sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-12, 01:45 PM   #286
Strutter769
Boa Boy Roy

Re: The one and ONLY python BAN thread

I can live with paying a fee, it's all greed, but if I can keep my reptiles, so be it. I hope Illinois' actions are somewhat similar.
"The question is do we allow the government to take our property rights away from us based on unfounded manipulations from a special interest group?" ~ Erika N. Chen-Walsh, President, U.S. Help Alliance
Old 03-01-12, 08:52 PM   #287
millertime89
Forum Moderator

I'm ok with a permit system. I've said it before, its a step in the right direction.

But no, that hasn't passed yet, it was just "REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON GAME AND FISHERIES, FEBRUARY 29, 2012". Its in between the second set of black lines. I didn't feel like retyping it.
Old 03-01-12, 09:21 PM   #288
Skumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
I'm ok with a permit system. I've said it before, its a step in the right direction.

But no, that hasn't passed yet, it was just "REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON GAME AND FISHERIES, FEBRUARY 29, 2012". Its in between the second set of black lines. I didn't feel like retyping it.
ah ok, im all for permits actually given how horribly ill-informed some people are resulting in snake suffering, but they'd have to be implemented correctly.
Old 03-01-12, 09:53 PM   #289
millertime89
Forum Moderator

yup, I agree. A more expensive permit and a class requirement for any burms, retics, african and indian rocks, and 'condas as well, that would keep random people from walking into a pet store and buying one without realizing what they're getting their hands into. Hopefully.
Old 03-01-12, 11:58 PM   #290
Rogue628

Send a message via Skype™ to Rogue628

I have no problem with getting a permit or license or even following mandatory guidelines required for keeping (like locks, etc). When I finally talked to someone at LARK (Louisiana ARK), I was told that I couldn't get a permit until my animals were at the 8ft requirement. I have a problem with this as this still lets anyone who thinks a baby snake is "cute" until it gets 6 or 7 ft long and they decide they can't take care of it anymore and let it loose.

The city to the west of me has a permit rule in their city ordinance for any kept non venomous snake over 3ft. The permit is free. All they want to know is that you have it (and where you and they live), if you sell it and to whom, if it dies, or escapes. You don't get a fine for an escaped animal as long as you have the permit. I hate when the government plays big brother, but this city ordinance doesn't really bother me since there's no repercussions as long as you have the free permit. I'd be fine with following it.
0.1.1 '11 Normal Royal Pythons 0.2 '11 Albino Burms 0.2 Rescue Dumeril's Boas (approx 4yrs old) 0.1 '11 Colombian Boa (BCI) 0.1 '11 Cali King 0.1.0 JCP 0.1 '12 borneo 1.0 rose hair T 1.0 cat 1.1 Kids 1.0 Boyfriend
Login to remove ads
Old 03-02-12, 12:15 AM   #291
millertime89
Forum Moderator

From what I can tell I would be ok with it as well.
Old 03-02-12, 02:12 AM   #292
Strutter769
Boa Boy Roy

Very, very bad news... But, being the rebel I am, I will most likely own 4.6 snakes in all by the end of next week. Last June, I owned 0.1. I think that says something. Not sure what, but it's GOTTA mean something.

They can pry them out of my cold, dead fingers! Ok, wrong attitude to have. Justin Meitz would've just punched me for typing that, but you get my point. Anyway, details below:

U.S. House Judiciary Committee passes exotic snake bill | Florida Independent

Time to flood the mailboxes of every congressman in the country. Yeah, you're right, unrealistic but we all have to do something to fight back!
"The question is do we allow the government to take our property rights away from us based on unfounded manipulations from a special interest group?" ~ Erika N. Chen-Walsh, President, U.S. Help Alliance
Old 03-02-12, 05:43 AM   #293
Jenn_06

permit or license are great, ill be happy to pay to keep my snakes, but look at FL there you needed permits to but people still got burms and retics with out them. so the only people that are going to get permits are the ones that fellow the law, you are sill going to have the %$^$@^ people that will mess it up for everyone and just like FL they will just ban the snakes because everyone is not going to pay for the permits.
Old 03-02-12, 08:20 AM   #294
Strutter769
Boa Boy Roy

Interview with Brian Potter about bringing the fight to the State Capitol. They are hearing our voices, so keep the letter, phone calls and emails coming!

