Re: 6-8 foot python?

Boa boa boa boa... Can you tell I'm biased
Old 09-18-12, 04:31 AM   #32
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBaman View Post
Well, the nippy part depends...would you want a baby carpet? Cause they can be super nippy until handled a lot, but once they chill out are amazing. Boas aren't very nippy at all, even as babies (at least in my experience). Do you want a hardier snake, or one that has super high humidity requirements?
Most boas do not have super high humidity requirements but its almost a non concern with carpets. The nippy carpet baby thing isn't all that bad to deal with but it is a reality. After that carpets are the better choice in my opinion and I do have both. Carpets are busier by nature and will look to grab stuff around you to climb on including other people. Some boas do this too. One thing a boa will do a carpet will not is sit still on you. Everyone I have over love our carpets and Mick my male is the crowd favorite.
Have a peek at this video. This is typical baby carpet behavior and handling. If you can do this you are good to go!

Last edited by Terranaut; 09-18-12 at 04:48 AM..
Old 09-18-12, 10:47 AM   #33
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesc84 View Post
I'd say almost any Carpet Python would do. White Lipped Pythons are also cool, I've been considering getting one.
I would just like to point out White Lipped Pythons are far from a beginner snake. They should never be suggested as one. I am sure you mean know harm, but the last thing you would want is to tell a newbie to snakes to start with something that has mood swings like Blood pythons and the speed of a Scrub pythons. White Lipped are better suited for some one with at a couple years experience.
Old 09-18-12, 04:18 PM   #34
Splashstorm

I might get a Central American boa. They seem calmer and better for the first time owner. Also it looks like Boas are thicker than carpet pythons (or is that just me?)
Old 09-18-12, 04:32 PM   #35
rmfsnakes32

Boas are very much thicker than carpets just keep in mind if you get a female boa she will exceed your eight foot limit. Like most snake species males generaly stay much smaller than females
Login to remove ads
Old 09-18-12, 04:36 PM   #36
bigsnakegirl785

If he wants a small boa, he could always get a dwarf species of boa as well. Hogg Islands stay around 5-6 ft for females I believe, and there are others.
Old 09-18-12, 04:40 PM   #37
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Boas being thicker are also considerably stronger and need a bit more respect when handling. Another reason I voted carpet. But if you get it small by the time its big you'll be well aware of how to handle it properly. You may also not care if the snake breaks eight feet by the time it hits it. Just out of being used to it from having it the entire time.
Old 09-18-12, 05:19 PM   #38
Jason_Hood

Womas get 4-5ft and are very hardy.

Jason
Old 09-18-12, 07:59 PM   #39
Philmul

i thought royals only get to a max of 6 ft but normally 4.5 to 5.5. but thats just what i have heard as mine is only 2.5 ft
Old 09-18-12, 08:19 PM   #40
Philmul

does anyone have pics of an adult royal python only mine is only one and i not seen one full size. I no they can grow to about 5 ft but i not seen the thickness.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-18-12, 08:21 PM   #41
rmfsnakes32

Im partial to boas as well I have had such wonderful experiance my very 1st snake I bought was cinnamon and shes a boa I got when she was about 5 months old and have had her going on 2 years all my boas are calm and love to sit on my shoulders while I watch tv or do dishes! Thats my opinion I am sure whatever decision you come to will be a good choice for you!
Old 09-18-12, 09:36 PM   #42
DavethePython
Banned

I will upload some pictures of my adult female when I find my camera and cards , but to give you an idea ,mine is a little over 4 feet and about twice as thick as a babies leg .
Old 09-19-12, 05:53 PM   #43
Philmul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashstorm View Post
Why? Are Royal pythons not usually eight feet?
No. Not a chance a royal can be that big max of 5 ish
Old 09-21-12, 11:50 AM   #44
Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashstorm View Post
Are there any pythons that get to around 6-8 feet that is docile and overall good for a beginner? Thanks

Woma pythons can reach the 6' plus mark, and they almost always grow into calm, placid beautiful animals. They also thrive on frozen thawed rats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0220.jpg (25.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-21-12, 11:55 AM   #45
Wildside

This thread leaves me wondering what the OP is really looking for in a pet snake?
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
beginner, docile, python