Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-11, 01:25 PM   #106
scottyy

Re: retic mouth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitre View Post
Wow. Are you trying to convince the community or yourself?
i am not convincing anybody just saying i dont trust the vet around me. if he messes up on something as simple as a cat then would he even know how to treat my snake?
Old 03-15-11, 01:33 PM   #107
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitre View Post
If your snake develops septicemia, it will die. If your snakes jaw rots off, it will die. Your retic clearly has a mouth infection. Hydrogen peroxide is effective against minor superficial damage but it will not treat an infection that has spread deep down into the gums/muscles of your snakes mouth. It likely needs a course of antibiotic shots.
even if the swelling goes away?
Old 03-15-11, 02:45 PM   #108
Jay
Bcc fanatic

So you didnt take him to the vet?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayyboy16?feature=mhee
Old 03-15-11, 03:47 PM   #109
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyy View Post
well suppose i take her to the vet and the vet knows the peroxide would have worked but because i went to the vet he figures he should do something and gives my snake a shot, but he give her a shot that makes my snake worse and then she still dies or i have to take her back to the vet and pay for an overnight stay. and dont tell me that doesnt happen because that is exactly what happened when i took my grandmas cat to the vet once and thats the only time i have been to the vet might i add. and i figure that an exotic animal such as my snake is a little more complex than a dog or a cat so if they mess up on the cat then who knows what they would do to my snake
i dont understand... are you saying that you dont want to take it to a vet because your afraid it will give it a shot, for an obvious infection it has...??? the vet will not do something to hurt or kill your snake. they take a hippicratic oath (atleast im told) the same that doctors do. i owuld trust a vet and like previously stated, peroxide only cleans and dis infects minor superfical cuts and scrapes... not the superficial ones witch spead an infection through out the whole body possibly.
Old 03-15-11, 03:50 PM   #110
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

Quote:
i am not convincing anybody just saying i dont trust the vet around me. if he messes up on something as simple as a cat then would he even know how to treat my snake?
sorry i didnt see this post until after i posted... i owuld search up and look for an "exotic vet".. i am very lucky in my vet does both, but some normal vets wont handle exotics...

it is worth the long drive if you have to, usually a office visit is around $60 and depending on antibiotics and lenght of treatment i would say around $200 for the whole thing... and a healthy and long living snake...

* a mod can delete my previous post, sorry **
Old 03-15-11, 03:53 PM   #111
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
even if the swelling goes away?
banghead01.gif banghead01.gif banghead01.gif I tell you what if you don't want your snake to live keep doing nothing. If you want it to live PLEASE TAKE IT TO A VET. Better yet how about going an get your mommy or daddy and i can explain to them why it needs to go to the vet. Maybe they'll care enough about your snake to try saving it.
Old 03-15-11, 04:12 PM   #112
Jendee

omg how old are you scotty? Im willing to bet you are under 19!!
So now your saying you arent taking it to the vet because.....you think the vet will kill it???? when this whole thread has been, your taking it to the vet, you dont have the money for a vet, now Im self medicating, oh now i think the snake will die if i take it to the vet because that's what happened to my grandmas cat!!
Your lucky your on this forum, there are some great people here, other forums would have chewed you up and spit you out!!
If I knew your address I would be reporting you at this point for animal neglect, if your under age your parnets would be charged and the animal would be removed, hopefully your 18 so you could have been charged that snake would get a better home and maybe..maybe youd learn a lesson but going off this thread your not gonna learn a damn thing..people like you are why the reptile industry have such a bad name!!!
Old 03-15-11, 05:58 PM   #113
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

The worse thing is thst the treatment you are giving could well heal the external damage that is visible to you and just seal the infection into the jaw causing irreparable damage. I guess at least then when the snake dies you can convince yourself that it is something else that killed it and that you "cured" the mouth issue so you dont have to carry any guilt around.
Old 03-15-11, 06:10 PM   #114
Sapphyr

Send a message via MSN to Sapphyr Send a message via Skype™ to Sapphyr

Vet's aren't an all knowing being that can cure anything and everything. I don't blame Dr. Vice for any of our deaths. Sometimes it's just down to how severe the illness is, what it is, how long it's been there, how far it's gotten, etc. I've mentioned in other posts about FIP killing my cat. FIP has no cure. Dr. Vice tried his best to keep her going, but at the end of the day, FIP is a killer with no cure... and what we didn't want to happen happened, whether we like it or not. We don't blame Dr. Vice for her death.

With Alex? He was in surgery and his spleen or some sort ruptured. Once again, not the vet's fault.

Bottom line, sh__ happens. Get over it, stop being a baby. Your animal needs veterinary care and you're intentionally denying it that attention. At this point, you're currently ABUSING your animal via neglect to give it proper care and attention.

[sarcasm] Good job. [/sarcasm]
Ryu - Adult Leopard Gecko(M)
Old 03-15-11, 06:17 PM   #115
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
The worse thing is thst the treatment you are giving could well heal the external damage that is visible to you and just seal the infection into the jaw causing irreparable damage. I guess at least then when the snake dies you can convince yourself that it is something else that killed it and that you "cured" the mouth issue so you dont have to carry any guilt around.
Or he'll convince himself that the advice he got here was bad. Even though he ignore it. I know his type when it dies it be everybody, but his fault.
Old 03-15-11, 08:08 PM   #116
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jendee View Post
omg how old are you scotty? Im willing to bet you are under 19!!
So now your saying you arent taking it to the vet because.....you think the vet will kill it???? when this whole thread has been, your taking it to the vet, you dont have the money for a vet, now Im self medicating, oh now i think the snake will die if i take it to the vet because that's what happened to my grandmas cat!!
Your lucky your on this forum, there are some great people here, other forums would have chewed you up and spit you out!!
If I knew your address I would be reporting you at this point for animal neglect, if your under age your parnets would be charged and the animal would be removed, hopefully your 18 so you could have been charged that snake would get a better home and maybe..maybe youd learn a lesson but going off this thread your not gonna learn a damn thing..people like you are why the reptile industry have such a bad name!!!
i am 17... and let yet the second war on this post begin. thats y i have been seeking help outside of this forum. i have been talking with local breeders (including the one i bought her from) for advice on what to do so now dont worry she will be fine.
Old 03-15-11, 08:24 PM   #117
Damion930

Lol best of luck scotty a vet realy is the best bet for any ailment you are unsure of and though a bit far feched I understand your vet fear. Its best to search around for one you can trust I hope after this if all works out you will find one. Breeders and people on forums will not always be able to help you. I know you probly feel as if everyone is against but they arnt they are just concerned for the beautiful snake you have ther. Hope you can learn from this experience however it turns out
Old 03-15-11, 09:12 PM   #118
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
well thank you for explaining that (and i am not being sarcastic in any way).
Old 03-15-11, 09:17 PM   #119
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion930 View Post
Lol best of luck scotty a vet realy is the best bet for any ailment you are unsure of and though a bit far feched I understand your vet fear. Its best to search around for one you can trust I hope after this if all works out you will find one. Breeders and people on forums will not always be able to help you. I know you probly feel as if everyone is against but they arnt they are just concerned for the beautiful snake you have ther. Hope you can learn from this experience however it turns out
thank you and yes i have learned from this whether anybody believes it or not and i have learned that next time something like this happens that i have somebody i can call or email for advice instead of coming on here and being called irresponsible and being ridiculed for "giving the herp society a bad name". and yea definitely found a new vet because i will never trust that one again.
Old 03-15-11, 09:42 PM   #120
emilybier

I haven't read this ENTIRE thread because it is quite expansive, but I would like to say something scottyy. Anyone who hurt your feelings by calling you irresponsible only said it because they care about your animal and saving you from a loss.
It is not ok to say those things, but thats the reasoning.
If you are worried about people hurting your feelings or not, you probably shouldn't be involved a group with a common passion, especially when lives are at stake.
I live by the rule of thumb "if it looks like more than a slight irritation, take it to the vet quickly." If you don't live by that same rule, you will NOT like what people tell you here. I understand how hard it is to keep animals, especially exotics, and get by on next to nothing. I'm a student living in the red, but I know how to make a way for my animals. It can be done.
A note to everyone who posted anything defending/defeating scottyy vehemently: People respond MUCH better to positive reinforcement.
It is hard when you feel you could do better and save an animal, but this is scottyys animal. He is learning. He needs help, not to be chased away from a great source. There are better ways to make people aware that they need to change some things.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread