sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-13, 07:55 PM   #1
dinosaurdammit

Send a message via Skype™ to dinosaurdammit
Emerald mouth injury

So my emerald got over excited and thrashed his face into a branch and cut his lip. Asking to look inside his mouth wasnt hard, i just had to look at him and make eye contact and he wanted to bite my face. I wanted to have a look inside to make sure he didnt damage anything- it seems to have just scratched his lip so I guess for now I will leave it alone as I think doing really anything for it would just aggravate and stress him more. I got some cool mouth shots though. Anyone know how to focus a Samsung phone camera to do detail stuff? it kept auto focusing in the wrong ways. A plus to it all is that ive never seen inside his mouth and I can honestly say that has to be a good thing because his needle teeth scare me.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-29-13, 08:01 PM   #2
TheFrogman

Send a message via Skype™ to TheFrogman
Re: Emerald mouth injury

Awwwww poor guy, hes gorgeous. Put some Neosporin on a Q-Tip and dab it on, cant hurt.
Old 12-29-13, 08:11 PM   #3
dinosaurdammit

Send a message via Skype™ to dinosaurdammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrogman View Post
Awwwww poor guy, hes gorgeous. Put some Neosporin on a Q-Tip and dab it on, cant hurt.
ive just decided to not bother it for now. I am just going to bump up humidity a bit extra to keep it from getting dry. I will keep an eye on it though to make sure it doesnt get infected. Id take him to a vet but no vet ive seen deals much with monitors and i feel that it would be a waste of time on my monitor and myself. I dont think the stress would warrant something this minor.
Old 12-29-13, 08:35 PM   #4
Kera

Send a message via Skype™ to Kera

I think if you just tap on the area you want to focus on, it'll focus, and then take the picture. Or press and hold the capture button till it focuses on what you want. Don't hold me on that though Good to hear it doesn't look serious.
Old 12-30-13, 11:07 AM   #5
murrindindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaurdammit View Post
ive just decided to not bother it for now. I am just going to bump up humidity a bit extra to keep it from getting dry. I will keep an eye on it though to make sure it doesnt get infected. Id take him to a vet but no vet ive seen deals much with monitors and i feel that it would be a waste of time on my monitor and myself. I dont think the stress would warrant something this minor.
Hi, you need to keep the wound dry, NOT wet, that can cause infection! You can simply dab the area with some diluted iodine; 1 (one) part iodine to 50 (fifty) parts water (quite weak) and just do that once per day for the next few days, and make sure it doesn`t go inside the mouth.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-30-13, 12:00 PM   #6
formica

as said, wounds do better when they are dry and not exposed to very high humidity, water is just what bacteria needs to flourish in a wound.

doesnt look to bad tbh, just keep an eye on it and keep it clean as suggested, watch for any swelling over the next few days which might indicate the need for antibiotics or further inspection by a vet

great looking lizard
Old 12-30-13, 01:04 PM   #7
B_Aller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrogman View Post
Nobody pointed out that this is very bad info here.
Neosporin is a petroleum product and is not safe for use in reptiles. Oil based ointments actually prevent the wound from healing in reptiles and are not recommended.
Clean and disinfect the area if needed, proper husbandry support will allow a wound like this to heal fine in a matter of days.
Best.
Old 12-30-13, 06:21 PM   #8
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Aller View Post
Nobody pointed out that this is very bad info here.
Neosporin is a petroleum product and is not safe for use in reptiles. Oil based ointments actually prevent the wound from healing in reptiles and are not recommended.
Clean and disinfect the area if needed, proper husbandry support will allow a wound like this to heal fine in a matter of days.
Best.
I pointed that out to her privately.

Not too long ago one of my Boscs scraped his tail on the edge of the chimney tile, I didn't even as much as wash it. That scrape scabbed over and healed, covered in dirt... It's amazing what a little heat will do for them.

I also know of a case where an Ornate had an entire leg ripped off in combat, that 3 legged lizard carries on as if nothing happened.

Savannahmonitor.net
Closed Thread