border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-13, 05:40 PM   #331
monitorlizard

Re: Monitor enclosure discussion thread

What are the dimensions on that War Machine?
Old 03-21-13, 04:36 PM   #332
War Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorlizard View Post
What are the dimensions on that War Machine?
Roughly 10' long, 5' wide, and 7' tall
Old 03-21-13, 06:30 PM   #333
monitorlizard

That's huge!
How are did you attack the branches?
Old 03-21-13, 08:32 PM   #334
Pirarucu

Quote:
That's huge!
Probably with a saw.
Old 03-22-13, 09:19 AM   #335
War Machine

Quote:
That's huge!
Attack or attach?

I scoped around my area for a while for people cutting down trees, asked if I could have a few braches, tossed em $5 for his effort, he cut some stuff up for me.

They're attached by lag bolts and brackets.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-23-13, 09:44 PM   #336
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
Roughly 10' long, 5' wide, and 7' tall
What species is being housed in this?
Old 03-24-13, 08:29 PM   #337
monitorlizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
Attack or attach?

I scoped around my area for a while for people cutting down trees, asked if I could have a few braches, tossed em $5 for his effort, he cut some stuff up for me.

They're attached by lag bolts and brackets.
Woops,
I meant attach...

Do you think those will last when your Black Throat is an adult?
Old 03-30-13, 09:31 PM   #338
War Machine

Quote:
Woops,
I meant attach...

Do you think those will last when your Black Throat is an adult?
The logs? Absolutely.

The enclosure, far too small for an adult. This is a "grow up" tank for him. And will be my "adult enclosure" for my V.A. Microstictus. once I have a bigger setup for the V.A.Ionidesi.
Old 05-05-13, 06:23 PM   #339
cparker

Would 1/8 plywood work for the sides of an adult Savannah monitor enclosure? I have a bunch already and would like to use it if possible. Would it be to thin for the weight of the dirt pushing on it from the sides?
Old 05-05-13, 06:40 PM   #340
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker View Post
Would 1/8 plywood work for the sides of an adult Savannah monitor enclosure? I have a bunch already and would like to use it if possible. Would it be to thin for the weight of the dirt pushing on it from the sides?
Not sure if 1/8 is thick enough for this idea but I'll say it anyways. Make a better supported / reinforced dirt box, and then another one with your 1/8 to set on top of it.

Or make a insulated cage, have thicker board, then insulation, and the 1/8th on the outside away from contact with the sav.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-05-13, 07:08 PM   #341
cparker

I was thinking of putting the 1/8th over the insulation on the outside. I'm using 3/4 plywood for the base and framing the whole thing really well. do you think the 1/8th work for the sides if it was just the 1/8th?
Old 05-06-13, 02:31 AM   #342
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker View Post
I was thinking of putting the 1/8th over the insulation on the outside. I'm using 3/4 plywood for the base and framing the whole thing really well. do you think the 1/8th work for the sides if it was just the 1/8th?

Good idea, 1/8 is way too thin for anything on the inside, except maybe the ceiling.

On the exterior you should be fine.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 05-06-13, 04:32 PM   #343
Pirarucu

I tried to respond yesterday, but my computer must have messed up. You should be fine using it for the exterior sides and top, but I would use something thicker for the bottom because of the frame pushing down on it with the weight of everything in the cage. You would probably still be fine, but just for the sake of being thorough I would personally use something thicker.
Old 05-30-13, 12:36 PM   #344
formica

amzing thread, thanks to all who have contributed

I am a new Sav owner, admitidly bought on impulse, although I was aware of their basic needs before hand, have kept quite a few reptiles over the years, always loved them, and monitors have been on my list of reptiles i'd love to have for a loooong time!

At the moment, he/she, is just a hatchling, 5 inches long and quite nervous, i've set up a small enclosure for now, because I want to be sure its feeding properly and generally in good health - will be off to the vet in a few weeks for a check up, sexing and parasite checks

Although currently in a small enclosure, i've managed to keep the humidity high, and a nice tempreture gradient and 48C (sorry i'm english, i dont know F, 130ish i think) basking spot, although it seems to like the slightly cooler areas just around it. Theres a big plastic bowl full of water, which is obligingly used as a toilet every morning currently about 6 inches of tortoise sand-soil mix in the bass of the enclosure, tapering off to an inch nearer to the heat lamp. Two large pieces of aquarium drift wood are its favorite places to sit on and sleep under.

I'm using a 75W hallogen bulb at the moment, the basking area seems ok, but i may try a spot lamp bulb if i have any issues with tempreture. Also have a 15W heatmatt under the 'cool' side of the enclosure, which comes on at night once the main basking lamp is out - personally I prefer to emulate natural heating, and keep it nice and warm at night, but not hot as it is during the day - been to africa a few times, and it can get damn cold at night, so I think this is ok.

Average temps in the enclosure are 30C in the middle, 35C around the heat lamp, 48C under the heat lamp, 25-26C on the cool side, with the soil temp about the same. Humidity in the middle is around 70-80%, 20-30% near the heat lamp, and around 90-100% underneath the drift wood where it likes to sleep most of the time.

It does like to dig, but generally just sleeps under the wood, which is warm and humid so I guess this is ok

Any advice much appriciated, this is my first monitor I already have much of the wood required for its final enclosure which is set to be 10ft x 5ft x 2 ft, with a large heated aquarium in the base for swimming and catching fish (good idea for Savs? I know they love the swim, and feel if they will catch fish, then why not...but open to more experienced advice!). Also will be provided with 3 feet of soil should it deciede that burrowing is its prefered place to sleep

I only plan on keeping it in the current enclosure (2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft) until after I've established that its healthy and behaving normally, aswell as becoming used to my presence, then its moving to a 4x2x2 enclosure ( I hve plenty of enclosures for repltiles available so moving from one to another is not an issue from that point of view)

I have one question, is the 4x2x2 going to be big enough for the next 6-7months? i am moving house in 6months time, and i would rather build the enclosure into the house, rather than deconstruct and reconstruct - that said, my sav's health is more important to me than a little extra labour, but if he's not going to grow to much longer than a foot or so i think I can wait till i move? any advice greatefull recieved
Old 05-30-13, 04:49 PM   #345
smy_749

I will let someone respond with more detail, but a large aquarium will need an amazing filter, and they are not a very 'aquatic' species so its not necessary. I would just get a large rubbermaid that you can easily replace the water which will end up being mud anyways.

Your current enclosure is too small, 2 feet is not enough.

Put him in the 4x2x2 now, don't worry about if hes eating or not. Just get a dish where he can get in and the food can't get out and you will be monitoring just fine.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread