border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > Joke / Comedy Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-18, 02:39 PM   #31
DJC Reptiles

Re: Do you talk to your animals?

Snakes can hear by the way, a lot of people think they can't.
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Old 01-11-18, 03:04 PM   #32
Scubadiver59

No external auditory canals; however, they do pick up vibrations transmitted from their jaw bones.

There's also this article...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC Reptiles View Post
Snakes can hear by the way, a lot of people think they can't.
Old 01-11-18, 03:54 PM   #33
DJC Reptiles

Okay, well instead of giving articles from the Washington post (which knows nothing about reptiles), I will give you info from a qualified veterinarian. Full article: The Vet Report: Contrary To Popular Belief, Snakes Can Hear

"All reptiles have the ability to hear, albeit, to different degrees. Snakes, as a group, have the least developed sense of hearing, but they can hear. In addition, snakes have excellent vision, as well, and infrared heat sensing pits in their upper and lower lips." (Mader)

"Snakes lack external ears (pinna), ear canals (external auditory meatus) or external ear drums (tympanic membrane) as is seen in most other reptiles, but they have well-developed internal ears and can hear sounds from 40 to 2,000 hertz; the human voice averages 500 to 1,000 hertz, and thus, is within the range of hearing of a snake." (Mader)

I rest my case. I'm not blaming you though, lots of people think snakes can't hear, and can only "hear" vibrations. But, as Douglas Mader said, snakes have the ability to hear the human voice just fine.

Last edited by DJC Reptiles; 01-11-18 at 03:59 PM..
Old 01-11-18, 04:52 PM   #34
Scubadiver59

Range of Frequencies for the Normal Speaking Human Voice
Males: 70-200 Hz
Females: 140-400
(men have more dense and longer vocal folds)
Singing voices (especially the higher harmonics) extend the range into the kilohertz region.

So unless you're singing to your snake, it won't register the higher frequencies.

And unless you can teach your snake to fetch, sit, play dead (the Hognose is an exception), it's really moot whether or not they can hear...they're still an animal with rudimentary cognitive capabilities beyond fight or flight, eat, sleep, defecate, and have sex once in a while...kind of like humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC Reptiles View Post
Okay, well instead of giving articles from the Washington post (which knows nothing about reptiles), I will give you info from a qualified veterinarian. Full article: The Vet Report: Contrary To Popular Belief, Snakes Can Hear

"All reptiles have the ability to hear, albeit, to different degrees. Snakes, as a group, have the least developed sense of hearing, but they can hear. In addition, snakes have excellent vision, as well, and infrared heat sensing pits in their upper and lower lips." (Mader)

"Snakes lack external ears (pinna), ear canals (external auditory meatus) or external ear drums (tympanic membrane) as is seen in most other reptiles, but they have well-developed internal ears and can hear sounds from 40 to 2,000 hertz; the human voice averages 500 to 1,000 hertz, and thus, is within the range of hearing of a snake." (Mader)

I rest my case. I'm not blaming you though, lots of people think snakes can't hear, and can only "hear" vibrations. But, as Douglas Mader said, snakes have the ability to hear the human voice just fine.
Old 01-11-18, 06:11 PM   #35
DJC Reptiles

Still well within the range of snakes hearing. But your right, it's not like they can comprehend anything your telling them, I just thought some people would like to know.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-23-18, 12:50 PM   #36
IDvsEGO

I never paid attention until my wife was helping me with my evening duties and I felt a little self conscious when I realized I was. She does too so it was a fleeting feeling but I guess I just didn't realize I did it. But I talk to myself when alone sometimes so it was just natural. My wife would probably say I am always talking to myself, it's just sometimes people are around to participate in the conversation. Probably not wrong.
Old 02-03-18, 12:35 AM   #37
MidgardSerpent

I talk to my corn snake all the time...every time I’m in the room she gives me this look like: “What’s going on? Are you going to let me out? Is there a mouse in my future?” So I say “Hi”, tell her what’s up etc. It just seems like the natural thing to do. :)
Old 02-09-18, 12:17 PM   #38
Conniecornsnake

Always but my friend and family all think it is a bit weird
Closed Thread