Re: Fish Keepers.

I used to keep fish too

My Sexy angelfish video by 111olbap - Photobucket

^VIDEO

Old 12-02-11, 09:44 PM   #47
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my pics! I love rainbows...

HOWEVER...
The coolest fish I ever owned was a Freshwater Moray Eel. He was trained to take the f/t fish right from my hand! You really had to watch those strong little jaws though...

This was him. RIP...

Speaking of jaws...bet you didn't know this...they have two sets of them! Like Aliens!
Instagram: pareeeee17
Old 12-02-11, 09:56 PM   #48
Jay
Bcc fanatic

@Mistersprinkles
The Cichlid tank is being split into 2 55g's
They are fed a mixture of flakes, small pellets and blood worms
Thank you for your kind words.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayyboy16?feature=mhee
Old 12-02-11, 10:18 PM   #49
millertime89
Forum Moderator

that freshwater moray is awesome, might have to look into getting one of those once I get my tank set up. How big do they get?
grr... need brackish, maybe in a few years.

Last edited by millertime89; 12-02-11 at 10:43 PM..
Old 12-02-11, 11:57 PM   #50
mistersprinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0133 View Post
@Mistersprinkles
The Cichlid tank is being split into 2 55g's
They are fed a mixture of flakes, small pellets and blood worms
Thank you for your kind words.
Splitting into 2 55s sounds like a very sensible idea Jay.

May I make a suggestion from experience? Will you please trust me and try it? If you don't mind spending the money, and you want more gorgeous fish, buy Dainichi Splash Page dainichi Color FX for your fish. Veggie FX if you have any vegetarian fish and mix them. The quality of the food is unmatched and you see color improvements in 3 days man. Also I suggest swapping the bloodworms, which africans don't digest as well, to Mysis shrimp, which are healthier for them and help clean their bowel. Still lovely fish. If you trust me on the food they will be even lovelier. I was SHOCKED by this food. It blows everything else away. Makes NLS look like Junk food. It's absolutely brilliant. Automatically removes parasites too and prevents them because it contains clay, which in turn contains fantastic natural minerals for the fish. The whole thing is spectacular. Best fish food on the market ATM bar none. Get a big bag, freeze it, take out small portions in a pill jar at a time, last you 2 years.

Just the Dainichi and Mysis. That's it. Try it .

Adds a brilliant sheen and coloring (this fish is only 1.5")

Superior body shape and muscle tone and color at young age (goby is only 1")
Also a superior growth rate (the mysis will help with that trust me and the fish love it.)

This is the same fish on New Life Spectrum

Then after TEN DAYS of Dainichi Veggie FX

It's the only food guaranteed to enhance white AND black. I mean jet black. Notice how the black on the lab went like outer space black in the 10 days and the acei began to get a white tail. It even put yellow and white into the labs tail. All in 10 days. It is spectacular.
It also guarantees perfect body shape unlike some foods. Produces brilliant green, blue, purple, and yellows.
Look at the body shape and color improvement it made to this Yellowtail Acei cichlid in only ten days. It's great stuff for your fish. They will thank you. And they love it. They take it like crack.
You'll never buy anything else again. It's like seeing Jurassic Park for the first time dude. Buy the food. your cichlids are beautiful, this will be like putting turtle wax on them to make them more beautiful, and healthy. Love your fish bro. Hope you take my advice to heart I worked at a fish section of a pet shop and serviced aquariums privately formerly. PLEASE dude. Those are quality labs. The yellow and blacks will be beyond belief. That's Veggie FX or Color FX depending on if you have a lot of omnivores/vegetarians. If you have omnivores and carnivores get color FX. It's all natural. No artificial color enhancement its done with a special kind of algae extract and natural pigment extracts. It's all good.

Last edited by mistersprinkles; 12-03-11 at 12:17 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 12-03-11, 12:26 AM   #51
mistersprinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
that freshwater moray is awesome, might have to look into getting one of those once I get my tank set up. How big do they get?
grr... need brackish, maybe in a few years.
You want a SPINY EEL or FIRE or TIRETRACK EEL can be kept completely FW gets a decent size and is friendly. Look them up.

30" FIRE EEL (MR EEL) - YouTube

Hand feeding an eel

You can get one as a baby for about ten dollars and raise up a sweet monster like this. Best if you keep it alone in my opinion. Get it a big tank.

You could also get a ropefish
rope fish feeding video - YouTube

I say get a 55G and the standard Spiny eel that gets about 12-15". It will be ok in there for life.

If you put any fish with it, make sure they are surface dwelling and very peaceful and large and will not attack the eel. The eel may attack them as it ages, it is wise to keep the eel alone.

As a baby, it could live with platies, for instance, and the babies would be good for it (sorry if that offends anyone).

Another option is a Bichir, which is similar looking to an eel.

Last edited by mistersprinkles; 12-03-11 at 12:37 AM..
Old 12-03-11, 02:39 AM   #52
millertime89
Forum Moderator

My brother has a Bichir in his 55 gallon, cool fish for sure, I just want something different.
Thanks for the info, I've got a 55 gallon and some of the basics that I got for a steal from a buddy who is moving to Florida and didn't want to take it with him. Once I'm in my new place and can convince my roommates fish won't be an issue (managed to convince them a few snakes won't hurt anyone either) I'll get that and maybe my 29 set up with some fishies. I really need to just graduate and buy my own house so I can set it up however I want.
Old 12-03-11, 12:42 PM   #53
mistersprinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
My brother has a Bichir in his 55 gallon, cool fish for sure, I just want something different.
Thanks for the info, I've got a 55 gallon and some of the basics that I got for a steal from a buddy who is moving to Florida and didn't want to take it with him. Once I'm in my new place and can convince my roommates fish won't be an issue (managed to convince them a few snakes won't hurt anyone either) I'll get that and maybe my 29 set up with some fishies. I really need to just graduate and buy my own house so I can set it up however I want.
I most suggest the smaller spiny eel species that stay at a foot or so kept alone in a 55. As you can see they are friendly to humans.
Old 12-03-11, 04:46 PM   #54
millertime89
Forum Moderator

I would say, that fire eel video was cool, I'll have to see what the 2 exotic fish shops here in town can find for me.
Old 12-04-11, 07:24 PM   #55
mistersprinkles

Just get them to order the regular spiny eel. It's easy to get. Get one small. Like four to six inches. They start out fearful. Tankmates (later lunchmates) like platys will make the eel more comfortable. If you get the fire eel, they get big, and 55G is no good. You can keep the regular spiny eel in 55G though.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-04-11, 07:47 PM   #56
Norm66
Cold Blooded Chaos

Mr.Sprinkles, great looking Africans! I love your eretmodus. Gobies are some of the coolest fish I've ever owned.

I attended the annual ACA (American Cichlid Association) convention in Silver Spring, MD this year and there was a Dainichi rep there giving samples & talking about the product. I was impressed with what they told me. Unfortunately I had just bought a rather large supply of NLS right before so I haven't made the switch yet. My fish were all juvies when they ate the samples so I didn't really notice a color difference (plus I keep Tangs and most of them aren't super-colorful anyway) but they sure did like it.

And I can plug the mysis shrimp too. Most of my fish are still enough that they have parts of the shrimp hanging out of their mouth but they never let them go. hehehe

On a different tangent, I'm super excited because my cyps (Tanganyikan sardine fish) are coloring up, the males anyway, and starting to spawn. I've only seen one baby so far but there are multiple females holding and the males are really starting to look brilliant with their bright blues and one w/ a yellow tail. They're starting to do the mating shiver and chase each other around a good bit too. It's like a little soap opera in there.

I like raising juvies because it's so exciting when they start to grow up. Still waiting on my altos, multies and xenos to get to that point.
Old 12-05-11, 04:57 PM   #57
ashleynicole

I alternate feeding New life spectrum and omega one, basically I go on the ingredients, Omega one seems to have a better ingredient composition than NLS. I am looking into dainichi now though, but is it only for cichlids?

Edit: my computer is telling me some of the links on that dainichi site are not trustable. Also I couldn't find an ingredients composition list anywhere on the parts of the site that I could access. I will stick with omega one and NLS.
2.2 corns(1.0 okatee "Salazar", 1.0 snow motley, 0.1 sunglo motley, 0.1 amelanistic normal),1.0 chocolate California king, 1.0 Mexican hognose, 1.0 Ball Python ("Ka", the old man), 1.0 bearded dragon "Toothless"
Old 12-09-11, 01:27 PM   #58
Jay
Bcc fanatic

WOW thanks to some sound advice from a member of ssnakess "mistersprinkles" I switched over to dainichi color FX and its only been about a week and the results are unbelievable. It's also only about $30 for a 1 pound bag.

BEFORE

AFTER

Old 12-09-11, 02:32 PM   #59
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

That's a crazy color change.. I love the after!
Old 12-09-11, 04:41 PM   #60
Jay
Bcc fanatic

Thanks, it's so hard to get a decent shot of a fish lol.

Login to remove ads
Closed Thread