border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-12, 12:26 PM   #1
stormydawn2012

Unhappy ribbon snake lost for five months and found under my neighbors pool. she is not actin

My two yr old ribbon snake named runaway is not eating, moving or reacting to much.
her left eye is blood red and swollen, i do not have the money for a exotic vet and need opinions on how to help her at home.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-20-12, 12:38 PM   #2
infernalis

Re: ribbon snake lost for five months and found under my neighbors pool. she is not a

any pics?? pictures are helpful

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 05-20-12, 01:22 PM   #3
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Re: ribbon snake lost for five months and found under my neighbors pool. she is not a

hello and welcome

could you please post some pictures,then we may be able to advise you,of the best course of action

cheers shaun
Old 05-20-12, 02:38 PM   #4
marvelfreak
Captain America

Hello and welcome. Long with pictures we could use some more detail to help use help you. Do you know how her eye got this way? What kind of cage set up do you have her in?
What are her temperatures? Pictures of her cage could really help to.
Old 05-20-12, 04:50 PM   #5
whoaxmary

Send a message via AIM to whoaxmary Send a message via MSN to whoaxmary

Glad to hear you found her.
Don't bother throwing food at her again just yet, you might just freak her out more.
Give the boys above some pictures and they'll help you out a ton.
Old 05-25-12, 08:22 PM   #6
stormydawn2012

Unhappy Re: ribbon snake lost for five months and found under my neighbors pool. she is not a

I uploaded a pic to my profile. I do not know if she scrated her eye or if my neighbors cat got ahold of her.
Shes not eating or getting in her water (which was her favorite thing to do before somebody let her out)
she attempted to bite me yesterday which oddly enough made me happy because shes showing little signs of improvement.
And the lump on her mouth is a big brown round one.
Idk what to do other than give her time to heal because i can not afford a vet visit right now which really sucks cause i hate seeing her like this. My little sisters love my ribbon snake called runaway. They have been helping alot with holding and caring for her.
Tomorrow i will take a better picture of her eye and mouth.
(If u see a lump on her back it was there a year ago when i bought her from the pet store. Idk what that lump is neither but the pet store owner said it was harmless...but then again he's sold me animals that died from things he called "harmless")
This snake may be wht some people say (not a real snake) due to its small size and lack of teeth but ive had her a pretty long time and have grown attached to her.
Im hoping she pulls though
Old 05-25-12, 08:24 PM   #7
stormydawn2012

I bought her some crickets earlier (her favorite food besides fish) and shes just letting them crawl allover her
Old 05-25-12, 09:16 PM   #8
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormydawn2012 View Post
I bought her some crickets earlier (her favorite food besides fish) and shes just letting them crawl allover her
Get rid of the crickets and put live feeder fish in the water bowl to swim.

Garter Snake Care Sheet

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 05-25-12, 09:17 PM   #9
infernalis

Moved to Thamnophis forum.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 05-25-12, 09:19 PM   #10
buffcoat

Like the folks said before do not feed her anything for a while. Take some pictures and post em up. The amount of knowledge on this site is incredible. The most important thing is that she's back where she can be cared for. Now take a deep breath and everything will work out.

Most of my friends are cold blooded
Login to remove ads
Old 05-25-12, 09:56 PM   #11
stormydawn2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
Get rid of the crickets and put live feeder fish in the water bowl to swim.

Garter Snake Care Sheet
Thats what i was thinking but she lets the feeder fish die and wont eat them :/ shes starting to move around more and tried to bite me a few minutes ago which let me know shes feeling atleast a lil better. The pet store says she can eat pinky mice but her mouth does not seem big enough to eat one plus with her poor health at the moment i know she wouldnt even attempt to eat a pinky.
im afraid that if she is blind in her scratched eye (her left eye) then she may be having trouble spotting her food.
I do alot of research on all snakes including the ribbon snakes and i never found any kind of health problem that would cause a random lump on her mouth or the lump on her back (which could possibly be a parasite infestation) but shes had it since i bought her ad it dont seem to bug her at all.
I would attach a photo to one of my comments but my phone wont let me.
Old 05-25-12, 10:11 PM   #12
stormydawn2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaxmary View Post
Glad to hear you found her.
Don't bother throwing food at her again just yet, you might just freak her out more.
Give the boys above some pictures and they'll help you out a ton.

Thank you she gave my neighbors a bit of a scare but atleast shes home now.
shes a toothless snake (besides a few in the back of her mouth to help her swallow her food) so idk why anyone would fear her ha.
My brother owns a beautiful six foot long ballpython that hes had for ten years and people run from her but in the ten years we have had her she hasn't bit anyone the only thing she does is hisses or trys to climb down peoples legs to run off lol
Old 05-25-12, 10:16 PM   #13
buffcoat

I just bought feede fish for $0.20 each. Twenty cents mate. Do what Wayne and everyone else has said. Take the crickets out, put some feeder fish in, post some pics when you can and most important, relax. Lots of folks on here have been doing this for many many years. Remember what a caresheet might tell you and how others have fixed the problem are two different things.

Like I said before just take a deep breath and things will work out.

Old 05-25-12, 11:18 PM   #14
stormydawn2012

I bought a bunch of feeders earlier for 12 cents for my piranhas. I gave my snake one but shes not giving it any attention at all. Shes laying under her heat lamp motionless.
Old 05-25-12, 11:36 PM   #15
buffcoat

That's fine. Let her lay there. Put yourself in her place. What would you do if you were "running free" for quite some time and all the sudden you had to "move back home"? She's stressed out. Its your job as a keeper to make her as comfortable as you can. Water heat and hides. Let her decide when to explore and when to stay put.

You said she bit you? Im gonna say that it was purely defensive. She's been out and about for some time and now she's "home". Remember, snakes don't rationalize like humans do. Ask any carpet python owner. Young ones tend to bite first then see if there is a problem. Just hang tight, get those pics up and let the people that know and care about their herps as much as you do give you sound information.

You're more than likely stressing her out more every time you mess with her. Just relax. It will be fine. You came to the right place.

Login to remove ads
Closed Thread