border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-14, 08:47 AM   #1
bigsnakegirl785

Garter Hasn't Shed Yet?

So, I've had Draco for just a littler over 3 months now and he hasn't shed yet. I'm not too worried, I'm just wondering how often baby garters shed? He's about 9in now (I finally managed to get him to stay still long enough to get a mostly accurate measurement). Because of his coloration, it's difficult for me to tell if he's going into blue. It doesn't help that he also goes through regular color changes. Some days he looks super pale, with "snow-tipped" scales, some days he looks as bright as the day he arrived, and some days he looks dark and his eyes look the color of dried blood. They're so dark, I can't even see his pupil or normal eye pattern. Then, the very next day he'll look completely different. I talked to one person who says her babies never shed during the winter, so could he just be holding out for spring? I'm just excited to finally see that little strip of skin in his tank. Other than that, he appears to perfectly fine. He's eating and pooping regularly and is highly active, coming out once the light turns on and stalking the people of the house like he usually does. He doesn't look like he's retaining a shed, and he feels super soft to the touch like Bud and Cloud feel when they're shedding, whereas he's always felt sort of coarse. I thought that meant he was shedding, but he's been like that for several weeks now.

Here's what I mean by "snow-tipped." You can see how the edge of each scale is tinged with white:
Old 01-11-14, 12:12 PM   #2
drumcrush

Re: Garter Hasn't Shed Yet?

Mine actuall shed recently. Maybe a couple weeks ago. What are you feeding and how often?? Cause when they are small and feeding on nightcrawlers, they don't really grow that fast so they don't shed that often. As soon as you put them on pinkies, they grow rapidly! Mine has had her 4th pinky the other day and she has definitely been growing a lot!
Old 01-11-14, 01:40 PM   #3
bigsnakegirl785

He gets fed 2 live guppies every week. He won't eat anything else. I've been offering him scented pinky parts in an attempt to switch him, but he freaks out like it's trying to eat him or something. He won't eat earthworms or fish filet, either. He has grown a decent amount since I got him. I couldn't accurately measure him, but I'm guessing he was 6-7 inches, 8 at most.
Old 01-11-14, 02:08 PM   #4
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
He gets fed 2 live guppies every week. He won't eat anything else. I've been offering him scented pinky parts in an attempt to switch him, but he freaks out like it's trying to eat him or something. He won't eat earthworms or fish filet, either. He has grown a decent amount since I got him. I couldn't accurately measure him, but I'm guessing he was 6-7 inches, 8 at most.
Have you tried cutting up nightcrawlers? I would definitely try to get some nightcrawlers in that diet cause an all fish diet isn't very good in the long run. Male garter snakes will probably also have a slower growth rate, knowing that they stay smaller and skinnier. I just continued to feed my garter guppies and nightcrawlers until she was big enough for pinkies. I had to brain the first 2 though. Now she takes them, and actually gets aggressive with them lol.

Oh, and as far as the color changes go, mine seems to do that too:/ not sure what it is.
Old 01-11-14, 02:24 PM   #5
bigsnakegirl785

Yes, I've tried cutting them up, I've tried small whole ones. I've tried everything I can think of and everything I've ever read on switching garters...nothing has worked. Scented, un-scented, it doesn't matter. I have managed to get a few pinky and worm pieces in him by pushing them in his mouth behind the fish. Unfortunately, he swallows the fish so quickly I can't always do it. Either way, he isn't taking them voluntarily.
Old 01-11-14, 02:36 PM   #6
drumcrush

I've heard of people mixing cut up worms and fish together. Maybe try that? Then maybe try adding pinky parts later
Old 01-11-14, 02:46 PM   #7
bigsnakegirl785

I can try, but I'll have to find the smelliest fish I can and see if that will get his attention. I've only tried tilapia and salmon filet so far. There's certainly no way I'm stuffing a guppy with worms....
Old 01-11-14, 02:49 PM   #8
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
I can try, but I'll have to find the smelliest fish I can and see if that will get his attention. I've only tried tilapia and salmon filet so far. There's certainly no way I'm stuffing a guppy with worms....
Alrighty, well do what you can and give it a shot
Old 01-11-14, 03:11 PM   #9
wrecker45

I feed my garters every 3 days. They digest faster than other snakes.
1.Corn snake. 1.Mexican milk snake. 2.California king snakes. 2. Western hognose snakes. 1. Pastel checker garter. 1. Checker garter. 1.Columbian red tail boa. 1. Ball python. 1. Smooth green snake. 1. Five lined skink. 1. Grey tree frog. 1. Chinese water dragon. 3 Bearded Dragons. 2 Leapard Geckos. 1. Black cat. and Lucy my border collie/lab.
Old 01-11-14, 03:21 PM   #10
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker45 View Post
What are you feeding it? Different foods = different digestive rate
Login to remove ads
Old 01-11-14, 03:44 PM   #11
wrecker45

The bigger one pinkies. The smaller on nightcrawlers salmon fillet.
1.Corn snake. 1.Mexican milk snake. 2.California king snakes. 2. Western hognose snakes. 1. Pastel checker garter. 1. Checker garter. 1.Columbian red tail boa. 1. Ball python. 1. Smooth green snake. 1. Five lined skink. 1. Grey tree frog. 1. Chinese water dragon. 3 Bearded Dragons. 2 Leapard Geckos. 1. Black cat. and Lucy my border collie/lab.
Old 01-11-14, 05:35 PM   #12
drumcrush

Quote:
The bigger one pinkies. The smaller on nightcrawlers salmon fillet.
I feed my albino 1 pinky a week. When she was on worms, I would feed every other day.
Old 01-11-14, 06:01 PM   #13
wrecker45

Going to try the smaller one on pinkies tomorrow.
Old 01-11-14, 06:03 PM   #14
drumcrush

Quote:
Going to try the smaller one on pinkies tomorrow.
Good luck!
Old 01-12-14, 03:44 PM   #15
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
It depends on what you feed them. The care sheets I read agree pretty close to this:

6-8 days for live fish
3-4 days for fish filet w/ supplements unless on a mixed diet
every other day for earthworms w/ supplements unless on a mixed diet
1 week for rodents

He is of a pretty good weight and he's grown visibly.
Closed Thread