Closed Thread

Old 05-07-13, 05:00 PM   #31
smy_749

Re: Hook training question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFugle View Post
haha the same could be thought about yours SMY 749. JWF=Josh W. Fugle

anyways...

i think i said this before but i do only have 3 snakes(2 corns, 1 D retic) so yes i can afford the time, and make a point to take time out of my day to feed them. so yea i completely understand where you guys are coming from owning 5+...10+... 20+... snakes.

and again yes. thats exactly how all 3 of them are. calm and care free when i enter their cage and handle them, move their stuff around w.e. then as soon as i put them in the tub they get the scent and kill strike whatever comes in next. then after i feed i have gloves that i tap them on the face with to let them know im not food and put them back in their home.

this is deffenatly not possible for everyone. this is just what i do, and thought it was helpful info for the OP.
I meant, what if they don't get the scent?
Old 05-07-13, 06:28 PM   #32
SSSSnakes

I keep between 100 to 150 snake for my educational shows. I feed all my snakes in their enclosures and they are not aggressive, accept for my ATBs which are normally aggressive any way. My Burms have very good feeding responses when they smell food, but if they do not smell food you can picked them right up.
Old 05-07-13, 06:49 PM   #33
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSSnakes View Post
I keep between 100 to 150 snake for my educational shows. I feed all my snakes in their enclosures and they are not aggressive, accept for my ATBs which are normally aggressive any way. My Burms have very good feeding responses when they smell food, but if they do not smell food you can picked them right up.
This is what I was trying to get at. You can turn a feeding response off with hook training, given there is no scent or anything, but you can't turn "on" a feeding response by using a tub and the rest of the time have it 'off'. If he smells food, and hes hungry, thats end of story for most snakes.
Old 05-07-13, 08:21 PM   #34
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSSnakes View Post

Thank you!!! This was the point I was trying to suggest! Separate enclosures for feeding=not necessary.
Old 05-08-13, 04:47 AM   #35
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Yeah I have never understood why you would handle a snake right after feeding. I have 10 snakes and can't imagine trying to mess with my adult boas and pythons even an hour after feeding. There is absolutely no reason to feed in a seperate tub ever.
Old 05-14-13, 08:44 PM   #36
Crashcrashboom

Yeahh, definitely not bothering with the separate tub for feeding anymore. I've got him on aspen now too and he's lovinggg it! I was a bit worried after some of the things I've read by people saying the aspen they bought had mites in it, so I just baked it for an hour or so at 300° before i changed his enclosure out. Thanks everyone for the good advice.
Old 05-15-13, 03:03 AM   #37
Starbuck

I'm glad he is doing well for you :-)
Aspen that you buy from a good source shouldn't have any mites in it, and any mites you do see are more likely just wood mites or other little detritovores. They wont pose any risk at all to your snake :-):-) best of luck!
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 05-15-13, 04:40 AM   #38
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
I'm glad he is doing well for you :-)
Aspen that you buy from a good source shouldn't have any mites in it, and any mites you do see are more likely just wood mites or other little detritovores. They wont pose any risk at all to your snake :-):-) best of luck!
Snake mites only come from other snakes, not from any kind of substrate.
Closed Thread

Tags
feeding, hook training, kingsnake