border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-15, 11:18 AM   #76
Obsidian_Dragon

Re: Draco Profile

I'll admit, watching them eat live fish is neat. Shame about the parasites, etc. Not that Dart lets me watch him eat anyway. Siiiigh.

I'm just worried I accidentally powerfed my poor bab. I'm still new enough at this to be utterly paranoid about ruining everything forever. He kept to an expected shedding cycle, though? Maybe he's just gonna be a big boy. Maybe...sexing via tail was wrong and he's actually a girl. ~it's a mystery~

Anyway, I'm glad Draco took both! It doesn't seem to actually be too hard to get them to take multiples.
Old 02-25-15, 08:26 PM   #77
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian_Dragon View Post
I'll admit, watching them eat live fish is neat. Shame about the parasites, etc. Not that Dart lets me watch him eat anyway. Siiiigh.

I'm just worried I accidentally powerfed my poor bab. I'm still new enough at this to be utterly paranoid about ruining everything forever. He kept to an expected shedding cycle, though? Maybe he's just gonna be a big boy. Maybe...sexing via tail was wrong and he's actually a girl. ~it's a mystery~

Anyway, I'm glad Draco took both! It doesn't seem to actually be too hard to get them to take multiples.
PM me a pic of the tail
Old 02-26-15, 08:01 PM   #78
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian_Dragon View Post

I doubt you were power-feeding from what you've said about his feeding schedule.

I'm not too sure about sexing from the tail, I'd think it would be easier when they're full grown, but idk. Draco has some slight swelling where his hemipenes would be located, so that makes me fairly sure he's male. Also his small size and spazzy attitude. lol
Old 03-03-15, 11:38 AM   #79
bigsnakegirl785

Well today was his next feeding day, and I found those tweezers I used to feed him from and tried tong-feeding him again. He actually took his first pinkie off the tongs! I think he's just afraid of those big pair I use for the other snakes. haha He didn't take the second one from the tongs, but did actively chase it down when I moved it away from him. I set it down next to him and put his humid hide back on top of him. I'll check and see if he ate the other one later.

Here he is, almost done swallowing his pinkie. Didn't leave a bulge at all once he had it all the way down.
Old 04-14-15, 06:04 PM   #80
bigsnakegirl785

Here are some photos I apparently neglected to post. They're kinda old-ish but from this year.

Belly to wall must be the new thing.

Old 04-19-15, 06:51 PM   #81
elkied243

I think Draco and you have convinced me to get another garter. My first snake was a garter and I haven't been able to bring mysef to get another since he passed but I think the time has come!
Sweet story and gorgeous snake!
Old 04-20-15, 12:42 AM   #82
bigsnakegirl785

Cool! You should definitely make a thread once you get it.
Old 04-20-15, 07:55 PM   #83
bigsnakegirl785

Well I weighed Draco yesterday and he weighed in at 25 grams. It was 4-5 days after he ate, so he should have been empty. I'll be re-weighing him before I feed him tomorrow to double-check.

Old 04-22-15, 07:06 AM   #84
drumcrush

Wow, looking good!
Old 04-25-15, 06:52 PM   #85
Pogie

Oh he is pretty! I didn't know that came in different colors.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-26-15, 08:44 AM   #86
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogie View Post
Oh he is pretty! I didn't know that came in different colors.
Yup, garters come in many different colors/morphs. The only other checkered morphs I know of, though, are granite and pastel.
Old 04-28-15, 04:21 PM   #87
Pogie

Are they nippy at all? I always thought they might be, i'm probably wrong lol. I had thought of getting one of them but didn't want a snake that tried to strike all the time.
Which is what I thought garter snakes did? I guess I'm wrong
Old 04-28-15, 04:43 PM   #88
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogie View Post
Are they nippy at all? I always thought they might be, i'm probably wrong lol. I had thought of getting one of them but didn't want a snake that tried to strike all the time.
Which is what I thought garter snakes did? I guess I'm wrong
Draco isn't, but the other garter, Demigod, was when he first arrived. But I made sure to handle him 1-2 times a day and he stopped that after about a week. Draco mostly just musks if he's in an especially spazzy/nervous mood.
Old 05-18-15, 05:35 PM   #89
bigsnakegirl785

Here are some old-ish photos of Draco from last week. He's now 26 grams, still on two pinks a week.

I'm really close to having the money for a (used) camera! If I end up having to save up for a brand new camera, it might take awhile longer unless I manage to get another couple 30 hour weeks in...

Old 05-26-15, 11:54 AM   #90
bigsnakegirl785

Draco loves his mice. Even if he initially mistakes them as a predator attempting to eat him, and awkwardly flops around his tank desperately trying to get away from them.

Closed Thread