border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-15, 12:03 PM   #91
Pogie

Re: Draco Profile

That video is the BEST! He is so darn cute eeeek!
Old 06-05-15, 10:44 PM   #92
bigsnakegirl785

This crazy thing has now reached 30 grams, and is starting to look like he'll be able to take 3 mouse pinks at a time soon. So it's probably about time to bump him up to rat pinks.

Last time I fed him, he actually managed to bite me, and it bled a little. The poor thing was just so scared of the mice I was trying to offer off the tweezers, he wouldn't have any of it. I set them down and he gobbled them up in like 5 minutes. >.> He's such a wuss.

Here's a video of one of his feedings. I was trying to tape the fit he was having thinking the mouse was out to eat him, but failed. I think this was the feeding where I got that picture from on the other page.

Old 07-29-15, 09:13 PM   #93
bigsnakegirl785

I caught him undressing today...

Sorry I had to zoom in to take this as he was too far away to be seen easily on camera....

Old 07-31-15, 08:32 PM   #94
misskirbyd

Its so cool to be able to watch him growing! Thank you! (I also love the name, but that could be because all my pets are named for Harry Potter characters, haha)

Future wish list: pygmy python (antaresia perthensis), water python (liasis fuscus)
Old 07-31-15, 09:03 PM   #95
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskirbyd View Post
Its so cool to be able to watch him growing! Thank you! (I also love the name, but that could be because all my pets are named for Harry Potter characters, haha)
Yeah, it's amazing how much growth even these teeny guys go through. And his colors have become better with age.

When I first got him, he was scared to death of the mouse pink parts I tried to feeding him, and the way he rattled his tail and struck at it reminded me of a dragon lashing out (was rather reminded of Haku from Spirited Away tbh) so I named him Draco.
Old 08-21-15, 12:20 PM   #96
bigsnakegirl785

We had an interesting feeding last time. Or the time before, don't remember. lol He was a bit late since he refused the rat before that, but after thawing it out and setting it in his tank for a few minutes, it was kinda bloated so that's probably why. I decided to wait to offer anyways, just in case it stressed him out.

So, because of that he was particularly hungry and actually came out on his own to get food as soon as he felt vibrations (usually I have to remove pretty much all of his decorations and sift through his bedding to scare him out, if I don't he doesn't realize there's food and won't eat). He poked his head out and immediately grabbed it in an awkward way, and ended up eating it upside down. I tried to get a picture of it when he first grabbed the rat, but by the time I came back with my phone he'd already changed positions and started eating. :/

After he swallowed it, he just kinda sat there with his mouth slightly open and drool coming out of his mouth which freaked me out, but he immediately responded to movement when I waved my finger in front of his face and turned right side up. -.-

He's just about finished off the rat pinks that are small enough for him to eat whole, so I'm going to have to start cutting them up again, which I'm not looking forward to. Mouse pinks weren't so bad because they're so small, but rat pinks are huge and they smell really strongly of blood when you cut them, as well as being 10x messier so yeah...
Old 02-02-16, 04:14 PM   #97
bigsnakegirl785

It's hard to believe how much this guy is still growing at 2.5 years old! His most recent weight was 43 grams, and he's now taking small to medium rat pinks with ease. They still leave a bulge, but they're easier to get down.

Even Demigod is hitting a growth spurt, he's been 23 grams the majority of the time I've had him, but when I weighed everyone a few weeks ago he came out to 27 grams.

Some of these aren't the best, but these are my favorites of the photo shoot. Everyone was out and about from the warm weather, and Draco was hoping I was giving him food, so he was easy to lure out. He ate 4 days ago and his bulge just disappeared the other day, the pig. >.>

Old 02-03-16, 08:10 AM   #98
macandchz

bigsnakegirl1785 loved the pictures! he almost looks like he has a checker board pattern on his back.
Old 02-03-16, 11:31 AM   #99
Obsidian_Dragon

If Draco can take rat pinks now then Dart should be able to. Butthead hasn't been taking multiple mice pinks for me. :|

...I have a food order to make anyway.
Old 02-03-16, 11:35 AM   #100
Albert Clark

Dracos looking grown up these days. Very impressive albino checkered. Haha.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-03-16, 03:04 PM   #101
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian_Dragon View Post
If Draco can take rat pinks now then Dart should be able to. Butthead hasn't been taking multiple mice pinks for me. :|

...I have a food order to make anyway.
He's been eating rat pinks since last July, and whole pinkies since at least August. He's mostly been getting the smallest ones of the bunch, but he's now able to take mid-sized ones fairly well. I do mix it up and offer him 3 mouse pinks every other meal, because the rat pinks are a big meal for him still.

Demigod isn't nearly as big, I've been giving him 2 mouse pinks because 3 pinks seems to be a bit much for him, but he seems to have gotten a bit bigger so it may be time to up his quantity. I've tried offering both rat pinks and mouse hoppers to him, and he can't get either down. :/ I was hoping the hoppers would hold him over until I got my next rodent shipment, but alas. I'll have to give him earthworms in the meantime, because I'm not buying from Petsmart, the local pet store shut down, and I haven't found the time to drive 45+ minutes one way to the other pet store. (I even tried cutting up a rat pink, and he just drug it around wildly because that's what Demigod does, and got it full of aspen so he couldn't eat it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandchz View Post
bigsnakegirl1785 loved the pictures! he almost looks like he has a checker board pattern on his back.
Yup, that's where this species gets their name from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Dracos looking grown up these days. Very impressive albino checkered. Haha.
Thanks! It's really surprising that he's still growing so fast with how old he is. I thought they reached full size at 1-2 years old, but he's still going strong, and dwarves his size just from this past September!
Old 02-06-16, 04:06 PM   #102
bigsnakegirl785

Well, Demigod's thread got closed, so I guess I'll just integrate him here. I don't post about him often, so I figure it's not worth trying to re-open the thread.

I got Demigod some worms last night, to hold him over until I get him some more mouse pinks. I offered him two, but I guess that ended up being too much because he ended up spitting the second one out. I'll be giving him worms every 2-3 days until my next shipment comes in, or I go to the other pet store. After some thinking, I'd rather feed him some worms than buy any mice from Petsmart.

The bucket is dirty because I expand EcoEarth in it, and no amount of rinsing has completely cleaned it out. This was the only thing I had that was tall enough to keep him in it, because he likes to climb backwards up walls while he's eating, and I don't have any Tupperware big enough to keep from smashing his body under the lid while he wildly attempts to escape.

For some reason, I really startled him getting him out of his tank, and he got super inflated and was striking at me. >.> Never bit me, but he did put on a display, never seen him this upset.

He fine as soon as I put the first worm in front of his face, though.

Old 02-06-16, 10:40 PM   #103
sam

Draco looks stunning! those markings on his head really gives him character.
Old 03-14-16, 07:58 PM   #104
bigsnakegirl785

Ugh uploading photos to Photobucket is becoming so irritating lately, it keeps randomly failing to upload photos, so I have to do it again. I may start using another website to post photos here, but it could also just be my computer, it's slowly descending into the realm of being unusable. I've had it around 4 years now, but between the NextCoup adware and accidentally kicking it off the table when I get up, it's starting to just become harder and harder to use. Still worlds better than the ancient computer my grandparents let me use, but not where I want it to be.

Anyways, back on topic...

Draco's bulb blew out today, but since it's nighttime it isn't so important to have it, I'll need to go by and get a new one tomorrow after school so his day/night schedule doesn't become too messed up (hopefully).

I took him out and noticed his belly was very pink, the same sort of red I see on the other snakes when they shed, but his last shed was in January, so maybe I just managed to catch him in his pre-blue colors. lol Usually I only catch a shed when he's in blue or already shedding.

I tried my best to capture his pink belly, but you can't see it too well. No, I do not use belly heat in my garters' set ups.

And here's some close up fun. Since I couldn't take him outside today (it was cool and rainy, not cold but didn't feel 75F), I just took some flash photos indoors. I had to open the lens about halfway to get good photos of him, otherwise his colors were completely washed out and it wouldn't focus.

Old 03-14-16, 08:10 PM   #105
bigsnakegirl785

And then it was Demigod's turn. :P

Well, these last two photos absolutely would NOT upload to Photobucket, but I posted them elsewhere so I could still share them here. :/ Wonder what's going on, it's been doing this the past week or two now.

Closed Thread