border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you consider creating intergrades and/or hybrids a moral or ethical thing?
It's a moral debate 5 19.23%
It's an ethics debate 21 80.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-12, 12:44 AM   #61
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Re: Breeding vs Morals and Ethics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebody View Post
in this day and age everyone seems to see things the same way, or at least racism does not exsist here, thank god! but just a short 100 years ago, people were so narrow minded, they thought each color should be sperate.
everyone's a little bit racist, its true...

everyone needs to see Avenue Q if they have the opportunity. I was fortunate enough to see it 2 years ago and I would love to attend again if its ever performed near me again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
I get what you're saying and I have to agree. It muddles things up even more, especially with the likes of carpets in North America.
glad I was able to convey that thought, I wasn't sure how clear I could be without giving specific examples

Quote:
That therein lies the issue. A lot of hybrids just look like a new morph of one parent or the other and lies are always given to what they really are or the babies are bred back to pure strains of one parent line and sold as pure.

Back a number of years people were breeding diamond carpet pythons to jungle carpets and claiming they were pure diamonds because they sold for like $1,000 bucks a pop.
and that's where it becomes a slippery slope and dishonest people ruin it for the rest of us. I make it a point to not deal with breeders that engage in those sorts of practices if I find out about them in time. Only reason I'll even entertain the thought of working with them is if they've got something I REALLY want (a dwarf burm for example until I bought my girl, I thought I was going to have to buy from BC, *shudder*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleely View Post
why do people get so worked up if "their" threads get off topic? good lord if you don't want discussion don't post in public.

i hope that pissy tirade was a joke.

Actually i don't care either way. I'll just talk about elk and snakes as i please.
I tend to agree with korbin, i think it was, on the shedding of antlers and the males mating and all that.

I already said my opinion on snakes. Which i guess moreliaddict was agreeing with..? Since we said basically the same thing.

Hmm anyway my favorite pudding is vanilla. Why do you think that is, when i am strictly a chocolate person when it comes to say, chocolate? I like vanilla cake though. My favorite is white cake with whipped cream frosting.
You?
I don't get it either, but whatever. I'm gonna try and get to the museum on campus on Wednesday and take some pictures of the impressive Irish Elk skeleton they have mounted and share it with you guys.

I love mixed vanilla/chocolate pudding. I'm a sucker for strawberry jello cake personally, or rum cake, or better-than-sex cake. All three are fantastic options.

Although those last two discussion topics are probably a little TOO off topic. Back to the breeding discussion...
Old 04-08-12, 07:47 PM   #62
cenecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
You do realize that albinos and other morphs are nature created too right?
Human morphs: blue eyes, blonde/red hair, blood type, ear lobe shape, butt chin (not sure the actual name for this) fingerprint shape, widow's peak, the whorle (sp?), granted we don't breed for these traits (most of us don't anyways) but if you've got blue eyes, technically you're a freak (I'm one, yay!). That's also not a bad thing.

I still need to respond to those other posts...
You are correct about that. There is of course the argument that most of these mutations would be highly subject to natural selection (its not adventageous to be white and pink when you are small and edible!). Natural selection typically removes these traits from the gene pool whilst we perpetuate them in captivity...hhmmmm

however, I will again state that im speaking more about my personal taste than morals. I certainly dont look down on thode who breed color or pattern morphs, its just notmy preference.
Old 04-08-12, 11:52 PM   #63
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenecker View Post
You are correct about that. There is of course the argument that most of these mutations would be highly subject to natural selection (its not adventageous to be white and pink when you are small and edible!). Natural selection typically removes these traits from the gene pool whilst we perpetuate them in captivity...hhmmmm

however, I will again state that im speaking more about my personal taste than morals. I certainly dont look down on thode who breed color or pattern morphs, its just notmy preference.
yup, but they still survive. The co-doms and dominant genes are ones in particular that intrigue me more. Surely they must have something that allowed them in the past to become more prevalent and thus more common resulting in a stronger gene.

I dunno, I'm just kind of blabbing now.

No worries, we all have our preferences. That's kind of what I've taken from this thread, everybody has their own view on the subject. I'm a little more open minded than most and its evident here as well.
Old 04-16-12, 01:56 PM   #64
CDN_Blood
Custos serpentium

Send a message via Yahoo to CDN_Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M View Post
Want some cheese with that whine? Everything talked about in this thread It is relevant to the topic. If you want to consider the thread closed, do so. In reality, it is still open. This is a public forum you started a topic on. If people want to reply with what they feel is relevant information, they can. If you want to have a private coversation with yourself, that is what a padded room was made for.
You know, it takes 10 kinds of arrogance to make a statement like this in public. Fortunately, all it does is show the world the quality of your character. Thanks for sharing this little glimpse into your psyche <rolls eyes>
Old 04-16-12, 05:42 PM   #65
millertime89
Forum Moderator

I agree with Gregg 100%. I was going to say something snarky, but I changed my mind. The tread is now dead and you brought it back by responding to Gregg. Just pointing that out.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-16-12, 08:26 PM   #66
jaleely
Member of the family

haha good point millertime.

So CDN...i'd like to know why you think greg is arrogant...but are acting like you are not? I do believe you're the one that got fussy that people even talked on *your* thread. I mean i can only assume you are being ironic...
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 04-17-12, 09:17 AM   #67
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Who wants my .02!?
I think albinos and morphs are all creepy and ugly! I just prefer the way nature makes everything. That's my taste and what "seems right" to me.
i'm not trying to be a smart arse but.....

" albino's " occur in the wild all the time,so albino's are the way nature makes them mate

cheers shaun
Old 04-17-12, 09:22 AM   #68
MoreliAddict
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Who wants my .02!?

For me its simple. I've honestly never been a fan hybrids, albinos, morphs, mixed localities, etc. I know most of the herptoculture world disagrees with me (and I don't begrudge them that!) but I think albinos and morphs are all creepy and ugly! I just prefer the way nature makes everything. That's my taste and what "seems right" to me.

My moral stance...not sure really. We've raised many good points here. Keeping animals in boxes instead of the wild is already playing god. Where do you draw the line?

Great Thread!
All morphs (excluding combinations of multiple morphs) were plucked from the wild. As Shaun said, nature "makes" albinos as well.
Old 04-17-12, 04:40 PM   #69
red ink
Wandering Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunyboy View Post
i'm not trying to be a smart arse but.....

" albino's " occur in the wild all the time,so albino's are the way nature makes them mate

cheers shaun
Yep... that's were all albino carpets come from.

Blondie and white phoenix, both WC animals surrendered to wildlife authorities and given permission to be bred from.
Old 04-26-12, 10:31 AM   #70
Gregg M
Squamata Concepts

Send a message via Yahoo to Gregg M

Quote:
I get what you're saying and I have to agree. It muddles things up even more, especially with the likes of carpets in North America.
You would be suprized how common locality spacific carpets are now becoming. Heck, pretty recently, I legally imported pure zoo bred Darwin carpets into the US. Working on the papers to get 3 more locality spacific carpet subspecies in.
Old 05-05-12, 12:38 PM   #71
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M View Post
You would be suprized how common locality spacific carpets are now becoming. Heck, pretty recently, I legally imported pure zoo bred Darwin carpets into the US. Working on the papers to get 3 more locality spacific carpet subspecies in.
You should post updates of them, I would love to see them.
Closed Thread

Tags
breeding, ethics, morals