border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-12, 06:08 PM   #31
Ivalynfyre

Re: Want others opinions...

GarterPython, the original poster said she was most interested in boas and balls.. that's why no one suggested corns. They're great starters though, pretty easy care-wise.
0.1 Boa constrictor - Hikari
Old 05-22-12, 06:18 PM   #32
GarterPython
Young and Wise

I know but usually people give other ideas. I don't really know what they like or if they for sure want one of those two. They said they were considering it if I remember correctly.
Old 05-22-12, 07:57 PM   #33
Edmond Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryleewolf View Post
I have always wanted to have a snake since I was a little girl. (like 5) But I am trying to deside on what one a ball python or a boa constrictor. I love both. I am leaning a little to the python. I am not planing on getting it now. I have Been looking up both but I would like to know a little more from people who have them. Please and Thank you!
It will depends on how much homework that yo have done with both snakes. Once a while there will be a topic" Help! my ball won't eat", Sometimes ball will drive new snakekeepers nut. On the other hand ball has lot of fun if you are into breeding project because there are so many combinations that you can create. Boa is a trouble snake, if you like how they look but don't like the size, there are many dwarf boas, they have the mean look but don't have that huge size, normally they are good feeders and most of them is easy to convert them to take F/T. I have both and I really enjoy my pair of dwarf boa.

Edmond
Old 05-22-12, 07:57 PM   #34
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

I have a rtb and 16 royals... lol what's that tell ya.

Seriously though, my rtb is awesomee. Very active when I have him out curious and not usually always hiding. My royals are all always hid.... except at night of course.

So depending if you want active and lazy that's up to you..

I will say rtb or a boa for that matter, some stay small some do get rather large. But they are better feeders. Some royals will refuse food, refuse f/t, and I notice some royals shed bad too... could just be a coincidence but ya never know. Plus you can get some amazing looking boas for cheaper.

Then again royals have cool Colors too.... lol.

Down side for a boa is they will need bigger room and bigger food eventually...

Just my. 02.
Old 05-23-12, 06:11 AM   #35
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

hello and welcome

have you considered a carpet python ?

they come in lots of different,colours,patterns and they're always out on display

easy to keep and a great looking snake

cheers shaun
Old 05-23-12, 08:40 AM   #36
hellosugaree

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunyboy View Post
hello and welcome

have you considered a carpet python ?

they come in lots of different,colours,patterns and they're always out on display

easy to keep and a great looking snake

cheers shaun
Shhhh... don't give away all the secrets right away to the newbies
Old 05-23-12, 09:18 AM   #37
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarterPython View Post
I know but usually people give other ideas. I don't really know what they like or if they for sure want one of those two. They said they were considering it if I remember correctly.
I suggest a corn snake

Hands down the best starter snake there is. Nothing beats it.
Old 05-23-12, 09:34 AM   #38
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

Corns are great starter snakes. I personally don't think ball pythons make good first snakes...they are just too particular. Many are very picky feeders, they don't tolerate lapses in heat and humidity well (and a beginner will almost definitely make a few), and they are very shy. They are usually docile and they are great snakes. My first snake was a ball python, and the only trouble I've had with him was when my apartment was very dry. He was a VERY picky eater for the first two years that I owned him though.

Boas are much more tolerant of humidity issues, they are usually ravenous feeders and they are also usually docile. The only downside of boas is that they get BIG. You might not think a 6-8 foot long snake is that big, but red-tails are heavy-bodied, so they are massive when full-grown.

Another good beginner snake the OP might want to look into is the rosy boa. Rosy boas come in several really nice morphs and localities, are usually affordable ($60-250 depending on morph) and are very hardy little snakes. They do well with moderate humidity, but tolerate lapses well as they are from semi-arid and arid climates, and they are usually easy to feed and house. They stay small (2-3 feet) and are generally quite docile, yet active and curious. I personally think they are an excellent starter boid.
Old 05-23-12, 09:35 AM   #39
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarterPython View Post
I'm suprised no one said a corn snake yet. If you are looking for an outgoing snake that is more fun to hold and does not get as big as some snakes then a corn snake is perfect. They can be a bit nippy at first but after a while they start to calm down a bit. Mine has never tried to bite me but alot of others have said that there corns are a little bit nippy when a baby. It would really help you replied back and told us a little more information so we can help you out a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
I suggest a corn snake

Hands down the best starter snake there is. Nothing beats it.
I'm with you guys. A Corn is the best starter snake there is.
Old 05-23-12, 09:42 AM   #40
StudentoReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
I personally don't think ball pythons make good first snakes...they are just too particular. Many are very picky feeders, they don't tolerate lapses in heat and humidity well (and a beginner will almost definitely make a few), and they are very shy.
I kinda used to feel the same way, but now I think a large part of the problem is that new keepers get their baby ball python from the pet store, and are told by the store to set it up in a 10-gal tank with a open-mesh screen-top, too much heat and no thermometer or thermostat, and that it HAS to eat f/t. This could probably be split into a new discussion, but in general, glass tanks were not designed for housing reptiles, especially baby ball pythons (the same could be said for baby monitors, and tortoises as well).

If set up correctly from the get-go, ball pythons do great. It is their typically lazy, secretive demeanor that is unappealing to some.
Old 05-26-12, 03:17 PM   #41
stormydawn2012

Smile Re: Want others opinions...

It all depends on which one you want really, i myself prefer the small very hyper snakes such as my ribbon snake.
But my brother has had his ball python and she is a beautiful snake and is very well behaved.
Even kids can hold and pet her.
And my aunt owned a boa, had it in a HUGE thick aquarium with locks and latches holding the lid down and one night it got out and ate her neighbors dog :/
Boas just get to big they are good pets but their size can cause issues.
But as everyone said, it comes down t whichever one you truly decide you want in the end
Old 06-01-12, 01:10 PM   #42
Ryleewolf

Thanks eveyone. The Ball python was really the only python I knew about. I have been looking more into pythons and i do like the carpet python too I don't want a corn snake. I think when I do get a snake it will be a python what kind still don't know but what evryone is telling me is very helpful...also I am a Girl...lol
Old 06-05-12, 12:59 PM   #43
hellosugaree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryleewolf View Post
Thanks eveyone. The Ball python was really the only python I knew about. I have been looking more into pythons and i do like the carpet python too I don't want a corn snake. I think when I do get a snake it will be a python what kind still don't know but what evryone is telling me is very helpful...also I am a Girl...lol
Good choice. Everyone here will agree that pythons are way better than boas any day
Old 06-05-12, 09:59 PM   #44
Wama

Welcome and..........MORELIA
Old 06-05-12, 11:33 PM   #45
Morgan says

Hey Ryleewolf,

My opinion on it would to look into the royal pythons. Last year around this time was when I bought my first one. He has been amazing for me! Boa's turned me away simply because of the size issue, I knew there was no way I was going to be able to accommodate for them at all. Getting all the information about how to set it up is key though. I made sure I bought the cage and everything before bringing him home with me.
I also have fun with him to, when feeding time comes I will take him with me to the bank really quick, grab some lunch for myself, then go to the pet store and eat my food while he is swallowing his. I have taken him out to wal mart before and let people interact with him. (later at night so there was not tooo many people.) Granted I do not do these things all the time with him. Maybe once every other month to three months, just so he wont get stressed out.
I did find out the hard way that he was a picky eater. I had read they could be but thought little to nothing about it because when I first got him he ate like a champ. With help from everyone on here along with my friend who has been into snakes for 20 plus years they helped me get him eating again when he was ready. But dont let that discourage you.
This has just been my personal experiences with being a new snake owner and what I have gone through the past year.......
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, boa constrictor