Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-10, 06:09 PM   #16
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783
Re: New Additions

In order to convert from freshwater to brackish, you will need to set up the water and tank and let it establish for a week before you put the fish in. Brackish cannot be created with the fish in the water at the time, so I've been told. Part of the reason I went with completely freshwater puffers. But Bob ate all his tankmates....he was a hungry blob.
Puffers are very intelligent- they learn that you bring the food and will come to the front or top of the tank when they see you to get the food, so don't ever put your hand in there or they will take it as food and nibble on it. As Aaron said, they have a birdlike beak and bite hard!
Old 04-26-10, 07:47 PM   #17
emseeKAY

yeah from what ive read ive gathered that insta ocean is probably my best bet and to put about 1 tbsp per gallon into the filter so it will circulate slower, but im wondering would doing that all within one day be too much for the fish? i mean i would only do this say once a month in order to maintain proper bacteria levels and whatnot but should i start out a half a tbsp per gallon or even 1/4 tbsp per gallon at this point? also the fish are in 100% freshwater and have been in freshwater at big als where i purchased them.

“If I found in my own ranks that a certain number of guys wanted to cut my throat, I'd make sure that I cut their throats first.” - Pierre Elliott Trudeau
Old 04-27-10, 07:44 AM   #18
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

Yes it would be too much for them if you did it one day. If you're going to do it with the fish in there, I'd recommend adding 1-2 gallons' worth a day at most. But really it is better to have your brackish tank set up and let it run for at least a week and then transfer the fish in.
Old 04-27-10, 03:37 PM   #19
emseeKAY

yeah that sounds like a better plan i must have overlooked your last post, sorry lol. as i read that they are better off in brackish once they get older im planning on purchasing a larger tank which i will let run for a week or so as you said before introducing my little friends haha i hope they dont eat one another :| one seems to be more dominant than the other which makes me assume that he would be the one to eat anyone else in the tank but who knows lol thanks for the help!

“If I found in my own ranks that a certain number of guys wanted to cut my throat, I'd make sure that I cut their throats first.” - Pierre Elliott Trudeau
Closed Thread