sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-14, 04:58 AM   #1
reptiletalk

Reptile Care

Hey guys,

It took me several months to create a considerable database of reptile pets. i am trying to cover all the basic ones and slowly slowly add some rare also. Ever profile has a downloadable pdf with care sheet and basic info about the reptile.

https://www.reptiletalk.com.cy/reptile-care/

Let me know what do you think?

Any proposals about new profiles are welcome. Also let me know if you find any mistakes.

0.1 BCC Suriname
Login to remove ads
Old 12-20-14, 06:28 AM   #2
marvelfreak
Captain America

Re: Reptile Care

On the Brazilian Rainbow care sheet you might want to mention temps over 29C can be deadly to Rainbows. I always like to mention this to newbies so they know to watch the temps. Other than that the rest looks good.

Blood pythons i think it would be more informative if you add info about all three subspecies
1. Scientific name: Python brongersmai

Other common names: Red blood python, Malaysian blood python, Malaysian red blood python, Sumatran red blood python.

Common name: Borneo Python

Scientific name: Python breitensteini

Other common names: Borneo short-tailed python, Borneo blood python. [In light of the recognition of this taxon as a full species, we are proposing that the common name for this species be amended from “Borneo short-tailed python” to “Borneo python. This is the only python species that is endemic to the island of Borneo, and we feel that the common name “Borneo python” is both informative and the most concise name for this taxon.]

3. Scientific name: Curtus Curtus

Other names: Sumatran short-tailed python, Black Bloods or SSTP.

Also on the care sheet i think it always best to make sure adults have a water bowl big enough to soak in. To me it's a must because like anacondas the are so heavy body that they like to soak to relive some of the pressure all that weight put on their body. IMO
Old 12-20-14, 06:40 AM   #3
reptiletalk

About the blood python i was thinking about it....i might create a triple profile with three pics....one for each subspecies....the care of rainbow will be updated shortly.

Thanks for the time u took to check it out and for ur tips.

0.1 BCC Suriname
Old 12-20-14, 06:57 AM   #4
marvelfreak
Captain America

No problem. I also checked out Dumeril and Carpet one and they looked good. Figure i help advice on the one i have first hand experience with. Your doing a awesome job and it's looking really good. Keep up the great work.
Old 12-20-14, 07:05 AM   #5
reptiletalk

Thanks a lot.

0.1 BCC Suriname
Login to remove ads
Old 12-20-14, 08:18 AM   #6
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

i'm NOT being cheeky but your Carpet Python care sheets a bit off mate

re humidty
Carpets shed just fine with 40% humidity there's no need to spray or mist to attain the high levels you suggest

UK room humidity is around 40% to 60% and when i kept carpets well into double figures,all of them shed perfect and complete every time

the Diamond group i have now shed perfect at that levels

re feeding
if you feed an adult every 2 weeks through out the year,you'll end up with a fat python

carpets are lean and muscular and imo adults should be fed according to how they look,and according to which season it is,every 2 to 4 weeks depending on season and how each individual looks

also sometimes the older a carpet gets the harder it can become to get them swapped over from mice to rats,and it takes a lot of mice to feed an adult carpet,i feed carpet hatchlings rats straight from the egg

my only exception is Diamond hatchlings which hatch smaller than the other carpets,my Diamond hatchlings get mice only until they are large enough to take rat pups

re your carpet description
i would take away all but the line,carpets come in variety of colours and patterns

re scientific name
Morelia Spilota Spilota

average size 2m to 3m,that said Diamonds and Coastals can get up to, 12 to 14 feet

life span 20 year plus

keeping difficulty = easy carpets are a hardy easy species to keep

imo your doing good work,you just need to fine tune some of your information

cheers shaun

Last edited by shaunyboy; 12-20-14 at 08:33 AM..
Old 12-20-14, 08:26 AM   #7
reptiletalk

Ok i will lower down the humidity levels to 50-60 and 70 on shedding period. I crossed many care sheets to end up with these humidity levels but of course personal experience from owners is more accurate. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Now what do you suggest from your experience for feeding schedule (adults)?

0.1 BCC Suriname
Old 12-21-14, 06:55 AM   #8
Zoo Nanny

May I suggest a couple of changes on the Blue Tongue Skink Care Sheet
Add Indonesia to distribution. Many Blue Tongue Skinks found in the pet trade are actually caught and exported out of New Guinea.
Dog food should not be a staple in their diet. Most dog and cat foods are loaded with fillers and preservatives, chicken is a much better staple used. Because of bacteria on meats it should be cooked before feeding. Skink have a more difficult time with bacteria than other reptiles.
Water bowls should be available large enough for bathing. Every skink I have worked with bathed frequently. When getting ready to shed will spend hours each day soaking.
Old 12-21-14, 12:59 PM   #9
reptiletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Nanny View Post
May I suggest a couple of changes on the Blue Tongue Skink Care Sheet
Add Indonesia to distribution. Many Blue Tongue Skinks found in the pet trade are actually caught and exported out of New Guinea.
Dog food should not be a staple in their diet. Most dog and cat foods are loaded with fillers and preservatives, chicken is a much better staple used. Because of bacteria on meats it should be cooked before feeding. Skink have a more difficult time with bacteria than other reptiles.
Water bowls should be available large enough for bathing. Every skink I have worked with bathed frequently. When getting ready to shed will spend hours each day soaking.
I did all the necessary changes. Thanks for your feedback.

0.1 BCC Suriname
Old 12-21-14, 05:46 PM   #10
Mikoh4792

I really like what you're doing with that webpage. Keep it up!

I'd make a few changes to the carpet python section. Rat pups are way too large for carpet hatchlings. Rat pups are just slightly bigger than adult mice, so I'd change that to rat pinks/fuzzies.

Also, they will not become overweight if fed weekly as adults. It just depends on the size of the prey items. There are many people who feed their carpets more frequently with smaller meals, and have had success in keeping them lean and muscular as opposed to fat and overweight.

The humidity does not need to be as high as 60%-70%. They do just fine with moderate humidity(around 40%-50%). I've actually never had any incomplete sheds with my carpets even with humidity as low as 35%...though I do make an effort to keep it in the moderate range(50%).
Login to remove ads
Old 12-21-14, 06:13 PM   #11
reptiletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
I really like what you're doing with that webpage. Keep it up!

I'd make a few changes to the carpet python section. Rat pups are way too large for carpet hatchlings. Rat pups are just slightly bigger than adult mice, so I'd change that to rat pinks/fuzzies.

Also, they will not become overweight if fed weekly as adults. It just depends on the size of the prey items. There are many people who feed their carpets more frequently with smaller meals, and have had success in keeping them lean and muscular as opposed to fat and overweight.

The humidity does not need to be as high as 60%-70%. They do just fine with moderate humidity(around 40%-50%). I've actually never had any incomplete sheds with my carpets even with humidity as low as 35%...though I do make an effort to keep it in the moderate range(50%).
As you can see opinions vary i will wait to see if anything pops up until tomorrow and then i will update the care sheet after a more in depth research.

Thanks for the feedback.

0.1 BCC Suriname
Old 12-21-14, 06:25 PM   #12
Zoo Nanny

I'm very impressed with the amount of work that you have put into the page. Very informative and easy to navigate.
Old 12-21-14, 06:31 PM   #13
reptiletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Nanny View Post
I'm very impressed with the amount of work that you have put into the page. Very informative and easy to navigate.
I am trying my best. When i first started into reptiles 3 years ago in order to find accurate info about how to start and everything i was googling between websites and crossing data to get a final result. All i want to achieve is that in one website you can get the basic info that is needed.

I have to admit that i learned and still learning a lot of stuff during the whole process.

0.1 BCC Suriname
Old 12-21-14, 06:37 PM   #14
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptiletalk View Post
As you can see opinions vary i will wait to see if anything pops up until tomorrow and then i will update the care sheet after a more in depth research.

Thanks for the feedback.
"The Complete Carpet Python" by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander is a good in-depth book on carpet python care.
Old 12-21-14, 07:42 PM   #15
eminart

Nice job! I was surprised to find that you not only included the eastern indigo, but your info seems accurate as well. I think your temps might be just slightly high, but that's a matter of debate between keepers, and I think you're within a range that works for some people. So, no quarrel from me.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
care, reptile