Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-13, 10:48 AM   #1
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783
Interesting Crotalus hybrid

I have always had a soft spot for Crotalus rattlesnakes. The blunt face, forward-set eyes, glaring supraocular scales and perfectly round, pronounced heat pits are just gorgeous to me! I've been the owner of a Crotalus oreganus oreganus that I got from a "friend" in a sad, emaciated condition...but I always found myself ogling diamondbacks at every reptile show.

I was working the Hamburg, PA show this past Saturday with a few friends and noticed this stunning fellow on the table:

It was a male Mojave (Crotalus scutulatus) x Prairie (Crotalus viridis viridis) hybrid. I'd never seen anything quite like his busy pattern and camo colors.
At the end of the show, the seller was shocked he hadn't sold and didn't want to take him home since he didn't fit into any breeding plans. He offered me the snake at a price I simply couldn't pass up .

I'm absolutely thrilled with this rattler. He is one of the calmest, most laid-back buzztails I've worked with. He has 12 links on his rattle, and is pushing 4 feet long and taking down medium f/t rats with ease! He's got quite the LOUD rattle too- he buzzed a bit the first night and I could hear him clearly at the other end of the hallway with the snake room door closed! He's calmed down even more now, and usually greets me with a few rattles before relaxing and watching me from the front of the cage. He's got a Boamaster trap/hide box but I have yet to see him leave the front area of the cage. He seems quite curious and alert. He ate for me on Wednesday too, which always makes me happy.

I'm looking forward to enjoying this fellow..CAREFULLY....for years to come!

P.S. I named him Sinestro. It seemed fitting for such a sinister-looking critter.

For those who are curious about the venom, we aren't sure exactly what is going to be going on with this guy's complex. Mojave rattlesnakes possess a venom considered by many to be the most potent and debilitating of any North American species. This is due to the presence of a very strong presynaptic neurotoxin, Mojave toxin, that varies in potency with the locality of the snakes and results in visual disturbances, inability to swallow and speak, flaccid paralysis and seizure. A very small subpopulation possess a milder version of the Mojave toxin (venom A) but the vast majority produce the stronger venom B. Some localities of Prairie rattlesnakes also produce Mojave toxin A. Other components include hemorraghins, procoagulants, proteinase inhibitors, nucleosides, and potentially bioactive amines, nerve growth factors, and myotoxins.
Cro-FAB was produced using large percentages of Mojave venom, so it is particularly effective against venoms containing the Mojave toxin. Regardless, I plan to be verry careful to avoid a bite from this fellow!
Old 06-14-13, 10:51 AM   #2
sweatshirt

Re: Interesting Crotalus hybrid

Nice, congrats
Old 06-14-13, 11:26 AM   #3
SikSol

Very Nice! Can't believe he didn't sell but lucky for you at least! I need to make my way up to the hamburg show soon.
Old 06-14-13, 11:27 AM   #4
Will0W783

I know...I can't believe he didn't sell either! After I brought him back to my table people were ogling him and oohing all over him. I'm happy he's mine though- he's really neat.
Old 06-14-13, 12:29 PM   #5
MDT

Kim...cool looking hybrid. Interesting article about the neurotoxicity of some Crotaline snakes.

Richardson WH, Goto, C. S., Gutglass, D.J., Williams, S.R., Clark, R.F. Rattlesnake Envenomation with Neurotoxicity Refractory to Treatment with Crotaline Fab Antivenom. Clinical Toxicology. 2007

Thought you may enjoy
Login to remove ads
Old 06-14-13, 01:26 PM   #6
Will0W783

Thanks MDT! I get access to free full text articles through my work, so I'm definitely pulling this one up on Pubmed.
Old 06-15-13, 01:25 AM   #7
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Wow! Quite the color and pattern on this guy, I rather like it.
Old 06-15-13, 08:40 AM   #8
brylecc1989

He's awesome Kim!!
Old 06-15-13, 09:31 AM   #9
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
Thanks MDT! I get access to free full text articles through my work, so I'm definitely pulling this one up on Pubmed.
Let me know what you think of the article....I have yet to treat a bite that is refractory to CroFab. The snakes here in OK are (not to trivialize) pretty standard. Lots of copperhead and the occasional rattlesnake....
Old 06-15-13, 12:50 PM   #10
Will0W783

My school apparently doesn't get that journal so I had to request it from Interlibrary loan. I'll let you know as soon as I get it.
Old 09-08-13, 07:07 AM   #11
warehouse13fan

Beautiful hybrid! I love rattlesnake hybrids, they always seem laid back and relaxed
Old 09-08-13, 08:11 AM   #12
Reptarman

Talking Re: Interesting Crotalus hybrid

Congrats! Wish I had your luck, except with beardies
Closed Thread

Tags
crotalus, mojave, rattlesnake, scutulatus, viridis