border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > Front Page Polls

Notices

View Poll Results: How often do you handle your snakes?
As often as I can, very frequently 28 13.86%
A couple times a day or so 37 18.32%
Once a day maybe if I can 56 27.72%
Only as necessary to maintain them properly 20 9.90%
once or twice a week 50 24.75%
once or twice a month 11 5.45%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-11, 01:03 AM   #61
marionsclan

Re: How often do you handle your snakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
If you then need to treat an ilness for example having a "tame" (hate that word) snake is going to make things a lot easier for the owner and the snake.

There are all types of personalitys within snakes, some tolerate handling much more than others and it is our responsibility to ensure we dont over handle those that either dont tolerate it or are too fragile (GTP's for example)
I totally agree and if you don't like the word tame, how about using 'accustomed'? That would imply that the snake is accustomed to humans but still not domesticated.
Old 07-15-11, 07:11 AM   #62
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by marionsclan View Post
I totally agree and if you don't like the word tame, how about using 'accustomed'? That would imply that the snake is accustomed to humans but still not domesticated.
What I find very interesting, I personally find trying to understand what is going on in those little heads fascinating.

I have picked wild female garter snakes up off the ground and hand fed them the same day, yet I have captive bred animals that will chew your fingers off if you let them.

The point is that snakes in general posses many different sets of temperaments and we have to be willing to accept our animals "as is" meaning that if you get one that's content sitting on your arm, don't expect that your next snake is going to behave the same way, even if they are siblings.

If your snake repeatedly bites, musks or attempts to flee, then back off and leave it be.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 07-15-11, 09:51 AM   #63
SkYyaMe1623
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marionsclan View Post
until it is 100% proven, through studies and research data and not personal opinions, that handling them actually causes damage and a life reduction then I will continue to interact with my snake several times a week to establish and maintain a level of comfort and safety for both of us.
Well said. In my honest opinion given the fact that you'll need to enter the enclosure to maintain proper husbandry, handling the snake once in a while for a short period and placing it back in its enclosure where it feels comfortable will probably only reenforce the fact that you're not trying to eat the snake, even if you were to get your hands on it. Reinforcing this should build comfort between you and the snake, and make it less stressful for all the times you poke your hands into the enclosure for minor adjustments.
Old 07-15-11, 11:21 AM   #64
Ch^4
3.141592653 Pythons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Best reason I've heard to acquire more snakes "Need more so they each get rest time between handling."
I have yet another excuse to tell my girlfriend why I want another snake!
Old 07-28-11, 02:39 PM   #65
Tangomaria

I handle my corn snake every night,Shes called Tango,I've only had her a month and she is my first snake from a rehoming charity for snakes,she had only been in their care for two weeks,the previous owner had lost her for 7 months but when the owner found Tango again she couldn't handle her because she claimed she was agressive,i haven't had any problems with handling her at all,she's very calm and even my 4 year old son handles her,I was told that she had shed in the charitys care but I doubt that was the case as I noticed she went into blue(is that correct ?) her skin dulled and eyes went cloudy,I could handle her throughout and after a couple of days she shed but started to try and shed while I was handling her,by rubbing her snout on me,I figured what was going on and put her back in the viv where she finished it off,I've since read that you mustn't handle while shedding as it stresses them out,she hasn't eaten since then and that was 19 of July,I have offered her food but no interest,so could I be handling Tango to much? I just want what's best for her so any replies would be good.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-29-11, 01:04 PM   #66
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangomaria View Post
I handle my corn snake every night,Shes called Tango,I've only had her a month and she is my first snake from a rehoming charity for snakes,she had only been in their care for two weeks,the previous owner had lost her for 7 months but when the owner found Tango again she couldn't handle her because she claimed she was agressive,i haven't had any problems with handling her at all,she's very calm and even my 4 year old son handles her,I was told that she had shed in the charitys care but I doubt that was the case as I noticed she went into blue(is that correct ?) her skin dulled and eyes went cloudy,I could handle her throughout and after a couple of days she shed but started to try and shed while I was handling her,by rubbing her snout on me,I figured what was going on and put her back in the viv where she finished it off,I've since read that you mustn't handle while shedding as it stresses them out,she hasn't eaten since then and that was 19 of July,I have offered her food but no interest,so could I be handling Tango to much? I just want what's best for her so any replies would be good.

Personally i would say everynight is too much, now that it isnt eating you should not handle AT ALL until it has taken at least two consecutive feeds, dont disturb at all (just water changes and spot cleaning) during this time. A couple of sessions a week is probably better than every night in future.
Old 07-31-11, 12:20 PM   #67
Tangomaria

Thankyou for your reply,I haven't handle Tango since I posted on here,just changed the water morn and night,she's not due a feed untill tuesday so I will not handle her untill then,but do you think I should try and feed in the viv the first couple of times or remove her? Also the another question is on my mind as to how long I should leave the viv light on for as I've read conflicting answers? Thankyou again for the reply it has helped me alot.
Old 07-31-11, 04:04 PM   #68
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

If its an infra red heat light it can be used 24/7. However if its a normal heat light or just a light bulb then it should be on no more than 12 ish hours i believe. Could u provide a little more info on your set up. Viv, lights, heat, thermostat, thermometers? Itll help us to give you more acurate advice. Good luck and congratulations
Old 07-31-11, 05:12 PM   #69
Lankyrob

I feed all my snakes in their vivs, but on a plate so that there is less risk of substrate being ingested
Old 08-01-11, 12:02 AM   #70
Tangomaria

The set up in the viv was set up by the rehoming charity,it's a 2ft6 viv with a heatmat at one end,it has astro turf in,couple of logs,water bowl and greenery,It has a light across the top along bulb,I did buy her a couple of hides but she doesn't use them,she hides under the AstroTurf,the thermomoter is at the back of the tank in the middle it's a Exo Terra thermomoter if that makes any difference? It's kept at 80,I've placed the viv high up ontop of my book cabnet so it is out of the way,there are no drafts as I read you have to keep them out of drafty places,thankyou for your reply too,I hope this info helps you to help me!
I was thinking about feeding on the viv but I'm worried it will make her think that the opening of the viv means feeding time?
Login to remove ads
Old 08-01-11, 06:14 AM   #71
Lankyrob

The hot end temp should be 86 not 80, the coold end should be 75ish. The long bulb sounds like it could be a UV bulb??? Snakes dont need UV as a rule, if it is just there for lighting purposes then 12 hours a day is fine.

If feeding in the viv means opening the viv is feeding time, then taking them out of the viv to eat means that every time you take them out is feeding time. There is no logic to this at all tho many many people will tell you it is true.

Snakes are intelligent enought to know the difference between a hand and prey, if they bite you it is generally a defensive thing rather than a feeding thing. Over time you should be able to tell the difference in YOUR snake between when it is in feed mode and when it isnt. Some snakes are more obvious than others with this.

How big is the snake at the moment? a 2ft6in long viv will probably not be big enough for an adult corn, 3 ft is usually the smallest viv for an adult corn.
Old 08-02-11, 03:31 AM   #72
Tangomaria

Thankyou again for your reply,at the mo I don't think shes that far off from 3ft already,so I will have to invest in a bigger viv,and make sure the temp is correct for her,what you have said makes alot of sense, and to be honest I feel abit of a pratt now!! I'm going to attempt to feed her tonight in her viv and hope she takes it! Will let you know how I get on,your information has helped me alot so thankyou again!
Old 08-04-11, 07:53 PM   #73
ladyjustice33

I find holding my snake to be very relaxing.....maybe that's weird, but I have a high stress job and a terminally ill parent so just chilling on the couch with either my dog or my snake just helps me unwind. My CRB is just a baby, so I don't hold him as much as I would like since I don't want to stress him out, but the bigger he gets, the more I hope to get to chill with him on the couch, lol.
Old 08-04-11, 11:32 PM   #74
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
Snakes are intelligent enought to know the difference between a hand and prey, if they bite you it is generally a defensive thing rather than a feeding thing. Over time you should be able to tell the difference in YOUR snake between when it is in feed mode and when it isnt. Some snakes are more obvious than others with this.

This reminds me.. quick funny story. Had a friend who came over rather often, he always commented on how calm my garter snakes on display in the living room were. They never bite or anything.

So one time when he stopped by my snakes were overdue to feed, I had just gotten done handling a rainbow trout, my hands reeked of that fish slime.

so just for giggles, I asked George to tell me again how calm my snakes were, then I reached into a cage with my right hand, the smell set them off bad (Garter snakes love fish like we do candy) and within moments two of them were chewing on my hand and wouldn't let go.

after a few minutes the did let go.. George was freaked out until I said "sniff my finger" and explained that I did that on purpose.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 08-05-11, 07:09 AM   #75
TalonNC

Did he fall for the smell my finger trick?
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread