border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > Personal Websites!!!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-18, 11:05 PM   #31
onlysnake

Re: Working on a website - looking for input

I like what you are trying to do.
I think it needs little work though, let's think what could be improved.
The background is nice, but it's a little bit hard to read the text as it blends in with the background. Maybe you could try to give the container some background?
If it was me, I would probably give the header some background color too since it kinda splits the page into logical sections.

I'll provide an example (far from perfect, but hopefully may give you some inspiration? )
Old 12-06-18, 06:05 PM   #32
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwerkBonnet View Post
"Love bites" is the weirdest word combination I have ever heard to date. I can certainly understand the meaning, and you don't have to change it; it's just my opinion.
Ha! Although I can't exactly remember where I picked up that phrase, it was definitely from a snake keeper. I've heard it thrown around by people from time to time.
Old 12-06-18, 06:06 PM   #33
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysnake View Post
I like what you are trying to do.
I think it needs little work though, let's think what could be improved.
The background is nice, but it's a little bit hard to read the text as it blends in with the background. Maybe you could try to give the container some background?
If it was me, I would probably give the header some background color too since it kinda splits the page into logical sections.

I'll provide an example (far from perfect, but hopefully may give you some inspiration? )
Thank you for the input! I see what you mean. I will look into how to do that. As I've stated, I'm new to the whole concept of designing a website. It's definitely something I will look into though.
Old 04-25-19, 01:54 PM   #34
Bandit

It's been a while since I've posted about this, but I figured I'd share some future plans for the website for those of you who have kept up with it. The focus has sort of shifted towards the blog rather than the photos. This is mainly because I am only allowed so many photos on the site before I have to start paying for it.

So, I am leaning more and more towards paying for an actual web hosting service so that I have a lot more room to do what I want. Particularly, I should have more control over the design and will be allowed to post unlimited photos with no size limits. Here are some things that I will probably do once that happens:

1) Keep the blog, but incorporate a better format for viewing and include more photos with each post. I'll probably incorporate some kind of Q&A section in here as well.

2) A more expansive photo gallery. My goal is to have photos of as many species as I can. I'll probably have one page for Louisiana, and a separate page for reptiles and amphibians that I've seen in other states. I'm thinking of adding videos to this.

3) A page for snake identification. I'd like to make this a quick reference for people unfamiliar with snakes to rule out if the snake is venomous or not. I'd also have a link to send in photos if they don't see that particular species elsewhere on the site (like I have on the current site).

4) A page geared towards captive herps. As you all know, I keep reptiles, although not many. I originally just wanted my site to focus on wild herps, but I have been wanting to show some more love to the reptile keeper community. This page would occasionally feature my pets. I'm thinking of doing a "featured pet" section where people can send in photos/descriptions of their reptiles/amphibians for a chance to be featured on the website. I'm also thinking of writing on common pet topics. This is also a section I would probably have guest writers to speak on topics I may not be as familiar with.

5) Associated social media accounts. Not sure about this one yet, but I'm considering making an instagram account to link to the website. This would be the last thing I do. I'd like to get the website running at its best before focusing on expansion like that.

Let me know what you all think. I'm always appreciative of your ideas and feedback. I'm not planning on putting this into action just yet, but I do plan on making some moves within the next few months. Thanks!
Old 04-25-19, 02:00 PM   #35
ClockwerkBonnet

A Q&A SECTION???

What sort of questions would you put in it?
Login to remove ads
Old 04-25-19, 02:06 PM   #36
Bandit

It would be for readers to send in questions, and I'll post them along with my answers. Could be about whatever . . . favorite time of year to herp, how to find rattlesnakes, what go me interested in reptiles, etc. It would be very open ended.
Old 04-25-19, 02:15 PM   #37
ClockwerkBonnet

Oh, OK. That makes perfect sense.
Closed Thread