border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-16, 02:17 AM   #16
Kokorobosoi

Re: 2016 Albino Checkered..

Well now I'm confused. So I guess I've been wrong about the super this whole time.
Old 04-13-16, 04:38 AM   #17
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesoCorney View Post
It is no surprise that people get confused by terms like super because they are only industry terms. Technically a super is a homozygous form of a incomplete dominant genetic trait just as a visual is a homozygous form of a recessive trait. So in a way you are not that far off Albert.
Thanks MC for the clarification. I do see the super form in my albino pastel het granite checkered garter believe then. Seeing as she has the pastel gene and the granite gene which she is het for. However her parents are both pastels het for granite but the hatchling appears as a yellowish practically albino animal and looks nothing like the parents? I will post pictures of her later today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokorobosoi View Post
Well now I'm confused. So I guess I've been wrong about the super this whole time.
Koko, you see Super forms when there is a codominant gene that is bred to the same. Fire to fire. Lesser to lesser , mojave ,and pastel. Resulting offspring look different than the parent gene. Most times a super ends up being a all white snake.
Old 04-13-16, 05:36 AM   #18
Kokorobosoi

LOL....I tried reading the super explanation at 4am with no coffee in me. Don't mind me
Old 04-13-16, 06:51 AM   #19
SWDK

Thanks Albert. Makes more sense now. I appreciat the explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Thank you SW! This is not ignorance really and no need to be excused. Very good question that deserves a good answer. Albino being a recessive trait when bred to another recessive that has the same homozygous (visual) form will produce that trait visually. Or that recessive trait will be expressed. In some of the offspring there will be a higher blushing in the coloration and or patterning. This will make the animal look lighter and sometimes the markings however reduced can appear more vivid in places on the animal.
2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
Old 04-13-16, 10:25 AM   #20
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDK View Post
Thanks Albert. Makes more sense now. I appreciat the explanation.
Good. Sorry for the mix up. Now i did want to show you a example in this other clutch that i had on 4- 9- 16 with a pair of pastel checkered het for granite checkered garters. The parents are pastel checkered 100% het for granite checkered. They had a 3 hatchling litter with 2 regular pastels being born and one albino/ white hatchling that appears to be a super pastel or a albino pastel that could be ruled a super. In picture #1 the hatchling on top came from pastel checkered parents. The hatchling in picture #1 on the bottom came from two albino checkered parents. The hatchling in picture #2 is the sibling to the hatchling in picture #1 (bottom). Codom pastel vs. recessive albino.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3217.jpg (20.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3216.jpg (17.4 KB, 32 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 04-13-16, 10:32 AM   #21
macandchz

congratulations, al! glad the one having problems at first is ok,too.
Old 04-13-16, 10:34 AM   #22
Albert Clark

These 2 are the siblings from the Pastel checkered het granite litter from 4-9-16. The hatchling in picture #1 (top) was the one sibling to these two. I think hatchling in picture #1 is a super pastel checkered het for granite. Or super albino pastel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (21.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-13-16, 10:38 AM   #23
Albert Clark

Sibling #2 from the pastel checkered litter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (22.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-13-16, 10:44 AM   #24
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandchz View Post
congratulations, al! glad the one having problems at first is ok,too.
Thanks mac! Yeah , the little guy is doing well. He hasn't taken a meal yet but sometimes it can take up to 1 week for them to take a meal. Other times they will need a live feeding to get them started. Haha.
Old 04-13-16, 11:16 PM   #25
bigsnakegirl785

I really like the lighter albinos, whether they're super pastels or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Thanks MC for the clarification. I do see the super form in my albino pastel het granite checkered garter believe then. Seeing as she has the pastel gene and the granite gene which she is het for. However her parents are both pastels het for granite but the hatchling appears as a yellowish practically albino animal and looks nothing like the parents? I will post pictures of her later today.

Koko, you see Super forms when there is a codominant gene that is bred to the same. Fire to fire. Lesser to lesser , mojave ,and pastel. Resulting offspring look different than the parent gene. Most times a super ends up being a all white snake.
Or like in boa constrictors, breeding hypo to hypo, jungle to jungle, Roswell to Roswell, motley to motley, so on and so forth. None of these result in all-white snakes, I think that's mostly limited to ball pythons.
Old 04-13-16, 11:27 PM   #26
RAD House

It has nothing to do with ball pythons it is the type of genetic trait which occur among numerous species in the entire animal kingdom including our selves. Not all "supers" or heterozygous incomplete dominant morphs are white even in the ball python world.
Old 04-14-16, 12:59 AM   #27
Little Wise Owl

Wow, congrats

I've thought about adding a pair of albino checkered garters to our family. They're pretty neat
Old 04-14-16, 05:28 AM   #28
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
It has nothing to do with ball pythons it is the type of genetic trait which occur among numerous species in the entire animal kingdom including our selves. Not all "supers" or heterozygous incomplete dominant morphs are white even in the ball python world.
Correct....
Old 04-14-16, 10:00 AM   #29
sirtalis

Congrats man, thanks for the explanation about the super morphs Will you be holding any back for future breeding projects?
Old 04-14-16, 11:03 AM   #30
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Um. I think you misread? That's exactly what I said. I said the white supers were limited to ball pythons. I listed a bunch of super forms of boa constrictors...I kinda realize supers aren't limited to ball pythons. As far as other white supers, I said I think it's mostly limited to ball pythons, because I see few other super forms in other snakes that result in all-white animals. The only super in boa constrictors that results in white animals is the super fire/White Diamond.
Closed Thread