Closed Thread

Old 11-24-11, 11:38 AM   #16
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87
Re: Tub trio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Blood View Post
I could point you to one here in Ottawa that's been for sale for over 6 months. I'd love to see it in a good home. It's a fine looking snake

Its tempting I wouldnt have the room until June though I am at full capacity :/

I should add that the blood intimidated me big time
Old 11-24-11, 11:43 AM   #17
CDN_Blood
Custos serpentium

Send a message via Yahoo to CDN_Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_bug87 View Post
Its tempting I wouldnt have the room until June though I am at full capacity :/

I should add that the blood intimidated me big time
They can be like that. It's the folks that don't respect their attitudes that have the problems with them. This is one species that won't bend to the keeper's will, and you really have to understand them and work with them to have a good experience with them, so you'd probably do fine with one
Old 11-24-11, 11:50 AM   #18
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

I would love to work with one before I add it to my collection

I would want to learn how to read their body language and how to approach handling so that I can make sure I can inspect it and get it out for exercise I like my snakes to be fit lol
Old 11-24-11, 08:35 PM   #19
Xeperxi

Some things you can look for and things I look out for when handling my bloods, and these aren't specific to just bloods but just what I notice right away:

Let them know you are there, give them a minute or so to be comfortable with the fact that you are in their space.

Slow deliberate movements are a must.

If one of my bloods is upset or getting upset, I notice their breathing is much faster and heavier.

Their bodies will tense up noticeably.

Those few things alone will tell me it is most likely time to put them back and let them be There are other signs I notice as well, but those are the most obvious. To be honest my ball python will hiss when he isn't in the mood to be handled and be more obvious than my bloods lol. With my bloods its more subtle most of the time.

2.3 Blood Python, 1.1 Matrix blood python, 1.1 Ivory blood python, 3.4 Black SSTP, 1.2 Borneos, 0.1 Pastel Ball python
Old 11-24-11, 08:36 PM   #20
Xeperxi

Oh and absolutely gorgeous trio you have there CDN, very nice!

2.3 Blood Python, 1.1 Matrix blood python, 1.1 Ivory blood python, 3.4 Black SSTP, 1.2 Borneos, 0.1 Pastel Ball python
Login to remove ads
Old 11-24-11, 08:51 PM   #21
CDN_Blood
Custos serpentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeperxi View Post
Some things you can look for and things I look out for when handling my bloods, and these aren't specific to just bloods but just what I notice right away:

Let them know you are there, give them a minute or so to be comfortable with the fact that you are in their space.

Slow deliberate movements are a must.

If one of my bloods is upset or getting upset, I notice their breathing is much faster and heavier.

Their bodies will tense up noticeably.

Those few things alone will tell me it is most likely time to put them back and let them be There are other signs I notice as well, but those are the most obvious. To be honest my ball python will hiss when he isn't in the mood to be handled and be more obvious than my bloods lol. With my bloods its more subtle most of the time.
I agree on all these points. You're not likely to get any warning of an lash-out if you ignore those signs.

One other thing to watch for is that they can actually freak themselves-out and that'll put them in defence mode. It's happened a few times with my oldest male. My youngest is just plain bold and defensive, but they're all easy to work with if you understand the behaviour they're exhibiting
Old 11-24-11, 10:12 PM   #22
Xeperxi

Funny thing happened about an hour ago. Took my baby blood Vlad out for a little one on one.

He was resting in my lap and I had on a hoodie (the kind with the big pocket in front). Everything was fine, he was just chilling then all of a sudden something spooked him (or he spooked himself) and he all of a sudden whipped around and crawled into my front hoodie pocket.

I didn't move, figured I'd give him a few minutes to calm down when next thing I knew I feel the warmth lol he proceeded to take a huge crap in my pocket lol. I got him out and cleaned up, then had to gingerly take off my hoodie and pants being it got everywhere, was pretty entertaining. Still have no idea what spooked him

Old 11-25-11, 12:41 AM   #23
Kayla90

Send a message via Skype™ to Kayla90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Blood View Post
I could point you to one here in Ottawa that's been for sale for over 6 months. I'd love to see it in a good home. It's a fine looking snake
Are you referring to Fred?Male Blood Python - Ottawa Pets For Sale - Kijiji Ottawa Canada.

I've made several offers on him, and she has yet to respond.

Quote:
Funny thing happened about an hour ago. Took my baby blood Vlad out for a little one on one.

He was resting in my lap and I had on a hoodie (the kind with the big pocket in front). Everything was fine, he was just chilling then all of a sudden something spooked him (or he spooked himself) and he all of a sudden whipped around and crawled into my front hoodie pocket.

I didn't move, figured I'd give him a few minutes to calm down when next thing I knew I feel the warmth lol he proceeded to take a huge crap in my pocket lol. I got him out and cleaned up, then had to gingerly take off my hoodie and pants being it got everywhere, was pretty entertaining. Still have no idea what spooked him
Maybe the poop shocked him... it was just there.. and he reaaaalllllly had to go :P
Old 11-25-11, 05:57 AM   #24
CDN_Blood
Custos serpentium

Quote:
Funny thing happened about an hour ago...
After watching these things for 10 years, I'd say he just needed to go and wasn't happy about being out when the urge struck, lol. They're just funny animals, what can I tell ya

That's why I only handle mine when they're empty. When they go, it's usually epic, lol.
Old 11-25-11, 06:06 AM   #25
CDN_Blood
Custos serpentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla90 View Post
Are you referring to Fred?

I've made several offers on him, and she has yet to respond.
Yep, that's the one.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-26-11, 12:58 AM   #26
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Michael, I dub thee "Litter Box"
Old 12-05-11, 04:35 PM   #27
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:

OMG i read this and started laughing so hard i threw up. Funnest thing i read in ages.

Tags
blood python, borneo blood python, python breitensteini, python brongersmai