border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-15, 12:42 AM   #76
toddnbecka

Re: Artemis - Russian Rat Snake

I know that feeling well now, the last little carpet python filled my collection. I'm actually considering selling one or two of the male DRMB's since I don't need them all for breeding stock, but I'm not worried about keeping them either.
I just saw an ad for a free boa, only about a 2 hour drive, and didn't even reply to it. However, I would consider making an exception for a russian rat if I ran across such a sweet deal. Then I'd have to get another one...
Very pretty new girl, she'll probably quiet down a bit after she settles in.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 08-25-15, 02:47 AM   #77
Sylphie

Obsidian Dragon, hahaha, thank you... I think

El Ziggy, thank you too, she's a totally new level for me considering her size, as all my other snakes are smaller

toddnbecka, I can't think of selling any of my snakes, they all are lovely and totally different... but if I end with 20 of them then maybe I'll start think of exchanges too. And definitely go for a Russians!
Old 08-26-15, 01:00 PM   #78
Florence9

Russian rat snake are the best snakes out there
Old 08-26-15, 01:16 PM   #79
Sylphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence9 View Post
Russian rat snake are the best snakes out there
Haha, sure! But corns are my second fav, less energetic than Russians but still very lovely

I really like a lot of other colubrids too, but they are too big for me, so I'll stick to Russians and corns... and maybe one female hognose in future too! Persians rats are great too, but unreachable in my country.
Old 10-01-15, 01:26 PM   #80
Sylphie

Little video of feeding Artemis She's super quick and really agressive feeder... Then she will strike on the glass for more.

https://youtu.be/ng-NiNwP8PI

Orion in the same time was calmly taking his mices on my hands...
Old 11-17-15, 09:11 AM   #81
Sylphie

Because the White, our blizzard corn needs to live in tub, and Redhead decided to destroy all the plants from this tank: http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/enclo...enclosure.html

we decided that the corns will go to the smaller tanks, and here will live Callisto. All the plants except pothos died, so I will not post pics of the whole tank yet, we'll wait until the pothos will grow bigger, but here are a few close-ups.

And if you want a snake that is active all day, every day, Russian Rats are perfect for you! Our corns prefer to hide most of the day, and we rarely see them, but russians are soo active and curious that they are always moving around.

Old 11-17-15, 01:35 PM   #82
prairiepanda

With Callisto in there, that tank doesn't need plants to look pretty! Your Russians can make any setup look great; they're just so gorgeous! Makes me sad that I can't have any
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 11-17-15, 02:23 PM   #83
Sylphie

You know, we should arrange the shipping to you when we'll have first babies And I still need to find anerythistic one...

And as much as I like our corns, Russians are waay more interesting and it's nice to just watch them move in their tanks.
Old 11-17-15, 03:43 PM   #84
prairiepanda

Oh don't get me wrong; Russian rats are available to me, they just aren't legal. I prefer to play it safe and maybe one day move to a province where I'll be allowed to own one
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 11-17-15, 04:00 PM   #85
Sylphie

Oh, I understand then Hope you'll be able to get one someday!
Old 11-17-15, 04:09 PM   #86
reptiledude987

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiepanda View Post
Oh don't get me wrong; Russian rats are available to me, they just aren't legal. I prefer to play it safe and maybe one day move to a province where I'll be allowed to own one
Thats so strange. I dont understand why they would be restricted there. theyre not venomous, not even rear fanged. Where you are theres no chance of them becoming an envasive species there as they would never survive a winter. I just dont get these laws sometimes.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 11-17-15, 07:37 PM   #87
prairiepanda

I think it might be because they can hybridize with native Elaphe species, and also because it can be difficult to distinguish them from some native species, especially as babies. Still silly, though. There's quite a few species on the list that just seem to be there because they're similar to native species.
Old 11-18-15, 04:01 AM   #88
Sylphie

Quote:
I think it might be because they can hybridize with native Elaphe species, and also because it can be difficult to distinguish them from some native species, especially as babies. Still silly, though. There's quite a few species on the list that just seem to be there because they're similar to native species.
That's... weird. We're having some restrictions too, all boas and pythons must have confirmation of origin CB, and then we must register them as ours, but really restricted are only hots, you can't have one without permission and to have that permission you must meet really hard conditions.
Old 11-18-15, 12:08 PM   #89
reptiledude987

Quote:
What province are you in? Is that a provincial restriction or a regional restriction?
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 11-18-15, 01:04 PM   #90
prairiepanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptiledude987 View Post
What province are you in? Is that a provincial restriction or a regional restriction?
That's the Alberta Wildlife Regulation. I'm currently still living in BC but will be moving back to Alberta in the near future so I've been adhering to the Alberta restrictions to ensure all my pets will be coming with me.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
elaphe schrencki, russian rat snake