border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-17, 05:33 AM   #1
Pastel

Question Ball or Spotted python?

So I want to get a snake in the far future, and I want to do research on what I should get, and then on how to take care of that snake specifically. I really like ball pythons but I'm not sure how big they get, big as in the thickness of the snake, not the length. I need to know how big a healthy one will be in their older years, (10+).

If they're too big for my preference, I want to know a little bit more about spotted pythons. It's harder to find sources on them and I thought i'd ask around on a forum to see if someone knew anything more.

So the things I want to know are: How thick do they get when they are older? Is this an okay snake for a beginner snake owner? What are their temperaments and care requirements compared to ball pythons?(From what I can gather they are pretty similar but I want to be sure) Are they slow moving and cling to your hand/arm like ball pythons do? (I have considered corn snakes but from watching videos they move a little too fast and it makes me nervous)

Thanks in advance!
Login to remove ads
Old 06-07-17, 08:01 AM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: Ball or Spotted python?

Hello.

Ball pythons are at the thicker end as they are a ground dwelling snake. However, with a proper diet they shouldn't be overly thick and should not pass 4 or 5 feet in length. They are generally very docile and what I would call a good 'cuddle' snake. Tgis does not mean they cuddle you, vut if you just want to chill on the couch for a movie or video game, they don't move much once settled in.

Spotted pythons are cool too. They will stay on the more slender side and max out at 3 to 4 feet. However, as babies they are fast and defensive. If cornsnakes make you nervous a spotted may not be a good idea. Their care is easy, but they are prone to striking. I got mine from a local store as he was known for flying out of his drawer at people's faces. It was harmless as he was the size of a glorified earth work, but they couldn't sell him to any one because of it. I have had him for over a year now and he never strikes any more, but he will kind of rear up defensively as if he will. I am sure that if I were less confident in handling him, he would probably still be a nippy little *******.

Hope this helps.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 06-07-17, 08:22 AM   #3
Pastel

Re: Ball or Spotted python?

Thanks for your response! What would you say you mean by should not be overly thick, like inches (or cm)? I probably wouldn't be comfortable with something bigger than 5 inches.

Also, it's not really the biting that makes me nervous, it's how fast they seem to move. I am going to a pet store soon (I'm not sure when) to actually hold snakes, so it could be easier to hold than I think it is. (I know a petstore probably isn't the best place to go but I need to go there anyway with my aunt, and she has owned a snake before.) But, I will take what you said into consideration.

I like ball pythons I just want to be able to hold him easily (Like my hands be big enough) when he's fully grown.
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, care, information, spotted python