sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-12, 08:56 PM   #46
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Re: Atheris broadleyi CB 2011 female

I'm never going to attempt keeping hots, but if I did, I would choose anything with the word Atheris in it. (Atheris hispida in particular is my favourite venomous snake...I just love looking up pics of them)
Instagram: pareeeee17
Old 11-27-12, 08:20 AM   #47
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

Atheris hispida are absolutely amazing animals. Unfortunately, no one has been able to successfully keep them alive in captivity. They do not feed on rodents like other Atheris, nor do they thrive when fed geckos and frogs. As far as I know, their natural diet isn't really known. I do have a friend who had great success feeding one on banana slugs. However, when winter set in and he could no longer get slugs for it, the snake died. So as much as I love them, I wouldn't try to keep one until people have figured them out a bit and ideal conditions are known.
Old 11-28-12, 04:59 PM   #48
beardeds4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
No problem. I adore arboreal vipers and enjoy talking to others about them.
I agree! I love squams. They will probably be one of my first hots I own.
Old 12-28-12, 06:19 PM   #49
Snakeman8

the first hots i would like to keep are either rattlesnakes or cobras, albino prefferably
Old 01-02-13, 11:41 AM   #50
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

Snakeman8, neither of those is a good first venomous snake. I have an albino cobra, and while I do find him beautiful, he is very difficult to work with. He is fast, aggressive, and not shy at all. Cobras require agility, speed, and knowledge of their movements to keep you safe, and even then they learn to predict your movements and take advantage of any routine.

Rattlesnakes are very toxic, and almost always cause semi-permanent or permanent tissue damage. They are more likely to retreat than cobras, but strikes are fast and bites are very potent. While some species are worse than others, none make a good first hot.

I would recommend looking into less potent snakes for first hots. While there is no really good first venomous snake, there are some that are less likely to cause you to die from a mistake. American copperheads (Agkistrodon contotrix spp.) are a good start if you want to work with rattlers later on. They are alert, quick and curious, and can be feisty. Most US hospitals stock Cro-Fab because copperheads and rattlers are indigenous in most of the states. A copperhead bite can cause joint damage, some necrosis, systemic sickness, coagulation problems, but is generally not as bad as a rattlesnake bite.

The best practice I found for cobras isn't a venomous snake at all...it's mean rat snakes. I love my Spilotes, and she is actually trickier to handle on a hook than a cobra. However, coral cobras (Aspidelaps) are a nice starter elapid. Their bites are not good, but unlikely to cause any permanent damage.

I hope this helps.
Closed Thread

Tags
broadleyi, bush viper, eating