border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-11, 09:46 PM   #121
emilybier

Re: retic mouth?

However, the general response (and the correct response) to your questions are "Take it to the vet". I've tried to treat animals on my own and it doesn't work. We just don't know enough and we can't see your baby.
Old 03-15-11, 10:38 PM   #122
Sapphyr

Send a message via MSN to Sapphyr Send a message via Skype™ to Sapphyr

We say he's being abusive, irresponsible, etc. because, despite what we told him, he refused to listen and take heed, even with a few of us sharing similar experiences where our animals died.

He seemed to lack any form of seriousness to the issue despite this, flip flopping between I'm taking it to the vet Saturday, I'm curing it myself, Gas is too high, I'm taking it Monday, I'm not taking it, I'm curing it myself again, Vets kill animals. It's ridiculous to claim you love your animal but carelessly throw its health around like it's not a big deal and it's unimportant.

Whether you like it or not, when you get a pet, you get the whole package. Meaning, you get illnesses, you get to pay for food, water, vet bills, enclosure, etc. You don't just get the pet and expect it to never get ill, or expect everything to be lollypops and sunshine, happy day! No, animals get sick, meaning somewhere down the line, a vet bill will need to be paid. As I've said, to expect not to is absolutely ridiculous, and you should realize this as a responsible pet owner.
Ryu - Adult Leopard Gecko(M)
Old 03-15-11, 10:44 PM   #123
Jendee

This is the thing..I have a new perspective on this..he is living with his parents he isn't legally an adult his parents may be the ones not wanting to take it to the vet. it is in the end at this point their responsibility although I don't see them having much just because they let there teenager buy a retic lol..Me being a mother would never ever allow that. Thats alot of snake for someone so new to reptiles. Also who knows how much experience/knowledge his parents have had. They may say the snake is fine and what is the kid to do at that point.

It would have been much better if hed come out and say it though instead of giving us the run around for what 10 pages now lol
Old 03-16-11, 02:32 AM   #124
Isaac's Ark

Reptiles Have proven a few incredible things in my history of keeping them either they are going to bounce back or die. Even though you consult with the animals breeder that means nothing I am a breeder. I am 28 now been doing this since I was 13 and was working in a zoo at your age. Trust me when I tell you we breeders know nothing. Everyday we learn 10 things just to forget 100 and come to a harsh reality that there is literally 1000's of things to discover today you found lesson #1 study it closely and if you are lucky in 5 years it will be one of the 100 things you forget when you learn about genetics. That being said lesson #2 is not going to be easy to for some to swallow. Your age is of no consequence to the situation. Your dedication and maturity in the hobby will forever be the deciding factor because I have seen 14 year old's working with hots successfully and command a great deal of respect because of the wealth of information they have soaked up and are capable of sharing today. Your situation is a bit how must I say it... touchy would fit well. You see I posted in this thread early on and gave you some advice

Quote:
seems like early signs of mouth rot it can be a bugger of an infection but rater simple to clear up if you are going to the vet soon you should be able to nip this one in the but. I am unaware of how you keep your retic housed but i noticed in my collection that a clean quarantine cage with a little TLC can put an abrupt end to such infections. Keep in mind something like this can become something much worst very fast especially when we are referring to the mouth region of snakes.
What you don't know about me is that I have a Animal Science Diploma in Veterinary assistance I attended college with one goal in mind I need to know how to use all the crazy veterinary tools even if it was just for my own collections progress. I then see the enclosure you are using and I almost cried. The Reticulated Python is the largest most intelligent and majestic species of pythons on earth and you can't keep it clean that is what bothers me not your age not the flip flop not even the reluctance to see a vet. The shear fact that you purchased this animal and could not provide basic care let alone quarantine care when things started to go down hill. When I originally saw the pictures if I felt the animal was in a dire conditions my reply would have indicated as much but the fact is I have seen animals bounce back with little to no change in husbandry care simply clinical quarantine and elevated temperatures with reduced humidity. This alone coupled with any diluted antibacterial solutions applied to the infected areas we use a 3 step strong clean, mild rinse and water rinse not to mention a shot of full spectrum antibiotics in order to protect the circulatory system form blood born pathogens such as IBD. I chose not to disclose the proper methods and still choose to keep this information off a public forum. Why? Because I am not a Doctor I spent 20'000 to learn for my self and my animals any malpractice on my behalf will lead to my own casualties not any one else'. You need to understand that owning one of the kings of the reptile world is a bold statement it says I am ready to play with the big boys there for you are treated as such and well big breeders and keepers are quick to call a foul when they see it especially in their own circles and well sSnakeSs.com is ours.

P.S Any one wanting to know what products we use for oral cleanings may PM us we can share this information just not publicly we try not to contribute information that would create a 13 year old first year expert we have learned quickly that we can piss out 1 ounce of information and end up with a pound of regurgitated lies.

P.P.S I still stand by the fact that I know nothing LOL

Isaac's Ark
Old 03-16-11, 02:57 AM   #125
Damion930

^^^ I like this guy lol
Login to remove ads
Old 03-16-11, 05:34 AM   #126
candyraver69

Scotty please try to find a vet that has experience with reptiles and get him in ASAP. Some of these guys might be a little harsh at times, but it is because they care so much about the animals and get emotional about it. Mean or not, they know what they are talking about.

I wouldnt trust a pet store as far as I can throw it, and some breeders are no different.

Some vets I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw them either! But not every vet is like that. Check around, look if you have a local reptile club that has a recommendation list. Sometimes you can find a vet that even though they don't know about reptiles are willing to consult with people who do to get your pet the treatment they need.

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a vet. In that case you really need to make the hard choice to find him a new home. See if there is a reptile shelter in your area. It's not easy, I've been there. I had to give up my burm and I loved her so much, enough to do the right thing. I was about your age and thought I could handle it (because I was mislead by petstore people) and was so wrong. It expensive to own pets. It doesn't mean you can never have a snake, it just means right now that snake deserves a good life. Someday when you have a job and can afford a $1000 vet visit on a whim would be a better time to own this type of pet.
Old 03-17-11, 12:49 PM   #127
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver69 View Post
Scotty please try to find a vet that has experience with reptiles and get him in ASAP. Some of these guys might be a little harsh at times, but it is because they care so much about the animals and get emotional about it. Mean or not, they know what they are talking about.

I wouldnt trust a pet store as far as I can throw it, and some breeders are no different.

Some vets I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw them either! But not every vet is like that. Check around, look if you have a local reptile club that has a recommendation list. Sometimes you can find a vet that even though they don't know about reptiles are willing to consult with people who do to get your pet the treatment they need.

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a vet. In that case you really need to make the hard choice to find him a new home. See if there is a reptile shelter in your area. It's not easy, I've been there. I had to give up my burm and I loved her so much, enough to do the right thing. I was about your age and thought I could handle it (because I was mislead by petstore people) and was so wrong. It expensive to own pets. It doesn't mean you can never have a snake, it just means right now that snake deserves a good life. Someday when you have a job and can afford a $1000 vet visit on a whim would be a better time to own this type of pet.
yeah pet stores are horrible when it comes to advice. well hopefully in the next few weeks i will have a job
Old 03-17-11, 12:58 PM   #128
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jendee View Post
This is the thing..I have a new perspective on this..he is living with his parents he isn't legally an adult his parents may be the ones not wanting to take it to the vet. it is in the end at this point their responsibility although I don't see them having much just because they let there teenager buy a retic lol..Me being a mother would never ever allow that. Thats alot of snake for someone so new to reptiles. Also who knows how much experience/knowledge his parents have had. They may say the snake is fine and what is the kid to do at that point.

It would have been much better if hed come out and say it though instead of giving us the run around for what 10 pages now lol
thing about that is i had to convince my dad to let me get a snake because he is the one that hates them. my mother is becoming more comfortable with her and at least touches her and ever since i got the snake my dad hasnt been in my room lol. yea my mom was the reason why i had to cancel the appointment on saturday and the reason why the peroxide idea came up and then when the guy at the expo said to try it out (we didnt even mention it to him. i just showed him some pics and thats wat he said).
Old 03-17-11, 01:02 PM   #129
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Well, hopefully, this if nothing else has made you realise how people react when they dont know all the facts. To be honest you would have had a completely different response from me if you had given the full facts of the situation rather than chopping and changing your story.

Work on your parents to get them to let a vet check your snake out, show them this thread and let them read the responses - maybe it will help persuade them that the best course of action is professional intervention.

Good luck
Old 03-17-11, 01:04 PM   #130
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

any luck yet?
Old 03-17-11, 01:06 PM   #131
Jenn_06

i have to ask does your mom and dad know how big this snake is going to get? i mean if i was not into snakes and my son wanted one i would let him have a BP not a retic. What size did the breeder tell you she is going to be full grown?
Old 03-17-11, 08:13 PM   #132
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL_Boa View Post
any luck yet?
the swelling is almost completely gone
Old 03-17-11, 08:20 PM   #133
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_06 View Post
i have to ask does your mom and dad know how big this snake is going to get? i mean if i was not into snakes and my son wanted one i would let him have a BP not a retic. What size did the breeder tell you she is going to be full grown?
yea they know but i will be moved out by the time she reaches full length (not living alone of course). and the breeder told me to expect 16 or 17 feet. yea i would have gotten a BP but i wanted a monster because i thought that it would be enough for me to take care of, but snakes are addicting...
Old 03-18-11, 06:31 AM   #134
maitre

I'm glad the swelling is going down. I would still encourage you to take it to the vet when you get a chance just to get a lookover. A checkup should be <$100 so try to talk your parents into it.

Btw, I'm just curious to know how you're affording this snake at all. Do you have a part time job? Who is paying for its food, enclosures, etc? You said you're 17 so are you planning on going to university/college? Who is going to take care of the snake if/when you're in school? Most institutes don't allow giant snakes in their dorms.

It will take some time for your retic to reach full size but retics are known to hit 7- 10 feet in their first year. That isn't full size but it is still a large, large snake that will need at least a 4x2x1' enclosure. But then they keep growing and growing and you'll need larger and larger enclosures.

What's your long-term plan for this snake?
Old 03-18-11, 07:18 AM   #135
TeaNinja

honestly it's no one's business how he pays for the snake. wether he has a job or his parents pay for it makes no difference. this forum is to ask questions and give information, not to nitpick and demand information that no one should even be asking.
he will have to find somewhere appropriate to live and find proper housing for the snake. even if he doesn't, it's none of our business. we can offer him our opinions of what the right thing to do is, but i for one think everyone judging and demanding to know his future plans and nitpicking everything just to rant is just stupid.

if he does live with his parents and they let him get the snake/know he has it, they should know how big it gets and what it will need as an adult. if they don't they/he will have to deal with the consequences.

the thread is about the retics mouth.

Last edited by TeaNinja; 03-18-11 at 07:24 AM..
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread