Closed Thread

Old 03-19-05, 10:41 AM   #76
Manitoban Herps

Send a message via MSN to Manitoban Herps
I also will not be coming back...
Old 03-19-05, 10:47 AM   #77
Shad0w

WOW,

Ryan is banned because he voices an opinion and provides some facts?

This is a new low...
Old 03-19-05, 10:49 AM   #78
Son of Creature

It's a shame a Canadian icon was sold to foreign interest, but largely irrelevant as the Canadian comminity still has a great site which their own at the other site. The real issue is that it was sold to Flukers, a freaking Iguana farm! which share's Jeff's views of 'this isn't about the community, it's just business'. Just because they sell overpriced petstore products to the general hobbiest, doesn't mean they give a damn, and you are seriously naieve if you think they do.

About dogs and cats in the street, well this is about reptiles, and we can and should make an effort to keep our own house in order. Would a respected AKC site sell to a puppy mill? that is the parallel.

To those who say it's about the members and the people what makes a good site, DAMN STRAIGHT IT IS!!!! and the previous ownership didn't think enough about the community or the members enough to reply to them or even answer their mods until members started leaving en-mass, and that is likely because it hurts the terms of their sale, like Jeff said "this is business".

You can't honestly say "ok well everything will be back to normal, it's all good" when most (not all) of the mods who tried to hold things together feel strongly enough to have left?

What would I like to see from ssnakess.com? How about starting with accountability from the former and current ownership instead of lip service, and maybe Flukers (if they really did give a damn) hear our voice and drop the iguana farms, and just sell their over priced dry goods which they make a killing on anyway. And perhaps we can all close our eyes and wish really hard the green sea turtle and the Jamaican cyclura will be removed from the endangered species list. It's just about as realistic.

Gary D.

Last edited by Son of Creature; 03-19-05 at 10:54 AM..
Old 03-19-05, 10:57 AM   #79
Alien_Regalis

LOL no iguanas are sold by that company for meat.

This site is still canadian. American interests in ssnakess.com makes it no less canadian. Some of you seem to forget sometimes that its not who owns it or how it looks. Its the people and its the content that make the site. There are some great people here that have a wealth of knowlege to share. The site isnt going to change except maybe to update the software and start updating the front page again.

I could try to defend an iguana farm but theres no need. An iguana farm is just that. I wonder at times what makes any of us better than an iguana farm. I mean...how many of you have bred burmese pythons, ball pythons or even Bci? Ive bred all of them in the past. While I may have worked hard to ensure that all of them made it to good homes, does that make me better than an iguana breeder? Hell, ball pythons are brought imported by the thousands every year from farms in ghana. Blood pythons, bci and many others are collected in the same manner.

Yes, when you click the donation button it now goes to iguanadepot. This site is not american and is still the best forum around. Back in the day Jeff and Shane put alot of hard work into the lay out of ssnakess.com. Many others helped with this. But the attitude of ssnakess.com, its personality, is all of you. It has nothing to do with the owner. Have you guys noticed perhaps that on a few of the reptile website rank systems ...ssnakess.com is #3 and #4.... This means there is a whole lot of you coming to ssnakess.com. This is competing against websites like faunaclassifieds and reptibid as well as many others. Those are some statistics to be proud of. One way to look at it is that kingsnake aside...this is the #2 reptile forum in the world !!! Thats a nice claim to be able to make....there are many american forums....many...but this one is smaller than only one of those wich is faunaclassifieds. Its not the new owner that created those numbers its all of you. This is still a strong place and will continue to be. There are many fun and informative years ahead of all of us here at ssnakess.com. I for one cant wait.

"Im very passionate about pigs"
Steve Irwin
Old 03-19-05, 10:58 AM   #80
Gregg M
Squamata Concepts

Send a message via Yahoo to Gregg M
In all the years I have been posting on this site I have never been insulted until I read this thread..... It is funny how when a situation comes up you get to see peoples true feelings.....

What is with all this anti-American talk going on???? This is unreal...... Alot of very good info is posted here...... The thing is it is not just posted by Canadians...... Us Americans do a great job of putting info out on these forums as well...... Just take a look at the venomous forum..... I would say that 80% of the relavent info posted there is done by us lowly Americans......

Hey, whatever...... I know who the REAL people and true friends are on these forums.... Canadian, American, or otherwise.....

I am just glad I got to see the true colors of the senceless bigots on this site..... Thanks for showing your ugly head......
Old 03-19-05, 11:04 AM   #81
CORN_SNAKE91

Send a message via MSN to CORN_SNAKE91
ok so far i have seen numerous flame threads and post about canadians and americans, and still no change to the site....

when will the site be updated and changed? why has the photo contest been deleted?

i would like to see ssnakess.com improve, i really do....
Old 03-19-05, 11:06 AM   #82
Alien_Regalis

Gregg!!! Its about time you showed your face

I have to agree in some sense. I think americans add alot of input here and its a shame to see so much anti american sentiment. We are neighbors in this great world.

"Im very passionate about pigs"
Steve Irwin
Old 03-19-05, 11:07 AM   #83
DataRipper

Gregg M .. I dont think it is a us/canada thing.. atleast i don't think so..it more of a thing about the people in general..like all i have heard is bad things about them..

But who know.. I think the site should be US/Canada.. like it is and always was..
Old 03-19-05, 11:10 AM   #84
CORN_SNAKE91

Send a message via MSN to CORN_SNAKE91
it wasnt always canadian and american! its a global site! although americans and canadians make up most of the site there are people from all over the world! please put that into consideration before you say anything
Old 03-19-05, 11:12 AM   #85
DataRipper

like i said it was always US and Canada.. the way it should be
Login to remove ads
Old 03-19-05, 11:21 AM   #86
Gregg M
Squamata Concepts

Send a message via Yahoo to Gregg M
Alien, Its good to see you too....

This is one of the many sites I visit and give info that I have gotten over the years of keeping reptiles..... I realy like this site because of the people here...... I could give a rats @$$ who owns it...... We all have a common interest and that is reptiles..... I feel I was not loyal to this site but I was loyal to the people who make the site what it is...... Just about everyone I met here were great people and most of them I consider to be friends wether they were Canadians, Americans, or whatever else..... Just do me a favor, if my friends on this site go somewhere else, let me know where you are going...... And again, I do not care who owns it.....

It realy is not a Canadian vs American thing but some of the people posting are turning it into that......

I will continue to post here and give out as much info as I can...... I will also continue to learn from others on this site...... This was a great place to hang out and it can still be......
Old 03-19-05, 11:23 AM   #87
Son of Creature

If you thought my post was aniti american, you are mistaken I have many American friends and participate on other American forums too. And I sure as he** don't want to exclude Americans from participating or make them feel unwanted. I agree it is sad that there appears to be some who do, but as I mentioned that is not the point. The point is it was sold to an iguana farm, (selling the animals for food or not, doesn't make a difference. IMO bombing them into the pet trade exclusively is no better) and how the former ownership showed no respect to it's members or it's mods. They have yet to appologise to any of their financial supporters, and are simply snow jobbing with the latest in "this is your site what do you want to see". Guess what that ship has sailed, members for the last year have been saying what they wanted and the only answer they got was "sorry the mods don't have the power to make it happen, and the owners aren't replying to us".

This site IS truly 100% Canadian after all. Just like federal election time everyone's willing to forget all the crap and lies of the last year, and openly accept the new empty promises. That is the Canadian way is it not. Congratulation I'm convinced now.

GD

Last edited by Son of Creature; 03-19-05 at 11:33 AM..
Old 03-19-05, 11:33 AM   #88
selacs

It's too bad that some amercians are picking up on the negative vibes going along with the sale of this site, they were not meant for you I am sure.

Alien:

Was the site sold to Flukers?

Do you work for Flukers?

Is Flukers based out of El Salvador?

Is there going to be any formal heart felt appology for what has been going on. Mods left in the dark? Advertising funds not going towards advertising? Mass bannings of some of them lists best members?

It is getting kind of late for damage control, and it seems a few are just digging the hole deeper. Why not start a thread that deals with the serious issues at hand, and discuss them.

Would you rather it be done over at Fauna, where a lot of people will be able to comment about certain things for everyone to see forever?

JimBob

Last edited by selacs; 03-19-05 at 11:37 AM..
Old 03-19-05, 11:40 AM   #89
DragnDrop

Ryan, um, ... Selacs, sorry.... what does all this have to do with ssnakess? Would you confront any business person in your town for selling all or part of his business to someone? Do yo really feel you need to know all the details? Does being a member of an internet forum give you the right to demand he spill all his personal private matters to you? Does knowing all the info about Flukers make ssnakess a better place? I thought this was a forum for discussion of reptiles and related animals. Since when did it become a forum for international business development and debate?

Why not just drop this? You're starting to look rather foolish keeping this up. You've had your fun, now it's time for a nap. Go finish your milk and cookies, curl up with your blankie.
Old 03-19-05, 11:48 AM   #90
selacs

And you keep on being a mod of this site, I hope you feel good about it I know I sure as hell wouldn't.

JimBob
Closed Thread