border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > sSNAKESs.com Forums > sSNAKESs.com

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-05, 11:51 AM   #91
DragnDrop

Well, I guess that's the difference between you and me. Sometims you like to stir things up, sometimes I like to calm them down.
It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it. I'm here for ssnakess... ssnakess the forum.... the place to hang out and discuss herps.
Old 03-19-05, 01:42 PM   #92
coldblooded

Wow, you guys are horrible... every thread starts out different, but ends up the same...

It's too bad. I enjoyed myself here.

Bye

Mike
Old 03-19-05, 01:43 PM   #93
coldblooded

Can my account, if that's what you call it, be deleted please.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-19-05, 01:44 PM   #94
HeatherRose

Send a message via MSN to HeatherRose
Why are posts being removed?
Old 03-19-05, 01:44 PM   #95
sSNAKESs.com

It would be very much appreciated if this thread could stay on topic. This thread was NOT started as a complaint thread. This was started as a way to give members a place to be heard about what they would like to see done with the site.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-19-05, 01:45 PM   #96
Ryan23

I was about to ask the same thing.

I am a long time member that just wanted to know why we weren't being treated with the respect we deserve as the ones who make this site what it was.

0.1 Eastern Indigo, 1.0 Hypo Bullsnake, 4.9 Corn Snakes, 0.1 Western Hognose, 0.2 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 0.0.1 Savannah Monitor.
Old 03-19-05, 01:46 PM   #97
Son of Creature

Whoa!!!!!! I mention responsibility to the advertisers and legal responsibility and it evapourates. Hmmmm. I guess the truth hurts, and should be hidden from the members. Gee that shows respect. And for what it matters, my first post did mention what I would like to see from the site, accountability!!!!! And it was a mod that changed the topic for the record.

Last edited by Son of Creature; 03-19-05 at 01:50 PM..
Old 03-19-05, 01:51 PM   #98
Ryan23

Quote:
It would be very much appreciated if this thread could stay on topic. This thread was NOT started as a complaint thread. This was started as a way to give members a place to be heard about what they would like to see done with the site.
Actually we are expressing what we'd like to see done with the site.........for the Admin. to start taking responsibility for their actions or lack thereof!!!!!

0.1 Eastern Indigo, 1.0 Hypo Bullsnake, 4.9 Corn Snakes, 0.1 Western Hognose, 0.2 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 0.0.1 Savannah Monitor.
Old 03-19-05, 02:49 PM   #99
Ciddian

Send a message via MSN to Ciddian
Quote:
Originally posted by katev17
Sooo... about those suggestions...

Maybe there could be a literature forum... To share any books or magazines or something that you find really helpful and interesting?

I dunno, it might be getting too picky, but I think it would be pretty cool.

Kate
I like that sugestion! I would love to see maybe a list of "must haves" on your shelf. There are also so many great articals in the reptile magazines as well. I like refeering to those books sometimes because of the different answers i tend to get on here. Somtimes makes it hard to know what is right and what isnt.
Its kinda nice to be able to second a sugestion with a good artical or book.
Old 03-19-05, 02:59 PM   #100
Tim and Julie B
Please Email Boots

OK I have to say I really like Shane (you are a good person) but I have to disagree with your statement on supply and demand. The only real reason there is such a high demand is the general public knows nothing about reptiles or their care. People can come into a pet store, look at a sav monitor and say "oh look at the iguana." They don't know. There was a time in the 70's and 80's were iguanas were the most popular pet lizard, we all know how that tuned out, so that is what people are used to seeing. Having no clue that most iguanas were kept is less then good conditions. ask any herper out there and they will tell you that iguanas should definitely not be kept by the general public. Just the amount of room needed most people can't provide. Yet still people want them. Nothing PO's me more then some (insert colourful phrase here) selling iguanas at a reptile show to anyone with $25. You can say supply and demand, that is honestly correct, but who is demanding them? Does it justify sending in mass quantities of what's already known to be a troubled reptile in this industry? And lets face it every society and reptile rescue uses the abandoned iguana stigma for complete bans of all or certain reptiles which I have fought my bum off trying to stop. This is what the site is about, trying to move the herp community forward together as a whole. Sometimes the ends don't justify the means but like anyother business it's money. But if we the members of this industry don't at least stand up and have our say about the quality and ethics of this market then we have been fighting a useless war trying to get the respect for reptiles that they deserve. That is how most people that feel.
It is not a US thing although I noticed that keeps getting brought up but some members. One I know is an American so go figure. I personally don't know a single person that is or was a member of ssnakess that doesn't value our American members and treats them with disrespect because they are on the wrong side of the border. So please don't take it that way.
I do and don't agree with some of the statements made by Alien you can not compare a reptile with simple needs to that of one that needs alot of care and husbandry. You can not compare ball pythons and burms (I agree with you about burms 100%) and you can not guarantee who is buying what. Will it have a good home? It is like that for any breeder of any animal, bird or reptile. But it all comes down to ethics. Would you sell a 16 year old a burm for money? I would like to think 99.9 % of the people on here would not. But maybe I am dreaming but it seems to me that our small community of herpers in Canada does a pretty good job of keeping people honest. Word gets around because we all know each other (thanks mostly to ssnakess). It doesn't always work and it isn't 100% effective but it does help weed out a lot of bad people.
And yes a corporate sponsor/owner does reflect itself on all businesses and organizations under it's umbrella.
Having said all this I am still around. I am not a sheep that will follow the flock of a cliff and I refuse to do anything because everyone else is. I can participate on both sites. I truly believe what I have wrote here. I know if you agree with it our not the people that run this site have invested interests in this and you work for them. I just wanted to clarify a few things already stated on here and I know Jeff (is it Jeff?) wanted this thread to stay on topic so I will add an idea. In the classifieds under other can you please split it up into Other reptiles, including inverts and amphibians etc so I don't know how you would word it and then have one for supplies. It doesn't make much since to be searching through multiple adds of heat tape, tanks and cages. In the hopes that someone is selling a turtle. Just an idea I had.
.B miT<---
Oh and I know that I am banned so if you have problems with me being here just say so and I will leave and all my new posts can be turned into a permanent guest book.

