border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-16, 03:29 AM   #76
SerpentineDream

Re: Garter love

I struck out. Tried several breeders. Alas, no garter love for me.

(Playing the world's smallest violin.)
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 05-09-16, 03:36 AM   #77
RAD House

I am pretty sure Jeff Benfer has some available right now. You can find his add on fauna classifieds or email him at jeff-benfer@gartersnakemorph.com
Old 05-09-16, 05:00 AM   #78
SerpentineDream

I tried a couple of times to reach him, both by e-mail and Fauna Classifieds PM but no response. I assumed it was because he must have sold out.
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 05-09-16, 05:58 AM   #79
Albert Clark

There is going to be some hatching out in about 1 month or so from someone else i know of. I will shoot you a pm later today. Yeah Jeff had a litter of 26 hatchlings and he probably did sell out. But i would keep trying him until i actually get a response. He is very busy but usually returns emails.
Old 05-09-16, 08:27 AM   #80
Obsidian_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineDream View Post
Ooooo, thank you both!

Obsidian Dragon, do you happen to have an e-mail address for Zerkle Reptiles you could PM to me? I am the last human on Earth to resist the siren song of Facebook and don't see one on their website. I realize that assimiliation is inevitable, but have been putting it off as long as possible.
It's there, just hard to spot. Reptile4me@aol.com

(oh god guys your website is terrible, WHY)
Login to remove ads
Old 05-09-16, 11:53 AM   #81
SerpentineDream

Thank you!
Old 05-19-16, 11:37 PM   #82
SerpentineDream

There IS garter love for me! Jeff had some neon blue CRS left after all. I picked up a future breeding pair. They arrive Tuesday, along with two Super Mojave BEL ball python sisters that will one day pair up with my Purple Passion and a Banana Spider (different breeder).

The garter snake I had was an adult common garter and super mellow. He almost never musked and he never bit. Having some nervous Nellie CRS babies will be a trip. They are so tiny that they are eating cut-up pieces of nightcrawlers dipped in Reptivite. I can hardly imagine keeping something so small and fragile alive, but here goes....
Old 05-20-16, 05:39 AM   #83
Albert Clark

@SD: Congrats there man! Those California red sideds can be switched over to cut up pink mice right away. Two of mine came from Jeff also and I immediately switched them over to cut pink mice and fresh ocean perch, tilapia and salmon. They all are doing well now and a little over a year old. The reptivite doesn't need to be given at every meal either so be careful with that. Good luck. Jeff is the man and a excellent resource. Actually the female Cal.red sided may be large enough to take 1 day old pink whole mice. The male probably in a month or so. Once on the mice they won't need the reptivite at all.

Last edited by Albert Clark; 05-20-16 at 05:48 AM..
Old 05-20-16, 11:49 PM   #84
SerpentineDream

Albert, do you house your CRS garters together? I would never dare with most other species, but a lot of people seem to do it with success and some people even think it helps a nervous young one to have a cagemate. They'll start out in a hatchling tub and graduate to a 29 gallon long (lots of hiding spots of course). They were born a couple of weeks apart - not sure yet what the size difference is between them yet.
Old 05-21-16, 09:13 AM   #85
Albert Clark

Hey SD, I separate all my animals based on sex. They are individual tubs and of course, the females are always bigger than the males and need the extra space. I have a 32 qt. Tub rack for my females. And a 15 qt. Tub for the males. No animal gets housed together unless they have been through conditioning period for breeding. I don't believe in communal housing for any reptile. Causes unecessary stress. Unless they are hatchlings. Your pair should be housed together for now bc they are so small and are hatchlings. A nice plastic bowl with airholes and a snap on lid works great. You more than likely will have to separate them for feedings to avoid food fights and the possible injury. When they start putting on size then it will be good to separate them.

Last edited by Albert Clark; 05-21-16 at 09:20 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 05-22-16, 03:19 AM   #86
jaleely
Member of the family

I just thought I'd post this. It's been a long time since I've been active here. Am thinking of breeding her to a male who's het for anery and albino. Good, maybe? My two red sided love the "food bringer" but the males wandering hates me bc I popped him when he was little, lol. I forgive him lol. https://youtu.be/elHgbxfUqk0
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 05-22-16, 06:12 AM   #87
Albert Clark

Hi jal! Wow, is she a blue puget? Very pretty snake. That was a great video but I was sorry to see her being fed so many goldfish at one time. She looks very healthy but goldfish is the worse fish to feed to any snake. They are known as a "junk food" but more importantly they are loaded with parasites and also with thiaminase a enzyme that destroys Vitamin b1. So, for the future if you want to feed fish to your snakes it should be fresh fish from the market or f/t . Guppies are a better choice for live fish feedings. It helps if the guppies are captive bred. Or whatever species of fish you have that are captive bred. F/t rodents are a complete nutrition and by far the best food choice for garters especially the hairless ones if you can find them. Mice pinks and rat pinks are most suitable. As far as breeding, I hope you plan to breed her to another blue puget. If that is truly what she is? Good luck and you are welcome to pm me if you want for any clarification.
Old 05-22-16, 11:34 PM   #88
jaleely
Member of the family

Hi Albert!! No worries, she rarely eats junk food. Only on the rare occasion our gar leaves some leftovers I promise, her main diet is slugs, pinkies, worms, and trout! But it's always good to point out in case anyone thinks it's a staple food.
Anyway, Anery red-sided! Here's her and her beau. https://youtu.be/OW45hpnhrPo
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 05-23-16, 04:14 AM   #89
Albert Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleely View Post
Hi Albert!! No worries, she rarely eats junk food. Only on the rare occasion our gar leaves some leftovers I promise, her main diet is slugs, pinkies, worms, and trout! But it's always good to point out in case anyone thinks it's a staple food.
Anyway, Anery red-sided! Here's her and her beau. https://youtu.be/OW45hpnhrPo
Okay jal! I feel better. I thought she was a blue puget. Even though I saw in your first post where you mentioned anery. Yeah, keep her healthy and I can't wait to see those babies. Nice pairing.
Old 05-24-16, 02:54 PM   #90
SerpentineDream

Holy schmokies, I cannot believe how tiny those baby CRS garters are! I am going to have to drill holes in yet another tub. They are so little that they can wiggle through the ventilation holes I put in the original tub--which are NOT large holes. They are about the size of an ordinary garden earthworm. Super cute. But I'm almost afraid to touch them because they are so fragile!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread