sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-11, 05:23 PM   #31
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Re: Fish!

The usual thing with this forum is that if you think something is not quite right you ask questions and gently guide the person towardthe right way, having read all your posts you do seem to have habit of jumping in with opinion very quickly and feel the need to back up everything you say with book references or friends opinions. I comes across as slightly aggressive and as if you expect peopleto take your single opinion as irrefutable fact.

From reading the posts where you are asking questions i DONT believe that this is your intention however typing text and reading it back with none of the non verbal communication that is picked up face to face can often cause this to happen.

Assuming that you arent intending to irritate other members can i humbly suggest that you read through what you have typed before posting, with the thought that others may not read it in the wayit is intended.
Old 04-15-11, 05:31 PM   #32
mistersprinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
The usual thing with this forum is that if you think something is not quite right you ask questions and gently guide the person towardthe right way, having read all your posts you do seem to have habit of jumping in with opinion very quickly and feel the need to back up everything you say with book references or friends opinions. I comes across as slightly aggressive and as if you expect peopleto take your single opinion as irrefutable fact.
I understand what you're saying. I will try to say things with more consideration to that effect. As far as irrefutable fact though, and book references.. I don't recall ever having used them outside this thread, and all of my facts here are irrefutable. I know way more about freshwater fish than reptiles.

Last edited by infernalis; 04-15-11 at 06:41 PM..
Old 04-15-11, 05:48 PM   #33
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
You know you can't find me a single example outside this thread where I'm snippity to anybody.
Your right! I was just messing with you trying to light the mood. The whole reason i posted at the end of each post. Guess i have a wrap sense of humor. Sorry if i offend you. Btw you have some really nice looking fish.

Now this thread got me craving fish sticks. Anyone got some tarter sauce? Just kidding. (dam this wrap sense of humor)
Old 04-15-11, 05:50 PM   #34
Reptile_Reptile
You can call me JR

you like fish sticks?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. -John Lennon
Old 04-15-11, 05:57 PM   #35
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile_Reptile View Post
you like fish sticks?
OMG i love them. Fish sticks and french fries the poor mans version of Fish and Chips. Well not the actual fish sticks, but the battered fish fillets. The frozen one you just pop in the oven.

Last edited by marvelfreak; 04-15-11 at 06:10 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 04-15-11, 05:59 PM   #36
Reptile_Reptile
You can call me JR

So you're a gay fish?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. -John Lennon
Old 04-15-11, 06:12 PM   #37
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile_Reptile View Post
So you're a gay fish?
No! I am having a blond moment, because i don't get it.
Old 04-15-11, 06:46 PM   #38
infernalis

nothing wrong with happy fish...

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 04-15-11, 06:54 PM   #39
infernalis

I sure hope we have the name calling out of the way and have moved on now....

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 04-15-11, 07:18 PM   #40
Jay
Bcc fanatic

Didn't know it was so technical keeping fish.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayyboy16?feature=mhee

Last edited by infernalis; 04-15-11 at 07:51 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 04-15-11, 07:55 PM   #41
infernalis

Yes keeping fish can be frustrating to learn properly.

I never wanted fish, had an Oscar "dropped in my lap" and had to learn only to lose her to Hole in the head disease.

Just as we strive to meet the temperature and humidity requirements of our snakes, Temperatures, PH, and many other factors have to be monitored and maintained with fish.

Any bozo can keep a goldfish in a bowl, after all they are just pretty carp and could live in a sewer.

move on to more advanced fish and anyone who has never done it before could easily be discouraged to the point of giving up...

that's why there is always an abundance of free fish tanks on Craig's list...

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 04-15-11, 08:21 PM   #42
HDreptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
that's why there is always an abundance of free fish tanks on Craig's list...
I love free fish tanks on that site.

I keep fish as well. It is not rocket science like that guy made it out to be. I have had many tanks and many fish breed for me without testing my water every other day. If there is something wrong in the tank, the fish will tell you. If that guys fish where stressed, he would know. As far as that other gentleman calling him names and saying that what he is saying is a must, that is uncalled for. IME hobbyists use many different methods in keeping fish. The key is to make the fish happy and not stressed. A lot of the fish we buy for the hobby are tank bred, and can handle a whole range of water parameters that we thought they should not be able to. It is part of getting captive bred. If that guys fish are happy and healthy, there is no need to tell him he is doing everything wrong. If something happens and he needs help, then help him out, but don't berate him for how he keeps his fish.
Old 04-15-11, 08:50 PM   #43
mistersprinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfreak View Post
No! I am having a blond moment, because i don't get it.
It's a joke. "You like Fish sticks?"

Yes

"So you're a gay fish?"

FISH'S TICKS

FISH'S DICKS

GAY FISH
Old 04-15-11, 08:53 PM   #44
mistersprinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDreptiles View Post
If that guys fish are happy and healthy, there is no need to tell him he is doing everything wrong. If something happens and he needs help, then help him out, but don't berate him for how he keeps his fish.
You're missing the point because you don't know the species being discussed. No clown loach, anywhere in the hobby, has been captive bred. They are being 'enduced' in small pockets but it is still highly experimental. You have a 100% definitely wild caught fish that lives in groups of dozens to hundreds of individuals in very warm water with tonnes of oxygen which is acidic by itself with fish that live in signifiantly cooler, alkaline water. It's not supposed to be done. That's not even considering the ones in the 20G which is so so so below the minimum tank size for even a 2" clown loach.

I haven't even gotten into the totally different diet and clown loaches like to eat more, slower vs frontosas meaning they can't get the right amount of food without stress. It's so wrong. Fish shouldn't fight over food if you're keeping the right mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfreak View Post
Btw you have some really nice looking fish.
Thanks that's nice of you
Old 04-15-11, 08:59 PM   #45
HDreptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
You're missing the point because you don't know the species being discussed. No clown loach, anywhere in the hobby, has been captive bred. They are being 'enduced' in small pockets but it is still highly experimental. You have a 100% definitely wild caught fish that lives in groups of dozens to hundreds of individuals in very warm water with tonnes of oxygen which is acidic by itself with fish that live in signifiantly cooler, alkaline water. It's not supposed to be done. That's not even considering the ones in the 20G which is so so so below the minimum tank size for even a 2" clown loach.

I haven't even gotten into the totally different diet and clown loaches like to eat more, slower vs frontosas meaning they can't get the right amount of food without stress. It's so wrong. Fish shouldn't fight over food if you're keeping the right mix.
Ok, I didn't know that. But I still say, if he wants to do it his way, you should let him without trying to beat some other way into his head. If he winds up having problems and asks for help, then give it to him, but don't ram it down his throat right off the bat. That is all I am saying.
Closed Thread