sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-17, 08:35 AM   #1
Diveks

Question What reptile for paludarium

Hello,
I have an empty paludarium that i have had for about a year now and i was wondering what can i put in it. I would prefer a reptile rather than a frog. I can add uvb if the animal needs uvb. I was thinking about putting a crocodile skink in there but i heard that they like to hide. I want an animal that is usualy out and not shy. I would prefer a reptile with at least somewhat bright colours. The dimension of the paludarium 3X1X1 meter (it is longer than it is tall but its fairly tall). I would like to know everyone's suggestion of what to put in my paludarium thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 05-03-17, 09:29 AM   #2
jjhill001

Re: What reptile for paludarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diveks View Post
Hello,
I have an empty paludarium that i have had for about a year now and i was wondering what can i put in it. I would prefer a reptile rather than a frog. I can add uvb if the animal needs uvb. I was thinking about putting a crocodile skink in there but i heard that they like to hide. I want an animal that is usualy out and not shy. I would prefer a reptile with at least somewhat bright colours. The dimension of the paludarium 3X1X1 meter (it is longer than it is tall but its fairly tall). I would like to know everyone's suggestion of what to put in my paludarium thanks!
1 meter? So like 3 feet tall? Dang that's a pretty huge area.

Ideas, a little pack of green anoles would be wildly entertaining, I see you're in Indonesia do you have any similarly small sized mildly sociable lizard species that are available at your local stores.

Mourning Geckos are endemic to your area and would make a great choice for a terrarium such as this as would day geckos. I know the mourning geckos are quite sociable as well and are quite easy to care for.

You have a tremendous amount of space depending on how much of it is land. Look at some of the smaller species that you could have a colony of on top and as well as on the bottom. Research their care and then just dive in.

EITHER WAY, no matter what you decide I personally demand photos cause it sounds like an awesome setup.
Old 05-03-17, 10:05 AM   #3
RAD House

A gaggle of garter snakes could do really well in there. They are pretty inquisitive and come in an seemingly endless variety of colors. Being in Europe you may even be able to get your hands on some T.s. tetrataenia. Even though my garter set up is a fraction of yours it by far my most entertaining.
Old 05-03-17, 05:48 PM   #4
Diveks

Thanks for the suggestion ill post some pictures. When i first made my paludarium it was fish only paludarium. So there are TONS of plants. but then i relized i can put other things in it. I ll put some maybe vines hanging from the top and ill move some plants for more flat land. Maybe someone can tell me what to do with it so it is more suitable for a reptile to live in. And is there any way i can put a basilisk lizard in there? I saw someone selling their juveniles.
Old 05-03-17, 06:09 PM   #5
trailblazer295

I think a medium sized semi aquatic lizard would be awesome or pair of them. Basilisk look really cool, saw one at an expo once. I don't know anything about them.
Old 05-03-17, 06:26 PM   #6
Tiny Boidae

It's a little short for a basilisk in my personal opinion. I used to keep water dragons, which are similar in many respects, and I wouldn't stick them in anything shorter than five feet. Maybe a small turtle species would work? I know the sliders typically get pretty big, but I think the painted turtles stay a little smaller. I'm no turtle person of course. I just don't know of many semi-aquatic lizards that would thrive in that short of an enclosure.
Old 05-03-17, 06:53 PM   #7
Diveks

The paludarium is full of branches and not much floor space so i dont think a turtle would be a good idea. it has a bit more land than water with the lnd full of branches logs and plants so i need something that can climb. Is there any animal that is suitable for my paludarium?
Closed Thread

Tags
enclosure, lizard, paludarium, plants, reptile