border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-17, 02:40 PM   #16
dannybgoode

Re: 2017 California Red sideds...

Very very pretty. Congratulations. Must be said I'm getting a bit of a yearning for some garters and I have the perfect spare enclosure.

As for the reproductive side of the hobby I can't wait to get started as I can imagine the challenge and reward is a real buzz.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 05-29-17, 11:53 PM   #17
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
Purty...real purty! Almost makes me want one...almost!
Thanks Scuba! Garters are a very cool species to interact with. The multitude of morphs is exploding. Pioneer Jeff Benfer aka the garter snake morph recently produced a worlds first erythrystic albino golden eastern garter snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
Albert, PM a price for a 1.1 pair with shipping included please.
. PM sent. Thanks Mink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenRavens View Post
If I was going to have a garter, this would be it!!! Gorgeous babies!
. Thanks TR. These guys (Infernalis) are a very sought after subspecies. Almost a must have. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
Very very pretty. Congratulations. Must be said I'm getting a bit of a yearning for some garters and I have the perfect spare enclosure.

As for the reproductive side of the hobby I can't wait to get started as I can imagine the challenge and reward is a real buzz.
. Thanks db. I saw where you previously expressed a desire for garters. Yeah, follow that yearning. Can't wait to see you get started with them.
Old 05-30-17, 12:07 AM   #18
Albert Clark

The babies of this subspecies color up with their red as they shed out. You can see a couple of them are already more colorful than their siblings. Parents are unrelated and both first timers in breeding and producing.
Old 05-30-17, 12:53 AM   #19
SerpentineDream

Oh, those are some cute little worms. Mom and Dad are knockouts!
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 05-30-17, 03:30 AM   #20
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineDream View Post
Oh, those are some cute little worms. Mom and Dad are knockouts!
. Thank you SD. Yep the parents are a superior mix no doubt. The male came from a breeder in South Carolina, the female from a breeder in Iowa..
Login to remove ads
Old 05-30-17, 12:57 PM   #21
ThirteenRavens

Quote:
These guys (Infernalis) are a very sought after subspecies. Almost a must have. Lol.
Agreed!! I am seriously tempted lol...I may be moving here in the next month or so and wouldn't want to pick up anything new until I get that obstacle cleared
Old 05-30-17, 01:59 PM   #22
dave himself

Beautiful snakes Albert, thanks for posting the pics mate
Old 05-30-17, 08:44 PM   #23
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenRavens View Post
Agreed!! I am seriously tempted lol...I may be moving here in the next month or so and wouldn't want to pick up anything new until I get that obstacle cleared
Well, when you are stabilized and ready to go garter I will be glad to assist you. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave himself View Post
Beautiful snakes Albert, thanks for posting the pics mate
Thanks dave. Glad you enjoyed the pics.
Old 05-31-17, 02:04 PM   #24
Magdalen

Wooooooow. Are these San Francisco ones? They look like them, but I could be wrong. Cause I thought the San Fran ones were illegal to have since they have such a small habitat. Asking cause I love the looks of these. OOOok I answered my own question: They are not! haha. So pretty. Is there regulations about selling to someone in California if you know?

I actually went to a lecture about the Giant Garter snakes we get around my area... to go a little off the topic.
Old 05-31-17, 09:41 PM   #25
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalen View Post
Wooooooow. Are these San Francisco ones? They look like them, but I could be wrong. Cause I thought the San Fran ones were illegal to have since they have such a small habitat. Asking cause I love the looks of these. OOOok I answered my own question: They are not! haha. So pretty. Is there regulations about selling to someone in California if you know?

I actually went to a lecture about the Giant Garter snakes we get around my area... to go a little off the topic.
. Thanks. No. These are not T.S. Tetratenia (San Francico garter snake), who are federally protected. These are T.S. Infernalis (California red sided) whose conservation status is now threatened in the wild. I would think that selling them to someone in California could be illegal as they are a native species to the state.
T. Gigas ( Giant garter snake) also has a conservation status of "threatened". Native to California. Neither Infernalis nor Gigas are federally protected but are on the state level as native species that are threatened.

Last edited by Albert Clark; 05-31-17 at 09:47 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 06-01-17, 07:58 AM   #26
akane

I've been wanting a group of garters with blue! Price? (or pm me) if you are shipping them? How early can you tell gender on the species?
Old 06-01-17, 10:21 AM   #27
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Congratulations, Albert. A very nice garter sp. to look at for sure.
Old 06-01-17, 11:07 AM   #28
Magdalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
. Thanks. No. These are not T.S. Tetratenia (San Francico garter snake), who are federally protected. These are T.S. Infernalis (California red sided) whose conservation status is now threatened in the wild. I would think that selling them to someone in California could be illegal as they are a native species to the state.
T. Gigas ( Giant garter snake) also has a conservation status of "threatened". Native to California. Neither Infernalis nor Gigas are federally protected but are on the state level as native species that are threatened.
Yeah you're probably right. But man oh man these are lovely. I want one haha.
Old 06-01-17, 03:01 PM   #29
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane View Post
I've been wanting a group of garters with blue! Price? (or pm me) if you are shipping them? How early can you tell gender on the species?
. Sure! Will do the pm on the details. Once they start putting on size you can tell. Usually by popping them when they are this small. They have been a bit challenging to get started feeding. A couple are better feeders than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
Congratulations, Albert. A very nice garter sp. to look at for sure.
. Thanks Andy. They are nice to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalen View Post
Yeah you're probably right. But man oh man these are lovely. I want one haha.
Thank you. They are very colorful and can sometimes have a little attitude as youngsters as they put on a little size.
Old 06-07-17, 01:36 PM   #30
Albert Clark

These guys have been very challenging to get started on food. All of them have eaten several meals but have a ways to go before they are ready for new homes. Still waiting for my other female Cali to drop her litter. Stay tuned.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread