border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-15, 11:07 AM   #46
Sylphie

Re: Orion - Russian Rat Snake, melanistic

prairiepanda, that's true too The owner said that he was feeding him 2 mouses every two weeks, so the same amount as I feed mine... but still that mouses might be bigger or something.

I contacted the shop where I probed Artemis... hope that I'll be able to determine Orion sex soon!
Old 06-26-15, 11:58 AM   #47
Sylphie

Re: Orion - Russian Rat Snake, melanistic

Huh, anyone know how to contact one of the Moderators? I would love to join this thread to the one of Artemis, and keep it all in one... and of course I will need to delete the first line in this thread, as it will be no longer necessary
Old 06-29-15, 11:24 AM   #48
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Re: Artemis - Russian Rat Snake

Threads merged at Sylphie's request.
Old 07-02-15, 09:54 AM   #49
Sylphie

Lesson of the day - don't let the mouse boil too much...

I was hand feeding Orion for the first time (you know, I'm planning to keep him and Arty in one big viv, so they must be okay with eating on my hands and not in the viv). He went straight for it, no stress at all... but the mouse was too delicate, and it rip in two... blood and guts everywhere, that's really not a funny thing! (especially the smell, uhh)

Any suggestions on how to not thaw too much? One learns his whole life...
Old 07-02-15, 10:27 AM   #50
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphie View Post
Lesson of the day - don't let the mouse boil too much...

I was hand feeding Orion for the first time (you know, I'm planning to keep him and Arty in one big viv, so they must be okay with eating on my hands and not in the viv). He went straight for it, no stress at all... but the mouse was too delicate, and it rip in two... blood and guts everywhere, that's really not a funny thing! (especially the smell, uhh)

Any suggestions on how to not thaw too much? One learns his whole life...
I thaw the feeders in cool or warm but not hot water. Then I super heat them with a hair dryer to 95-100 degrees before serving.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 07-02-15, 10:40 AM   #51
Sylphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
I thaw the feeders in cool or warm but not hot water. Then I super heat them with a hair dryer to 95-100 degrees before serving.
Uh, at first I was like "what, 100 degrees?!", then I remembered that you're using Fahrenheit, not Celcius, haha Thank you for advice!
Old 07-04-15, 10:44 PM   #52
Obsidian_Dragon

I've hand fed 'Tasha a time or two, but she likes to try gently nom my fingers instead. Even if I use tongs, she'll try to climb up them to my fingers. ...no, silly snake...
Old 07-05-15, 03:00 AM   #53
Sylphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian_Dragon View Post
I've hand fed 'Tasha a time or two, but she likes to try gently nom my fingers instead. Even if I use tongs, she'll try to climb up them to my fingers. ...no, silly snake...
You know, Artemis is recently in her "hunting all the time" mode. Yesterday I tried to change the water bowl, and she strikes at me... unfortunately for her I can sense what she's planning pretty good, and she doesn't hit me. But I must tell you that from all our snakes I don't trust Arty (although I have her the longest time). She's just soo "always hunting" that you must watch her closely.
Still she's my most beloved snake, haha!

Soon (I think that circa 14 July) I'll introduce Orion to Artemis, and ofc I'll try to take some pics!
Old 07-12-15, 03:48 AM   #54
Sylphie

Warning: pics heavy!

Okay, so we introduce Orion to Artemis, and it went suprisingly well. Russian Rats are one of the species that are really fine with co-habiting even in larger groups (some breeders are having 3-4 of them in one tank), but Artemis is rather more nervous than typical Russians, so I was slightly worried.

Orion is really calm and inquisitive boy, he shows no fear or distress when I pick him up. But he's really strong and stubborn sometimes, so we still must learn how to handle him

Artemis is totally okay with him being in her cage (which we'll soon be rebuild and add a lot of more space). They are often in the same hide watching if there maybe we'll be mices, but usually each finds his own space. Ofc she's a little devil as always and trying to grab my hands... HANDS ARE MICES TOO STUPID HUMAN, GIVE IT TO ME.

And here we go with pics, not the best but they are really active!

Old 07-12-15, 03:51 AM   #55
Sylphie

And yah, it's me, haha!

And here video of Orion shedding, we'll go to the pet store in next week and probe him... fingers crossed for a boy! (but female will be cool too).

https://youtu.be/14tDWwldM2Y
Old 07-13-15, 01:29 AM   #56
toddnbecka

Very nice, the pics where you're holding them show off her yellow markings very well. Orion looks just a bit larger in the head, or is that just the camera perpective? They both look similar in size to our sub-adult DRMB's. the largest of them are approaching 2 meters now. Should be breeding size next year, they're fed 2 large hopper or weaned mice each week. Although they could take larger adult mice they seem to prefer the smaller ones. The Everglades rat will take as 2-3 mice that size every 4-5 days, I'm starting to call her the skinny orange pig.
Fingers crossed Orion is a male, they look like great breeding stock.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 07-13-15, 02:13 AM   #57
Sylphie

toddnbecka, yeah, Orion is half year younger, but already bigger than Artemis. They are rather the same length, but he's bulkier and has a bigger head. He easily ate 2 adult mices yesterday (I'm feeding them every 2 weeks), while Artemis is still having more "problems" with eating them (smaller head, so she must contrive).

And yeah, I would love to breed them <3 But you know, if Orion is a female, then I'll only find a melanistic male, and then I'll get melanistic babies from one pairing and normal het. melanistic from the other one. Either way it will be cool!
Old 07-13-15, 01:50 PM   #58
prairiepanda

Wow, the natural lighting really brings out the yellow on Artemis! They're both so gorgeous. Nice to see they get along well. When will you be able to get Orion sexed?
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 07-13-15, 02:01 PM   #59
Sylphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiepanda View Post
Wow, the natural lighting really brings out the yellow on Artemis! They're both so gorgeous. Nice to see they get along well. When will you be able to get Orion sexed?
Both her parents were a nice bright yellow too, so I'm curious if she'll manage to get even more contrast. And I think that we'll know his sex around the end of this week if everything will be allright

And I must tell you, that after shedding there are still visible white bands on Orion... and now I know that I'll find an anerythistic one for sure! I'll try to take a good pic soon.
Old 07-13-15, 06:29 PM   #60
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Very nice Sylphie. It's great that you can cohabitate them. You might just end up with a few more.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
elaphe schrencki, russian rat snake