Last edited by Tim and Julie B; 03-19-05 at 03:07 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 03-19-05, 03:03 PM   #101
tHeGiNo

I finally cracked your name! TIM B! Whoo hooo!
Old 03-19-05, 03:07 PM   #102
sSNAKESs.com

Tim

You have a voice, express your dislikes and likes. I do ask that its done on the other thread. I would really like to see this one stay positive. By the way yes my name is Jeff.
Old 03-19-05, 03:08 PM   #103
Brock

Send a message via MSN to Brock
*sigh*

Looks like the site has gone from the ownership of one scumbag to another, but at least the first scumbag was Canadian.

Now that the sight was bought by international investors: Investment=buying something for less than what you expect to make from it: therefor they are obviously going to want to turn around a profit from this site, and as Jeff so blatantly stated through his girlfriend's account, which shows the measure of a man in itself, he wasn't making anything out of this site as a Canadian one. So if I was an American investor buying a cheap Canadian site that could easily be marketed towards Americans, I'd do it. Obviously Iguanafarms and Flukers want profit, America was built on investment and entrepeneurial methods, and Canadians alone can't give them that, so what I'm getting to is that this site will be overrun with Americans.

Go to KS. ca and compare it to KS. com, you'll see a difference immediately once you browse the forums and classifieds. Americans are a huge majority, and this site was for CANADIAN NETWORKING, it would be difficult to find a Canadian in a site where its 100 to 1. Contrary to what Jeff says, a Canadian site is a bit different than American, it's not about business, it's about loyalty and community, unison for our nation, which we are hard pressed to find in respects for reptiles.

You won't find too many iguana farms in Canada, and that's the difference right there.

It's really a shame, this was a good site. Who knows that the future holds for it, I will stick around to see, but I definately would support Reptiles canada. com before I would support this. And I think anyone, breeder or private keeper, who has a passion for this hobby would not support a website thats donations go to iguanafarm.com, that's just stupid, I couldn't stomach the fact I was supporting a death camp. This sight WAS #2, now I reckon we make Reptiles canada. com #2.

-Brock
1.1 Veiled Chameleons : 1.1 Crested Gecko : 0.1 Pictus Geckos (looking to trade or sell $25) : 1.0 normal leopard gecko - 0.1 tang 100% het bliz leo - 0.2 bliz leos (All leopards for sale/trade) : 1.0 Leucisitc Texas Ratsnake (Looking to trade for Crestie or pygmy chams)
Old 03-19-05, 04:02 PM   #104
chas*e
Banned

Don't make me laugh...with words like Loyalty and O'Canada...COME ON PEOPLE.....This is the INTERNET...heolloooo..all these places are only websites they are Nowhere...and they are being done for the money(and a little interest in the topic)......Be REAL ..GET A LIFE
Go to anywhere you want..go to all the forums everywhere..I like the CornsnakeIceland.com...hahahaha
Old 03-19-05, 06:21 PM   #105
CHRISANDBOIDS14

Send a message via MSN to CHRISANDBOIDS14
Quote:
Originally posted by .B miT<--
But it all comes down to ethics. Would you sell a 16 year old a burm for money? I would like to think 99.9 % of the people on here would not.
Hey Tim, I definetly agree with that and see where you are comming from, But I must say that not every 16 y/o is irresponsible.

Im not going to comment on anything else in the thread because I dont feel it would be appropriate to join the pissing matches.

C.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread