tank with a heating pad that I placed underneath. I would love to post pictures, buttt I'm not sure how to do that from my phone. :P
Old 10-22-11, 02:34 PM   #8
Gungirl

Ok so you have a heating pad.. do you have it on a thermostat? I don't have the type of snake you do but most snakes like hides on hot and cold sides.. what kind of sub-straight do you use? Is the snake in a fish tank with a screen top?

I want to help I just need more info.....
Old 10-22-11, 02:42 PM   #9
Jwebbem

No I don't have the heating pad on a thermostat. The water bowl that's on the hot side has a cave underneath it that he loves to hide under. The log on the cold side is large enough for a hide too. I am using eco earth, which was recommended by a pet store. Sorry I'm not giving enough info and I really appreciate your help.
Old 10-22-11, 02:44 PM   #10
Gungirl

You need a theromostat to regulate the temp the heating pad can get to. I have seen them get as high as 120 degrees and that will really harm your snake. If you have a screen lid you need to cover 80% of it to help retain moisture. The best way to retain moisture is to restrict air flow.
Old 10-22-11, 02:49 PM   #11
Jwebbem

I do have a screen lid and I placed plastic over a portion of it, but the guy I spoke to this morning, the same snake expert that told me not to use moss, told me to take the plastic down... Should I put it back up?
Old 10-22-11, 02:57 PM   #12
UwabamiReptiles
Abracadabra Holmes

Welcome to the forum! And congrats on your new snake!
Old 10-22-11, 02:58 PM   #13
Jwebbem

Thank you!
Old 10-22-11, 03:43 PM   #14
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwebbem View Post
I do have a screen lid and I placed plastic over a portion of it, but the guy I spoke to this morning, the same snake expert that told me not to use moss, told me to take the plastic down... Should I put it back up?
Yes put it back up or you will lose all you humidity. It will rise right out of the cage and defeat the purpose have of trying to raise it.

I'll be the bad guy and say it. Sound like your snake expert don't know as much about snakes as he like you to believe. Does he or she work at a pet store? A lot of pet store worker like to make you think they know what they are doing when it comes to reptiles. When in reality they are just guessing or making up stuff. It's a good thing you found this site. We actually have a couple Brazilian Rainbow Boa breeder on this site.
Old 10-22-11, 03:47 PM   #15
millertime89
Forum Moderator

ok, you've got a BRB same as I do, in an aquarium, like I do. Your so called "expert" is wrong on a few things. BRBs require high humidity which can not be maintained with just a screen top, so leave the plastic there. Just make sure there are holes so fresh air can move in and out, just not a big one or too many. Think about it for a second, how can moss "cause mites" mise are parasites and, just like any other animal, have to be born somehow. Moss can allow mites to live and thrive because it presents a cool, moist environment, but as long as you keep your guy in his viv and do your best to keep the viv clean, you shouldn't have problems.

You want the humidity between 70 and 80 percent so good job on getting that there, that was one of my early challenges, I don't know about with ecoearth, but I use zoo-med forest floor and it does a great job holding and slowly releasing moisture, keeping the humidity up. I have a clump of moss that I put under some running water, then rang out inside the cool hide and my BRB spends most of his time in that hide.

Temps should be 75-80 during the night and 80-85 during the day with one side being warmer than the other. So you're probably fine. My temps are 85 hot side day, 78 cool side day, and 77 on both sides at night.

Congrats on the new snake, I love my little guy, post pictures when you can. I'm not a breeder, but I spent days researching mine before he arrived.
PS, in case you weren't keeping track, that's 2 strikes against your "expert".
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
boa constrictor help, boas, brazilian rainbow boa