Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-12, 03:44 PM   #16
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Re: Psycho Argentine Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentoReptile View Post
Since it was brought up, if I am ever in such a situation, I just usually put the snake gently back into its enclosure. As I've stated in another thread, I generally accept the real possibility of getting bit if I'm working with a potentially cantankerous animal. I have never felt the need to restrain the snake's head and get it more pissed, and make it distrust me even further.

The only exception would be if there were children around, and I didn't want anyone besides myself getting bit. That would be an extremely rare occurrence since I typically would not bring out any snake that I knew had a history for being "overly defensive" in the presence of kids.
Good for you. I have already said that I will never handle this snake again and it was good for me to handle her the first place for experience sake. My main purpose in this thread was to relay what that experience was like because it made an impression on me. I have also stated that I do what I do because I do it. I dont care what people's reactions are especially after the fact. If the results of this thread are negative feedback so be it. I grabbed her behind her head precisely because I didnt want to get bit. I had no intentions on taming her down because I knew that that was the last time I would ever handle her again. Now Im ready for more negative feedback so bring it on.
Old 06-26-12, 03:59 PM   #17
StudentoReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwizard View Post
If the results of this thread are negative feedback so be it.
Such is the nature of posting on a public forum. Sometimes the reactions you get are not what you anticipated.
Old 06-26-12, 04:05 PM   #18
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Such is the nature of posting on a public forum. Sometimes the reactions you get are not what you anticipated.
I don't care. It's all good.
Old 06-26-12, 04:39 PM   #19
lumpbump

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
People need to learn the difference between Aggressive and Defensive behavior.
There are very few aggressive snakes in this world, and they tend to all be in the cape cobra and mamba family (they will actively chase you down if you annoy them)
I've never personally met an aggressive boa, colubrid or python, although i have met tons of defensive ones.

LoL yea I agree but you have to accept the fact that some people lack the power of observation and instead handle their snakes and purposely/inadvertently cause defensive behavior for their own amusement.

My buddy has a cape cobra and its like 7 foot and full of attitude. Actually his collection consists mostly of HOTs and just one boa, and one retic. Its crazy how his cobras hood up and shoot first then ask questions later...
Old 06-26-12, 05:39 PM   #20
MrBD1980

Man if you care so little about others views and opinions then why post? So we can be enthraled by your story....so we can mutely appreciate your experience of doing something we are uncomfortable with?

Really, either engage in dialogue or don't post.....

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, 0.3 cats, 1.0 Lionhead Rabbit, 0.1 hamster
Login to remove ads
Old 06-26-12, 06:42 PM   #21
CK SandBoas
queen of the Chicken Dance

Send a message via Yahoo to CK SandBoas

I truly do not understand why anyone would allow any snake near their face, be it a Kenyan Sand Boa, or a Larger Constrictor. I hope that the new members that see this do not think it's okay to let any snake near their face, because nothing happened to you when you did it.
Old 06-27-12, 05:16 PM   #22
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

I need to respond to these from a point of thought rather than from rash emotion so I gave it a day.

Quote:
You are right. Truth is Im not anticipating anyones reaction to be a particular way. That belong solely to the person replying to the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwizard View Post
I don't care. It's all good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBD1980 View Post
Man if you care so little about others views and opinions then why post? So we can be enthraled by your story....so we can mutely appreciate your experience of doing something we are uncomfortable with? Really, either engage in dialogue or don't post.....
This was my attempt to be "thick skinned" because several months ago, I was accused of being too thin skinned in another situation here. Im sorry if that came off bad. That was not my intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKgal View Post
I truly do not understand why anyone would allow any snake near their face, be it a Kenyan Sand Boa, or a Larger Constrictor. I hope that the new members that see this do not think it's okay to let any snake near their face, because nothing happened to you when you did it.
You are right. While I wont excuse I will explain why I did what I did. I am used to handling my snakes which are all dog tame. I never saw it as an issue with them so I wasnt thinking with this Argy. Looking back I shouldve done it differently with this one just as a precaution, and yes, as a general rule it is not a good idea to allow a snake close to your face. I agree with that.

I do enjoy this forum as well as most of the people on it. I just wanted to get this out there. Thank you.
Closed Thread