border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-07, 11:35 PM   #31
C3ntury

Re: Freshwater Stingrays

I am fully aware of piranha husbandry and the misinformation attached to their status. I am also fully aware that the majority of piranha species are skittish by nature and would rather not attack anything outright. Domestic counterparts often do not assume such predatory demeanors such as in the wild; however, there are many variables as to why that I won't even bother covering. If this indeed is unreasonable to accomplish, do inform the many aquariums and zoological societies that have already accomplished this feet in aquaria. My statement was not to emphasize that Potamotrygon spp. can always be housed with piranha, but rather that it is possible, has been done, and more-so that there are numerous fish spp. that can co-habitate with Potamotrygon spp. This is fact. In conclusion, I was merely trying to provide corrective information to the thread, but apparently you know all there is *rolls eyes.* By the way, even for a smaller sp. of Potamotrygon, your aquarium size is still not adequate for reliable long-term rearing/breeding. Knowing all that you do, you should have realized this *double eye roll.* Enjoy your night and not to worry, I won't bother you by responding to your thread any longer
Old 11-14-07, 12:32 AM   #32
The Snake Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to The Snake Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3ntury View Post
I am fully aware of piranha husbandry and the misinformation attached to their status. I am also fully aware that the majority of piranha species are skittish by nature and would rather not attack anything outright. Domestic counterparts often do not assume such predatory demeanors such as in the wild; however, there are many variables as to why that I won't even bother covering. If this indeed is unreasonable to accomplish, do inform the many aquariums and zoological societies that have already accomplished this feet in aquaria. My statement was not to emphasize that Potamotrygon spp. can always be housed with piranha, but rather that it is possible, has been done, and more-so that there are numerous fish spp. that can co-habitate with Potamotrygon spp. This is fact. In conclusion, I was merely trying to provide corrective information to the thread, but apparently you know all there is *rolls eyes.* By the way, even for a smaller sp. of Potamotrygon, your aquarium size is still not adequate for reliable long-term rearing/breeding. Knowing all that you do, you should have realized this *double eye roll.* Enjoy your night and not to worry, I won't bother you by responding to your thread any longer
Well being as fully aware of those facts, you also know that some of the species of which have pointed a vague and general reference towards are also not that readily available to the general public.

And the big difference between the home aquarium and zoological aquriums is ohhhh about 1,000 gallons give or take.....as I already stated; possible it may be but not in a "normal" household, nor with some of the more commonly available piranha species.

I don't know everything, but I do know that the stingrays are hard enough to keep the way it is due to water quality and feeding practices...kept with too aggressive of a species they will eventually starve to death due to the other fish jumping in feeding before them.

All that said....ehhhh whatever man, you want throw some $50+ stingrays in with some $3.00 Piranha....have it! Should make for an interesting show....give me call when you've actually done it and had running for a good few years succesfully.....otherwise don't pretend to preach to me about how they should or shouldn't be kept because you saw it in a zoo.

~B~
Old 12-20-07, 01:33 AM   #33
undr

Holy wayyyyyyy fn cool that is awesome... maybe when i get my larger tank, i can get one :0)
Old 12-23-07, 04:15 AM   #34
jejton

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsnake View Post
blackworms are a type of aquatic insect larvae.

Beautiful stingrays by the way! Are you going to try to breed them/do you have both genders? Just interested, because breeding in captivity is pretty unusual for stingrays.
Actually thats bloodworms ( at least here in the US), which are midge larvae. Blackworms are annelids ( like earthworms and tubifex worms). They are supposed to be cleaner than tubifex because they are raised in trout ponds ( as opposed to collected in sewage outlets ), nutritious and lots of fish and amphibians love them. They are supposed to be relatively easy to culture according to some sites ( like carolina biological ). You need to keep them in a container of decholorinated water, maybe an inch or two over them, and a piece of brown paper towel under them. The paper is for bacterial growth which the worms eat. You can also drop in a fish pellet once in a while. The key is keeping them cool in the fridge and changing the water every couple of days ( with dechlorinated water ).
Old 12-23-07, 08:36 AM   #35
drec91

wow, those are very cool. I think it is common sense not to keep piranha with rays. Seems pretty obvious to me.
PeAcE
Login to remove ads
Old 12-23-07, 09:40 PM   #36
C3ntury

*Sigh* I find it somewhat tiresome how the basis' of my previous posts have been misinterpreted/misunderstood. First off, the majority of hobbyists do not have the proper confines to house a school of piranha let alone stingrays of any specie. Secondly, my statement was not in reference to a recommendation of housing piranha and stingray together, but rather that there are many species of fish that can be housed with stingrays and even though piranhas are not recommended to hobbyists, it can be done. "Can be done" is a general statement not necessarily geared towards hobbyists alone, unlike the butchering it received. You completely missed the entire point or at least chose to. You are correct that I have not mixed the two species yet as I have not had a need to; however, it has been done successfully. As for general husbandry, as I have stated, stability is more important than exact parameters and that is coming from personal experience in breeding P. leopoldi, motoro, and schroederi.
Closed Thread