border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-15, 07:35 AM   #1
Sparrow

Corn snake won't eat...?

So my corn snake (3y,male) won't eat since 3 weeks. I tried everything, he tries to eat them but then leaves them. I tried feeding him in a box, his terrarium, outside, on a tree, on the ground but nothing works. Any ideas?
Login to remove ads
Old 06-04-15, 08:27 AM   #2
grantlapaz

Send a message via Skype™ to grantlapaz
Re: Corn snake won't eat...?

I'm not a pro about snakes, I'm only just getting into them; But from what I've seen here so far, you're totally fine. Sometimes they just get stubborn and wont eat for a while but will eat eventually.

I honestly am not very educated but decided to post because nobody has so far
Old 06-04-15, 08:45 AM   #3
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Welcome and best wishes Sparrow. What are your temps and humidity like? Any recent changes in your setup? I always double check my husbandry first when I have any issues with my snakes. If your husbandry is on par and the snake isn't losing a significant amount of weight, or showing other obvious signs of illness, I wouldn't worry. It could be due to breeding season or he just might be taking an unexplained food break. My kings will do the same thing from time to time. My Cal King hasn't eaten in 4 weeks now but he's done this before so I'm not concerned. I'll keep offering food every 7-10 days until he turns on again.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 06-05-15, 07:46 AM   #4
Sparrow

Everything's the same, though this time I bought slightly bigger mice, since I noticed that the old mice I was giving him were way to small. Thanks, I'll just keep trying. He's active nearly the whole day going around in and out of the terra (I let him out quite often).
Old 06-05-15, 02:06 PM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Everything's the same, though this time I bought slightly bigger mice, since I noticed that the old mice I was giving him were way to small. Thanks, I'll just keep trying. He's active nearly the whole day going around in and out of the terra (I let him out quite often).
I wouldn't worry just yet Sparrow if he's still active and not losing weight. My king ate for the first time in 4 weeks last night. He refused a jumbo mouse but took a chick. Do you feed live or f/t? If f/t are your feeders completely thawed and served up warm to your snake?
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 06-06-15, 04:02 AM   #6
Sparrow

i warm them up, sometimes in water but usually I just put them out for 30 min. Thanks, ill keep on trying to feed him every few days, i just feel sorry for all those wasted mice lives
Old 07-14-15, 10:01 AM   #7
No1stunner

Did he finally eat??
Old 07-16-15, 03:51 PM   #8
Sparrow

No, and if he won't today I'll bring him to the vet. Let's hope he can help.
Old 07-16-15, 04:06 PM   #9
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
No, and if he won't today I'll bring him to the vet. Let's hope he can help.
Have you tried a small live feeder Sparrow? A year ago my king stopped eating for almost 3 months. He didn't lose much weight but it was frustrating. I tried a live small mouse fuzzy which he took down pretty quickly. It took two more live feedings and he went back to f/t with no problems. Sometimes you just have to jump start their appetites. Best wishes.
Old 07-16-15, 06:29 PM   #10
SSSSnakes

Corn snakes do not need you to heat up the frozen mouse, you only need to defrost it. They do not sense heat. I think you are worrying way to much in the short time the snake has not eaten. Give it more time and only start to be concerned if the snake starts to lose a lot of weight. Keep trying to feed it every couple of weeks.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-16-15, 06:49 PM   #11
Albert Clark

Quote:
So my corn snake (3y,male) won't eat since 3 weeks. I tried everything, he tries to eat them but then leaves them. I tried feeding him in a box, his terrarium, outside, on a tree, on the ground but nothing works. Any ideas?
Also , you have to make a decision on where you are going to feed him and stick to that! You are confusing the poor guy when its feeding time. Be consistent on your location to feed him and don't handle him anymore until he takes a meal, simple.
Closed Thread

Tags
corn snake, corn snake feeding, feeding, feeding problems