border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-12, 03:00 PM   #46
ballpython1717

Re: 6-8 foot python?

i wanted to get a woma python, but they were to hard to find so i ended up settling for a pastel ball
Old 09-24-12, 01:17 AM   #47
Splashstorm

Is there a difference in temperaments between a python and boa at all? I heard people say pythons were more active, but googling elsewhere I can't find anything else on this difference.
Old 09-24-12, 03:29 AM   #48
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashstorm View Post
Is there a difference in temperaments between a python and boa at all? I heard people say pythons were more active, but googling elsewhere I can't find anything else on this difference.
It depends on the type of Python and the type of boa. They are not all created equal.
Old 09-24-12, 09:19 AM   #49
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Like Chuck said, stay away from white lipped pythons, definitely not a beginner python IMO. If you're looking for a python in the 6-8ft range, get a carpet python. Half dwarf Burms are hard to find and with their addition to the Lacey Act there might be some people out there selling normal burms as dwarfs or half dwarfs. Full dwarfs can have attitude problems but everyone that I've spoken with that works with them says the half dwarfs behave just like full sized ones. I would also avoid superdwarf retics as a first snake. They can be flighty and they can be bitey and the still have that retic feeding response which even coming from a 12-18 in snake can be just a little intimidating. A half SD wouldn't be a bad option though if you can trust the breeder.
I don't know much about boas unless you're looking at Brazilian Rainbow Boas.
Old 09-24-12, 08:49 PM   #50
Desert

Boa constrictors can be biters. A boa can tag you out of plain old meanness. I would say their demeanor is not as consistently docile as the woma python.

Odd, but it seems that boas are getting meaner. I and a neighbor boy both had pet Colombian boas in early teens. Those snakes were incredibly docile. Now, it seems to me that boas are much less hesitant to fear bite. I wonder if the morph breeding has something to do with it.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-24-12, 10:38 PM   #51
rmfsnakes32

I have 4 boas and they are fine I feel it depends on the owner and how much human action it recieves just an opinion!
Old 09-24-12, 11:48 PM   #52
promdom

Quote:
I might get a Central American boa. They seem calmer and better for the first time owner. Also it looks like Boas are thicker than carpet pythons (or is that just me?)
I'd go with a columbian (BC Imperator) over a central american. they tend to be more docile, and t he morphs are awesome!!
Old 09-25-12, 04:26 AM   #53
Philmul

I got a rt boa and she is really docile, if you want a docile snake why not go for a ball python they only grow 4 and a half ft but are brilliant snakes.
Old 09-25-12, 06:43 PM   #54
boosh96

OP, are you still debating between a boa and a python? If so, I'd recommend a Colombian Boa constrictor imperator from personal experience. My Zoey has been a little angel since I got her at 2 months and 3 days old. If 8 feet is your maximum length, I would go with a male-they usually average around 5 to 6 feet, which is still a decent size snake considering the "thickness" of a Boa constrictor in comparison to a Carpet python. Females have the potential to get up to 9 feet or more. Perhaps a male BCI would be the best fit for you! Or maybe a carpet python would be better for you personally, but I'm glad I went with a Boa constrictor.
Old 09-26-12, 07:23 AM   #55
Wildside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert View Post
Boa constrictors can be biters. A boa can tag you out of plain old meanness. I would say their demeanor is not as consistently docile as the woma python.

Odd, but it seems that boas are getting meaner. I and a neighbor boy both had pet Colombian boas in early teens. Those snakes were incredibly docile. Now, it seems to me that boas are much less hesitant to fear bite. I wonder if the morph breeding has something to do with it.

Don't feed the troll
Login to remove ads
Old 09-26-12, 02:46 PM   #56
Snakeman8

ball pyhtons are a good beginner snake, very docile species.
Old 09-26-12, 02:47 PM   #57
Snakeman8

carpets are also a good choice.
or,even better, a carpall. ( carpet x ball )
Old 09-27-12, 05:55 AM   #58
Splashstorm

Are there any other pythons around the length preference that is more active and just as thick as the Columbian boa?
Old 09-27-12, 06:43 AM   #59
Wildside

Quote:
Are there any other pythons around the length preference that is more active and just as thick as the Columbian boa?

Why don't you just get a boa?
Old 09-27-12, 07:34 AM   #60
Simon17

Alrite mate, I have a Ball Python Fem 5ft max, My 2nd is an Irain Jaya Carpet Python which he's at 4.5-5ft range alot bigger than my ball, and then I've got a boa. In away I wish i got the carpet as my first one but again both of them are very docile towards me and are very good snakes to have. Tho ball's are more pickie eaters, every thing else will munch anythin.
1.0.0 Red Albino corn
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
beginner, docile, python