Closed Thread

Old 01-02-12, 07:43 AM   #31
CDN_Blood
Custos serpentium

Send a message via Yahoo to CDN_Blood
Re: Candoia bibroni australis

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter769 View Post
Blood, I just stumbled across the candoia tasmai tasmai today myself. Really bummed to hear they are tough to cross over to rodents and to breed.
The ground boa counterparts aren't nearly as difficult to get eating or to breed. They're a hearty, angry snake which can take much larger food than the tree boas, which makes them easy to keep. They are not, however, pleasant animals to work with and that's why you don't see them in any numbers in private collections.

I looked after a Candoia carinata while a buddy went over seas for a year and it was not something I'd do again. Angry, unpredictable and problematic, it was probably the worst herp experience I've had. Those things just aren't happy being captive, but the are easy to care for. The problem in breeding the ground boas is finding homes for them - people tend to steer clear of them.
Old 01-02-12, 11:49 AM   #32
Strutter769
Boa Boy Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Blood View Post
The ground boa counterparts aren't nearly as difficult to get eating or to breed. They're a hearty, angry snake which can take much larger food than the tree boas, which makes them easy to keep. They are not, however, pleasant animals to work with and that's why you don't see them in any numbers in private collections.

I looked after a Candoia carinata while a buddy went over seas for a year and it was not something I'd do again. Angry, unpredictable and problematic, it was probably the worst herp experience I've had. Those things just aren't happy being captive, but the are easy to care for. The problem in breeding the ground boas is finding homes for them - people tend to steer clear of them.
Really? What do you know about the Madagascan Ground Boa? I have researched them quite a lot, and although still rare in the hobby, they are said to be very gentle giants. Do you know of that being accurate?
"The question is do we allow the government to take our property rights away from us based on unfounded manipulations from a special interest group?" ~ Erika N. Chen-Walsh, President, U.S. Help Alliance
Old 01-02-12, 11:59 AM   #33
CDN_Blood
Custos serpentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter769 View Post
Really? What do you know about the Madagascan Ground Boa? I have researched them quite a lot, and although still rare in the hobby, they are said to be very gentle giants. Do you know of that being accurate?
That's a totally different ball game - night and day

It's *Candoia* ground boas that are...unhappy snakes, lol.

I should add that although I base my opinion on these things upon my own experience, I do know a local who really got heavily into these, but the fascination left quickly and she decided very suddenly that they 'weren't the snake for her'. The novelty of such a challenge wore-off quite quickly.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think these little guys are really cool, but I know enough about them that I wouldn't take one-in unless I was it's last resort. There's just something about knowing my charges are unhappy that I can't stand, so I'd quite likely only take it until I could find someone else who was specifically looking for the challenge.

Last edited by CDN_Blood; 01-02-12 at 12:07 PM..
Old 01-02-12, 12:02 PM   #34
Strutter769
Boa Boy Roy

Gotcha! Whew, there's a relief! Lol
"The question is do we allow the government to take our property rights away from us based on unfounded manipulations from a special interest group?" ~ Erika N. Chen-Walsh, President, U.S. Help Alliance
Old 02-14-12, 08:25 AM   #35
CDN_Blood
Custos serpentium

Gracie was playing in her water and looked so wet and shiny after that I figured I'd snap a couple of shots to share. Enjoy

Login to remove ads
Old 02-14-12, 08:28 AM   #36
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

Her head shape is sooooo awesome! What a unique snake! How big will she get?
Old 02-14-12, 08:34 AM   #37
CDN_Blood
Custos serpentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessia55 View Post
Her head shape is sooooo awesome! What a unique snake! How big will she get?
Yeah, she's got a shovel head and she knows how to use it for digging, that's for sure, lol.

She's already maxed-out for size. She's a pinch over 4 feet and that's big for what she is, but then again she is a mature snake and only sheds once a year - about every 8-9 months. Growth is negligible at her age and you can't notice it at all. I don't think she's even added a full inch in the past 3 years, but she does eat like there's no tomorrow, lol.
Old 02-14-12, 09:41 AM   #38
Trent
Snake Ninja

Nice looking snake!

A few critters...
Old 02-15-12, 12:43 AM   #39
Strutter769
Boa Boy Roy

She's really super-cool Todd. Like Alessia said, the head shape is just really sleek, Verizon unique. May be a silly question, but does her color change at all? Either with age or time of day/night?
Old 02-16-12, 09:18 PM   #40
jaleely
Member of the family

Love her. I did look up the species when i saw this post a while ago. She is a great, healthy looking, beautiful snake! Nice shape and awesome cool color changing!
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-16-12, 09:41 PM   #41
CDN_Blood
Custos serpentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleely View Post
Love her. I did look up the species when i saw this post a while ago. She is a great, healthy looking, beautiful snake! Nice shape and awesome cool color changing!
Well thanks, I sure enjoy her! She's always such a pleasure - so chill and steady and with so many different outfits, she's never boring
Closed Thread

Tags
candoia bibroni australis, ottawa, solomon island tree boa