Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-17, 07:27 AM   #46
Psyrocke

Send a message via Yahoo to Psyrocke Send a message via Skype™ to Psyrocke
Re: Introducing Dr. Coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
I wanted to try out posting a video, so here's one of Dr. Coil eating. Nothing innovative and no cool music or text, but have to start somewhere.

The video is set to private, so you will have to change the viewing audience to public/unprivate the video but I can push the button and the video does appear to be in your post.
Old 03-14-17, 07:30 AM   #47
whistlepig

Good to know. My first time trying things out with youtube. I think I made the change, let me know if it made a difference.
Old 03-14-17, 08:19 AM   #48
Psyrocke

Send a message via Yahoo to Psyrocke Send a message via Skype™ to Psyrocke

Quote:
Good to know. My first time trying things out with youtube. I think I made the change, let me know if it made a difference.
It did make a difference. So cool to watch the good Dr. eat haha.
Old 03-14-17, 08:22 AM   #49
eminart

Love the video. Awesome little snake. They're so different than most commonly kept snakes. As I mentioned before, I've often considered trying to breed a pair of racers. This thread is inspiring me. I'm tempted to drop my tiger rat snake plans and do this instead.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 03-14-17, 08:29 AM   #50
Grizla

i love the way he moves! makes getting from one side of the cage to the other look like an extreme sport! cool vid!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-14-17, 08:58 AM   #51
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Very nice critter. It'll be really cool to watch his progression. Thanks for sharing.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 03-14-17, 07:11 PM   #52
whistlepig

Thanks everyone. I do love this little guy and will continue to share the pictures and video. Hopefully I'll learn how to spice up the videos in the future. Good to know he is an inspiration, I do think it would be cool to breed racers and let more people get exposed to how interesting their behavior can be. However, those tiger rat snakes looked super awesome as well.
Old 03-17-17, 12:29 PM   #53
whistlepig

Some updated photos today, made it almost a month since the last set (the video doesn't count). Bear with me, I'm like a parent of an only child who can't help but show pictures to everyone. haha. Anyway, Dr. Coil is going into shed so I'm trying to limit my picture updates to every time he sheds.

Old 03-17-17, 01:01 PM   #54
eminart

He's a good-looking little guy.

What is his behavior like? Is he very active? I know racers generally are, but just wondering how that translates to a well-fed racer in captivity.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 03-17-17, 01:15 PM   #55
whistlepig

Thanks. Good question, which is somewhat difficult for me to answer since I've never owned another type of snake. From what I've gathered on this site, I get the impression that normal pet snake behavior is relatively inactive except when the animal gets hungry. My experience has been quite different. He is active at least 50 % of every day, a lot of days I'd say it's a higher percent than that. He will become inactive for maybe 24 hrs after eating.

I've had to sort of guess with feeding frequency. Since he is an active snake, I've settled on every 3 days. As of today he is 450 mm (about 18 in) and I feed him two large pinkies at every meal. I'll be trying to move up to fuzzies the next time I go to the store. Hope that helps. He's set up right by my desk at work and I watch him all the time, so if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-17-17, 01:20 PM   #56
eminart

Yes, 50% of the day is definitely a lot more active than most captive snakes. My indigo, which is supposedly an active species, stays in his hide the majority of the time. He's more active in the warmer months, but even then, he usually just takes a stroll or two each day. I think one thing that interests me about racers is that they seem like indigos on crack. LOL.
Old 03-17-17, 04:20 PM   #57
whistlepig

Haha. There are times when I think he may indeed be on crack.

I don't know what is typical, more or less active with age, but I wonder if he will become less active as he gets older and the meals take longer to digest.
Old 03-18-17, 05:51 AM   #58
eminart

Quote:

I don't know what is typical, more or less active with age, but I wonder if he will become less active as he gets older and the meals take longer to digest.

Probably somewhat. But most snake species are also a little less apt to hide once they're larger. Less predators for adult snakes.
Old 03-18-17, 09:54 AM   #59
Cricket1234

Quote:
Thanks. Good question, which is somewhat difficult for me to answer since I've never owned another type of snake. From what I've gathered on this site, I get the impression that normal pet snake behavior is relatively inactive except when the animal gets hungry. My experience has been quite different. He is active at least 50 % of every day, a lot of days I'd say it's a higher percent than that. He will become inactive for maybe 24 hrs after eating.

I've had to sort of guess with feeding frequency. Since he is an active snake, I've settled on every 3 days. As of today he is 450 mm (about 18 in) and I feed him two large pinkies at every meal. I'll be trying to move up to fuzzies the next time I go to the store. Hope that helps. He's set up right by my desk at work and I watch him all the time, so if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
Wow! My snake is a the most inactive snake ever. I have had him for 3+ MONTHS, and have only ever seen him out once. He just stays under his water bowl all day despite my 5 hides and foliage to cover him! Must be cool to see your little guy, I take him out to handle every day so I can see mine is still alive
Old 03-18-17, 10:09 AM   #60
whistlepig

What kind of snake do you have? I do enjoy being able to just sit around and watch him explore the cage and dig through the substrate, and for that reason he probably worked out to be the perfect kind of snake for me to have. However, there are trade-offs, being held seems to really stress him out, so I don't take him out all that often. That doesn't bother me too much though. However, one thing I would like to be able to do, is take him outside for either change of scenery or taking pictures like it seems like a lot of people on here are able to do. I'm pretty sure if I put him on the ground outside of his enclosure, I may never be able to catch him again. He is extremely fast.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread