border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-13, 01:45 PM   #16
Kettennatter

Re: A Goodbye to Minnows

Just a quick update: After back and forth between guppies and thawed wild caught salmon, I oddly ended up with earthworms and pinky mice. I'm not sure when and how they are eating them, but both the worms and F/T pinkies disappear.

I tried long and hard with guppies, but while they used to hit the minnows like crazy, they in turn would have nothing to do with the guppies.

And yes, my female garter is still doing fine.
0.2.3 Corn (2 normal/1 anery/1 anery motley/1 snow) / 0.0.1 KSB / 1.0 Yuma King / 1.0 Durango Mountain King / 0.1 BCI / 1.1 Oregon Garter / 1.0 Everglade Rat Snake / 1.0 Coastal Carpet / 0.1 Bull Snake
Old 07-20-13, 12:29 PM   #17
GarterGirl

I've heard a few people say that rosy minnows and goldfish are stronger in scent and have more movement, so the snakes have a stronger response to them and basically get spoiled. You just have to keep trying with the guppies (though if you can get them, platys and mollys are supposed to be ok as well). Have you considered frozen silversides? My babies eat them pretty well (after working on converting them for a few months...)
Old 07-21-13, 08:07 AM   #18
Kettennatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarterGirl View Post
I've heard a few people say that rosy minnows and goldfish are stronger in scent and have more movement, so the snakes have a stronger response to them and basically get spoiled. You just have to keep trying with the guppies (though if you can get them, platys and mollys are supposed to be ok as well). Have you considered frozen silversides? My babies eat them pretty well (after working on converting them for a few months...)
No, I haven't considered silversides yet, thanks a lot for the suggestion. I will have to see if they are available locally. The theory about minnows having a stronger scent and more movement makes sense. Problem is that my younger garter was a slow feeder and I started her on minnows. But I do agree that I probably spoiled them. They used to take thawed salmon w/o a problem and now they won't touch it.
0.2.3 Corn (2 normal/1 anery/1 anery motley/1 snow) / 0.0.1 KSB / 1.0 Yuma King / 1.0 Durango Mountain King / 0.1 BCI / 1.1 Oregon Garter / 1.0 Everglade Rat Snake / 1.0 Coastal Carpet / 0.1 Bull Snake
Old 07-22-13, 02:21 PM   #19
GarterGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettennatter View Post
No, I haven't considered silversides yet, thanks a lot for the suggestion. I will have to see if they are available locally. The theory about minnows having a stronger scent and more movement makes sense. Problem is that my younger garter was a slow feeder and I started her on minnows. But I do agree that I probably spoiled them. They used to take thawed salmon w/o a problem and now they won't touch it.
I'd go out and by some mollies or platies (larger, more colorful, stronger smell than guppies). Then, when you are feeding, put some frozen silversides in there with them. The garters will accidentally grab them as well as fish (especially if it's a smaller bowl you feed them in). This gets them used to the taste.
I've made a fairly diverse diet for mine- still do guppies and other live fish, as well as the silversides as the main staple. I offer cut worms on a weekly basis, and occasionally- F/T frog legs (de-boned, which can be a pain) when I can get them. Some of mine will take worms, some wont. Some love the frog, others can't stand it. All of them like the silvers and live fish, though.

Good luck on your picky eater!
Old 07-24-13, 09:23 AM   #20
Kettennatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarterGirl View Post
I'd go out and by some mollies or platies (larger, more colorful, stronger smell than guppies). Then, when you are feeding, put some frozen silversides in there with them. The garters will accidentally grab them as well as fish (especially if it's a smaller bowl you feed them in). This gets them used to the taste.
I've made a fairly diverse diet for mine- still do guppies and other live fish, as well as the silversides as the main staple. I offer cut worms on a weekly basis, and occasionally- F/T frog legs (de-boned, which can be a pain) when I can get them. Some of mine will take worms, some wont. Some love the frog, others can't stand it. All of them like the silvers and live fish, though.

Good luck on your picky eater!
They are slowly getting used to the guppies, taking more and more with each feeding. I will add the silversides to their diet fairly soon, thanks again for the suggestion.

I'd still like to get them to take pinkies, and they are rather spotty in that regard.

I'm just happy that my female garter with the previous B1 deficiency, who is also my picky eater, is now back to her old feisty self. It took me forever to feed her vitamin-coated pieces of salmon. And during that time, she just rested on my palm, which seems awfully passive for a garter.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread