border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-12, 01:29 AM   #31
CMRetics
Banned

Re: World’s largest Snake: Finding & Caring for a Giant Reticulated Python (Bronx Zoo

Every large "24+ snake" measured has been beyond badly measured. I've seen pictures of samantha, fragrant flower, medusa, fluffy, none of them are likely in all reality past 22' long. Is 19-20 foot common for some big girls? Sure thing, but even that extra 2 foot is a huge noticeable difference, to add 2 more, or 4 more feet onto that, you'd have to be blind to mistake it.
Old 12-12-12, 06:31 AM   #32
lemon

Re: World’s largest Snake: Finding & Caring for a Giant Reticulated Python (Bronx Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRetics View Post
Every large "24+ snake" measured has been beyond badly measured. I've seen pictures of samantha, fragrant flower, medusa, fluffy, none of them are likely in all reality past 22' long. Is 19-20 foot common for some big girls? Sure thing, but even that extra 2 foot is a huge noticeable difference, to add 2 more, or 4 more feet onto that, you'd have to be blind to mistake it.
Fluffy was measured on tv and it was very still and it looked a very good measurement and your right she only came up at 20 foot 1inch. Fragant flower has been measured several times by reporters and they all get her over 22 foot. Their was some footage of her being measured at 22 foot 9 inches. I have a friend who owns a 21 foot 8 inch retic and Fragant flower definitley looks longer than her.

You are right in the fact that less than 1% of retics reach over 20 foot and to find the extra 1-2 foot is even less and after years of searhing can only find a handful of retics genuinley over this size. For a snake to be over 25 foot it really would be the only one of it's kind I would imagine just like the tallest guy in the world being 8 foot 3 inches.

In all the pictures of Samantha I have seen, both from friends and on the web plus the footage of her being measured in 1999 she was definitley not over 26foot. I doubt she was over 23 foot BUT this shouldn't take away what a magnificant and extremley large snake she was. With all these false measurements flying around she doesnt sem that impressive when shes just short of 23 foot but in reality I'm not sure I'll see a bigger snake in my lifetime and I'm quite young lol.
Old 12-13-12, 03:15 PM   #33
CMRetics
Banned

I don't doubt that 21-22' foot snakes exist are they extremely rare yes. Is fragrant possibly over 22'? Maybe, I'd be willing to put her more in the 21' range in all reality, but I haven't spent as much time looking at her as fluffy/medusa ETC.
Old 12-15-12, 02:27 PM   #34
lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
Hey Neil, think you could rip that video and email it to me? There's a firefox plug in that allows you to do that. I would like to watch it but it looks like you have to be in the UK to watch it.
Hi,

Try this.

Hopefully it'll work

Big Snake - YouTube
Old 12-16-12, 12:38 AM   #35
CMRetics
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
Hi,

Try this.

Hopefully it'll work

Big Snake - YouTube
Won't let me watch.. hmm
Login to remove ads
Old 12-16-12, 04:19 AM   #36
lemon

Quote:
Won't let me watch.. hmm
I also have footage of Brady Barr measuring a 22 foot 9 inch retic but I doubt that'll work neither then unfortunately.
Old 12-16-12, 11:56 AM   #37
millertime89
Forum Moderator

The vid of Dr. Barr is available in the US if it was for his tv show.
Old 12-16-12, 11:57 AM   #38
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Won't let me watch.. hmm
Nor I, lemon could you rip the file and.just email it to me?
Old 12-17-12, 12:23 AM   #39
CMRetics
Banned

Directions to view on firefox:
Options > options > advanced > settings > use a proxy.
146.255.9.124 3128

That's the UK proxy I used last night. It works, and frankly the video showed snakes that were probably 20'-21' certainly Samantha was only around 21... The last retic they measured at 23.5 foot was stretched and mutilated and hardly counted for anything. Pretty awful video/disgusting IMO
Old 12-17-12, 11:19 AM   #40
lemon

Quote:
Directions to view on firefox:
Options > options > advanced > settings > use a proxy.
146.255.9.124 3128

That's the UK proxy I used last night. It works, and frankly the video showed snakes that were probably 20'-21' certainly Samantha was only around 21... The last retic they measured at 23.5 foot was stretched and mutilated and hardly counted for anything. Pretty awful video/disgusting IMO
I agree, though my estimation of Samantha was around 22 foot and not 21 foot.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-17-12, 02:57 PM   #41
CMRetics
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
I agree, though my estimation of Samantha was around 22 foot and not 21 foot.
Her head seemed mighty small for a 22 foot snake. While I have yet to see a 22' snake in person, I have seen a few 20' snakes, and have an 18' snake myself. I would imagine even that extra foot to have a substantially larger head. It's pretty amazing how much bigger they get even at 1 foot.
Old 12-18-12, 07:28 AM   #42
lemon

Quote:
Her head seemed mighty small for a 22 foot snake. While I have yet to see a 22' snake in person, I have seen a few 20' snakes, and have an 18' snake myself. I would imagine even that extra foot to have a substantially larger head. It's pretty amazing how much bigger they get even at 1 foot.
Her head looked pretty big to me,

I have a 16 footer and a 19 footer. The 16 footer has a wider head and the 19 footer has a longer head.

The biggest retic head I've heard of is 7.5 inches. I know a near 22 foot snake with a 6.5 inch head and my 19 footer has a 6 inch head and my 16 footer a 5 inch head. Theres only 1.5 inch difference between my 16 footer and a 22 footer. I also know of a 19 foot 10 inch snake that has a head bigger than a 20 foot 6 inch snake(both owned by the same guy).
Old 12-18-12, 10:28 AM   #43
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Hi All,

A number of researchers have correlated head length and perhaps width to body length in several crocodilians, but not, as far as I know, in pythons. Best, Frank
Old 12-18-12, 09:08 PM   #44
CMRetics
Banned

I've noticed it in many retics I've visited, maybe a coincidence, but samantha certainly was nowhere near 26 foot, or 23 for that matter, nor was the one at the end of that video =/
Closed Thread

Tags
giant snakes, reticulated python, world’s largest snake