Anyone up for a road trip tovrepresent when he has to go back? If so PM me.

- Update from Illinois Senate hearing on 'Dangerous Animals Act of 2012'
Old 03-02-12, 09:09 AM   #295
Strutter769
Boa Boy Roy

And now we take a few steps back.

St. Charles County couple charged after snakes, rodents found inside home
Login to remove ads
Old 03-02-12, 10:07 AM   #296
Skumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strutter769 View Post
sigh.

"The amount is common" WHAT? WHO HAS 1000 REPTILES in their APARTMENT?!

also.. the stench was blatantly from all those mice/rats, not from the snakes...

another kid just murdered someone in ohio in a school, i dont see them passing new gun restriction laws there.. oh yeah.. cause these laws never work for anything.

Last edited by Skumbo; 03-02-12 at 10:23 AM..
Old 03-02-12, 03:03 PM   #297
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
yup, I agree. A more expensive permit and a class requirement for any burms, retics, african and indian rocks, and 'condas as well, that would keep random people from walking into a pet store and buying one without realizing what they're getting their hands into. Hopefully.
Ok I know what youre saying and I do have a permit for big snakes. I was lucky enough to be able to attend a class qualifying me to get this permit. The problem is that these classes are rare and if someone wants to get a permit, lots of luck being able to enroll in the needed class. That person is in a catch 22. Of course even this permit does not exempt me from the 3 species that are banned in Iowa; Anacondas, Retics and African Rocks.
Old 03-02-12, 03:34 PM   #298
Spyral

[quote=Skumbo;694931]sigh.
also.. the stench was blatantly from all those mice/rats, not from the snakes...
quote]

In reading the article this has to be the case, as the representative from the herp society caring for the snakes said all the snakes were in clean cages, and well cared for. I know my red tail alone can stink up a whole room if I don't clean it right away. . .so his cages had to be kept clean or the animals would have been suffering as well.

Overall an outrageous article, and definitely paints the reptile community in a very bad light that is un-needed under the current state of exotic reptile and animal care. .

F:M ratio, 3:1. . .Need more male snakes.
Old 03-02-12, 05:20 PM   #299
Skumbo

[QUOTE=Spyral;695090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skumbo View Post
sigh.
quote]

In reading the article this has to be the case, as the representative from the herp society caring for the snakes said all the snakes were in clean cages, and well cared for. I know my red tail alone can stink up a whole room if I don't clean it right away. . .so his cages had to be kept clean or the animals would have been suffering as well.

Overall an outrageous article, and definitely paints the reptile community in a very bad light that is un-needed under the current state of exotic reptile and animal care. .
We have one pet rat and it smells worse than cats do if you dont clean all the time, nevermind tons of them o.O
Old 03-03-12, 01:22 AM   #300
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Interview with Brian Potter about bringing the fight to the State Capitol. They are hearing our voices, so keep the letter, phone calls and emails coming!

Anyone up for a road trip tovrepresent when he has to go back? If so PM me.

- Update from Illinois Senate hearing on 'Dangerous Animals Act of 2012'
I would so be down if I didn't have school. Seriously if I could ditch classes right now I would take of work and be there in the 9ish hours it would take me to drive there.

Quote:
That's debatable at best. I would say most people would read some of the quotes like "they knew raising their children in this environment was wrong, but they just wouldn't get rid of their snakes" along with the fact that the snakes were kept in safe, clean cages and weren't exotic will just make the people out to be just a couple with mental problems.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread