border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > sSNAKESs.com Forums > sSNAKESs.com

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-05, 08:59 PM   #61
SnakeyeZ

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeyeZ Send a message via MSN to SnakeyeZ
Thats right...if all were goin todo is complain and argue with each other on a reptile forum.... and sound like a bunch of kids ..THATS whats detering the people...not the moderation or adminstration.
Old 03-18-05, 09:04 PM   #62
evil11

Send a message via AIM to evil11 Send a message via Yahoo to evil11
so lets get back to the important things....snakes
Old 03-18-05, 09:39 PM   #63
sapphire_moon

Send a message via MSN to sapphire_moon Send a message via Yahoo to sapphire_moon
Ok, ummm, I am TOTALLY and completely confused!!

What Happened? Why was the site sold? who was it sold to? why was it sold to the US? (Everythign sold to the US goes bad
)

I gtg to work. I hope I see answers when I get back!

Mischief~ Hamster
Old 03-18-05, 10:16 PM   #64
CHRISANDBOIDS14

Send a message via MSN to CHRISANDBOIDS14
I for one never cared about where another herper was from, and Im sure most of us "northern guys"(canadians), dont care. But I think why people are mad (and are directing their comments toward americans) is because:

A) "Left in the dark"

B) In Canada, the herp community is so much smaller, so everyone knows everyone else pretty much, as was mentioned earlier. There is such a large american herp community compared to Canada, and there are many american site, so there was American Pride because the US had their own US owned/operated sites, but Canada didnt really have any, and this site seemed to be the best one created, ofcourse we still had some american friends(and people from othe places) in it, but it was really a piece of Canadian Pride, and now it was sold to US owners. It killed the pride. Also, everyone is mad because of the fact that is is owned by IguanaFarms.com and some other places that we as a herp community dont like.

C.
Old 03-18-05, 10:39 PM   #65
justinO

Shane, do you know if there will be any opportunity to upgrade photohosting?

thanks,
Justin
Login to remove ads
Old 03-18-05, 10:45 PM   #66
Vengeance

Send a message via ICQ to Vengeance
I think one of the reasons I no longer want to support the site is not the fact that it was sold to an American company, but what that company that it was sold to stands for. From the donate, paypal button on the front page, you are donating to IguanaDepot.com, myself personally, I do not want to support a company that supports the breeding or importation or Iguanas being that they are one of the most abandoned herps out there.

American, Canadian, German, I could care less but I personally would not want to support or be associated with a site that is owned by such a company. So although I may check in here every so often, I definitely will not ever be donating to this site again and will not be putting forth much of an effort to remain active here either.

1.2.1 Ball Pythons
1.0 Cali King Snake (Weebl)
0.0.1 Black Breasted Leaf Turtle (Hootie)
Old 03-19-05, 12:31 AM   #67
sapphire_moon

Send a message via MSN to sapphire_moon Send a message via Yahoo to sapphire_moon
wooooooow.
WHO was ssnakess.com sold to? WHY was it sold? WHEN was it sold?

Mischief~ Hamster
Old 03-19-05, 12:38 AM   #68
JAdkins2451

Send a message via MSN to JAdkins2451
I belive it was sold to an Iguana Farm, I dont know why or when.. But this is what I got out of what happend last night.

Jamie
Old 03-19-05, 12:38 AM   #69
katev17

Send a message via MSN to katev17
Sooo... about those suggestions...

Maybe there could be a literature forum... To share any books or magazines or something that you find really helpful and interesting?

I dunno, it might be getting too picky, but I think it would be pretty cool.

Anyways, since Heather CLEARLY stated that this was not the place to discuss anything other than suggestions to improve the site... I will refrain from making any other comments.

Mmmmm..... getting back to normalcy.....
Kate
Old 03-19-05, 12:39 AM   #70
katev17

Send a message via MSN to katev17
*ahem* CLEARLY STATED...*ahem*
Login to remove ads
Old 03-19-05, 12:43 AM   #71
Jason Wakelin

I registered September 21, 2002. Since then I've not had a whole lot to say, or less than 100 posts. But, pretty much every day since that beginning I would "pop by" to look at what was going on. Heck (no screw that) HELL, ssnakess has even been my homepage for the last 6 months or so. So am I staying? NO WAY!!

I feel lied to, cheated, and decieved. This site was sold out. Not only to an American company, but to an Iguana farm! I can't be the only person who believes that "pet" Iguanas are a bane to this hobby. And to support this farming by posting or reading this forum, why would anyone (American or Canadian) do it?

America is a big country. No matter what your politics are you are still American, and that is a brother/sisterhood. More people live in California than all of Canada. So this little piece of Canada is gone. I have nothing in particular against Americans, Germans, the English, Indians, Africans, or anyone at all for that manner. But, given the chance to support my brothers and sisters I will do so, wouldn't you?

Jeff and Shane you can come back now to do your masters bidding. It is so strange that until the mass exodus started to happen you have been absent for a long, long, very long time. So keep your contract, try to use your name and reputation so "save this site". I will have none of it.

My last post,
Jason Wakelin
Gecko and Frog Keeper/Breeder
Canadian

Old 03-19-05, 09:05 AM   #72
evil11

Send a message via AIM to evil11 Send a message via Yahoo to evil11
Iguana Farms are as bad as burm breeders. my nephew owns a pet shop and iguanas are dropped off left and right. he cant even sell them. the same with burms. i will not and can not ever support either thing.
Old 03-19-05, 09:22 AM   #73
Shane Tesser

Iguana's are the tip of the iceburg. Lets look logically at the animals sold everyday. This is common place for everything from dogs and cats, to fish and rodents. Its a simple supply and demand. If no one wanted them.....you wouldn't see them. If ppl knew more about care, realized their growth potential, read up on their dietary requirements....then alot less ppl would probably buy one in the first place! Your statements about Iguana's are backwards. If you produce a product, you don't go out, make as much as you can of that product and force it onto the market......if no one wants it...you wont be able to sell it! If there is demand in "X" number for this product...you produce that much to succeed! No company just makes a product in hopes that it will sell.....that's called putting yourself out of business. Does McDonalds make 10,000 big mac's in the morning knowing that they may only sell 300??? I doubt it! So whats the solution here that ppl have. I think this is the biggest question. Ban them outright??? I know some very big herp keepers....including ones on this site that have iggies....and ill tell you, alot of them are very very well looked after....a joy to own for these ppl with their great personalities and extremely loved. Should we not allow access to these ppl??? While we are at it, lets start going after dog and cat breeders! How many of those go home with ppl not prepared.....what happens to them? They become strays, or get dumped off in the country on some road somewhere! Its such a bad problem that you will be hard pressed to find a city or town that doesn't have a shelter for these animals....and full time staff that goes to pick them up and rescue them!!!

For those of you who believe your dealing and supporting an evil empire that sells iguana's only....please give your heads a shake! Your dealing with one of the largest reptile dealers, dry goods producers, worms, crickets, and decorations producers out there!!! A company who wants to see this site, this hobby flourish. A company that will spend much needed dollars here, provide access to stuff that no other site can. This is just early stages and clean up. Alot goes on behind the scenes and its unfortunate that we all can't take part! What we can do is help steer this site into a positive direction......we are asking for the community to tell us what they want! Its your site, you use it!!! Do you see a bunch of corporate executives here posting polls, pie graphs and wondering what the bottom line is??? NO!!! Use your heads!
Old 03-19-05, 09:31 AM   #74
PYTHONS N BOAS
Banned

Shane, I just lost any respect for you I ever had. And I wonder why suddenly you are back and helping the site out, was it in a contract?

People like Jason, that kind of thing is what I respect.

The company is a terrible company, not only do they sell mass produced reptiles like Iguanas and turtles to the pet market, but the guy who bought this site also runs a food business, and they sell "food and medicine" from their reptile farms to all over the world.

They don't care about the hobby, they care about their wallets - this is not news, do a couple of searches on Fauna and other places for Flukers and Howard Chan. I had posted a link earlier that got taken down.

If that is what you want to support, keep posting, I will not.

Also, I don't think it is an American company anyways - so all this talk about Americans is poinltess.

Ryan (used to be scales zoo)
Old 03-19-05, 09:38 AM   #75
tdherper

I cant believe the ridiculous and petty idiocy about the site being purchased by US interests. I am reading messages from people that cannot even spell simple words properly, written while they climb up on their soapboxes and proclaim how they have been duped or screwed by the sale of this site. Its ridiculous, period.
I have been a member of this site since I used it to "give" a couple of my friend's snakes to a good home. I was successful in finding them a home, and had many inquiries about them from members. Since then, I have visited the site daily and enjoy my time here very much. BTW, the same person who took my free snakes, then sold them for profit. BHR, you cant spell, but you sure pulled one over on me.....
I value all the reptile expertise in these forums, but this ridiculous claim of selling out to the US is annoying. Many have complained about the admin being unavailable, obviously life has many facets, and unfortunately somethings certainly have been more pressing for them than this site. Maybe a change of ownership is good for the site, let's give it a try.
As mentioned before, it's the members that made this site what it was and is, Canadian, American, Swiss, Dutch, Latin American, and so on. We all love reptiles, and come to this site to share and observe each others thoughts, knowledge, and wit.
I also share the viewpoint of how comical it is when people make their final post for the 50th time.....those of you who hate this site so much, leave, no one is forcing you to stay. And to all of you I feel I know through the daily interactions on this site, I look forward to continuing our online community that has become a part of the daily routine.
Thanks for your time....

Last edited by tdherper; 03-19-05 at 09:41 AM..
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread