Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-15, 04:04 AM   #61
Sylphie

Re: Artemis - Russian Rat Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
Very nice Sylphie. It's great that you can cohabitate them. You might just end up with a few more.
Haha, anery female for sure (if I find someone who is having them... for now I know only about AC Snakes from UK)! And if Orion is female then melanistic male... But then I'll be build a really large enclosure, so they can get the space they need and don't feel stressed about the fact that "there are other snakes everywhere!".
Old 07-22-15, 06:12 AM   #62
Sylphie

After few weeks when Artemis was (and still is) "hunting everything that moves except Orion" I started to feel really uncomfortable aroung her. It was okay, when my boyfriend was picking her, and then giving her to me to handle.. but doing anything in their viv was just a pain and stress. Then I realized that uh, in the worst case she'll bite me, and she's not that big to really hurt me. Now I'm picking her and handling every day to overcome my really weird case of "i started to be afraid of snake that I'm having since it was little hatchling". And it's going really good! She's her usual self while handling, having moments of total panick and "let me go, let me go!" and after a moment calming down and leisurely trying to explore.

Orion is still unsexed, unfortunately the person that is probing them for me is on a holiday, so I must wait 2 weeks But he's great, in some ways he's totally opposite to Arty. Never panicking, calm, and really curious, always wants to be picked and handled. And he's really stubborn too, when he sees something that is interesting then he starts to pull really hard to get where he want to be... and he's really strong, so it's sometimes hard to hold him in place, haha!
Unfortunately I don't have any new pics of him, he's too big and curious to let me take pictures and hold him at the same moment. And when my boyfriend is handling him then alll pics are blurry... I must just find a way to get it right!
Old 07-23-15, 12:08 AM   #63
toddnbecka

It takes some practice to get accustomed to handling twitchy snakes, lol. Even if it's just a wee baby that can't break the skin I instinctively pull back when they strike if I'm not prepared for it. My little male thayeri prefers to stay burrowed in the aspen, and when I stir it around to find him for feeding he tends to bite me and run. Then I have to chase him around with the pinkie for a minute to get his attention focused on the food. If he's sitting out in the open there's no problem picking him up, and he actually handles just fine. Fortunately, the little female has never shown the same attitude...
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 07-23-15, 02:33 AM   #64
Sylphie

Haha, it's really good to know that I'm not the only person who is "afraid" of being bitten. I know that it'll don't hurt me, but still it's instinct to be afraid
Old 08-19-15, 07:29 AM   #65
Sylphie

We finally were able to go to our pet store and probe Orion... IT'S A HE! I'm sooo happy about it!

And some pics, unfortunately he's soo active and strong that I still have problems to take good pic of him.

He's a typical Russian, curious, active and always hungry! But he nicely is taking his feed on my hands (because Artemis is eating in their viv), never tried to bite me even while feeding.

AND after 2 years of having snakes today I heared their hiss for a first time! Orion was soo angry about being put in a travel bag that he started hissing on us, haha
Old 08-20-15, 12:32 AM   #66
toddnbecka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphie View Post
We finally were able to go to our pet store and probe Orion... IT'S A HE! I'm sooo happy about it!
AND after 2 years of having snakes today I heared their hiss for a first time! Orion was soo angry about being put in a travel bag that he started hissing on us, haha
I bet he wasn't happy about the probe either. I'd hiss about that myself...
Great news though, now you know you have a pair for breeding when they're ready.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 08-20-15, 02:22 AM   #67
Sylphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
I bet he wasn't happy about the probe either. I'd hiss about that myself...
Great news though, now you know you have a pair for breeding when they're ready.
Haha, surprisingly he was really calm while probing, Artemis was a lot more nervous and wriggling. He is just soo stubborn about "I'll go where I want, and you human will not stop me!" that sometimes I hear a really soft "puffs" when he's frustrated with us.

And yeah, we're really happy and lucky having a pair while both were bought as unsexed <3 2-3 years and we'll try to breed them fot the first time (although from what I heard females start to breed really good after 5 years old, earlier they are trying but no eggs/all are slugs).
Old 08-20-15, 06:07 PM   #68
prairiepanda

He's stunning! Every time I see your Russians I get soooo jealous! I'm looking forward to seeing their beautiful babies down the road.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 08-21-15, 01:44 AM   #69
Sylphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiepanda View Post
He's stunning! Every time I see your Russians I get soooo jealous! I'm looking forward to seeing their beautiful babies down the road.
Thank you! I'm the same with your pines, hahaha

Today we plan to rebuild their cage and add one more shelf to it, so I'll post some pics soon. And believe me, they will be super happy about it, haha! Especially about bigger water pool as both of them loves to swim.
Old 08-24-15, 12:53 AM   #70
Sylphie

Yeah, it's 90% done! We still must add ligth for the bottom part as there is rather dark, but the walls and plants are done.

It is all old cabinet with 3 shelf, at first we processed the middle, biggest part, now we added the bottom. They will also get the smallest top one as a big laying area with really little light, just a hide.

As a background we use expanded foam, then we paint it with acrylic based spray paints (totally safe for fish tanks and reptiles too). Then just added some pothos and one small hoya. At the bottom is a big water pool from an old fish tank for betta fish, but it's hard to see on pics as there is really dark.

So, that's it! And I'm really sorry about poor quality of some of this, as I mention the light is not finished and it's hard to get a good pic of some parts.

At first it was like this:

Now it's like this:

Top part now:

And bottom part:

Old 08-24-15, 12:56 AM   #71
Sylphie

Their fav hide, and yes, they can fit both in it.

And bonus, Artemis eating her mices:
http://i.imgur.com/hAiC3Iw.jpg

Old 08-24-15, 01:03 AM   #72
Sylphie

Totally changing topic:

You know that feeling when you are like "nah, I don't want snakes anymore, I have enough of them as it is", and then there is a new ad on your local forum... And the man is selling his 7 years old female Russian with her tank for only 27$? And your boyfriend after you tell him this is like "okay, we'll get her!"?

I'm a Russian addict for sure, 2 new in a really short time... Both in really good prices too, haha!

So, be ready for a new update with pics of our new girl soon, as we're waiting for a transport for her (she's from anther part of our country, so we're waiting for one of our friends to get her as he rides nearby).
Old 08-24-15, 09:43 AM   #73
Obsidian_Dragon

Ugh, I'm so jealous. Haha.
Old 08-24-15, 11:48 AM   #74
Sylphie

And here she is. She's sooo vocal, that I start to rethought my "i'm so sad, my snakes never hiss and I would like to hear it", haha! We still need to find a nice name for her... any ideas?

Old 08-24-15, 02:46 PM   #75
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Beautiful new addition Sylphie. Congrats!
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
elaphe schrencki, russian rat snake