sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-05, 11:13 PM   #16
ReptiGramma

Send a message via AIM to ReptiGramma
Exclamation Omg!!!

STEEL..............YOU HAVE BACK HAIR!!!???
Old 08-06-05, 12:05 AM   #17
Linds
Former Moderator no longer active

[QUOTE=JimmyDavid]I'm with Chuck, here.
By adulthood, snakes have a personality so very well defined that you almost can't go wrong. Tame is tame and those that never tamed down probably never will. there's a small chance that even the tamest of all snakes could go crazy at some point...QUOTE]

I definitely have to disagree wioth this statement. I have seen VERY established (everything from 4 year olds to 10 year olds) adults become snappy snakes seemingly overnight, and I've seen a zillion typically relaxed animals all have their days. IMHO there isn't a small chance it will happen, it is something that WILL happen. Snakes are not sentient, which by my standards (as well as most other's) means they cannot be 'tamed'. You can try to condition them to an extent, but being that they will always only react without thinking, there is no such thing as a sure thing. Always be prepared.
Old 08-06-05, 01:10 PM   #18
steelnink

I have to agree with Linds on that.
I have also seen "puppy dog" tame adults turn into the spawn of Satan in short amounts of time.

As for Daiyoukaii' comment,
How could having another person present, avoid being wrapped?
It happens in the matter of seconds...
Old 08-14-05, 01:38 AM   #19
T.O-SK8TER

Send a message via MSN to T.O-SK8TER
I handle my burm on my own most of the time, my burm is well over 16 feet.

adam
Old 08-14-05, 09:54 AM   #20
daiyoukaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelnink
I have to agree with Linds on that.
I have also seen "puppy dog" tame adults turn into the spawn of Satan in short amounts of time.

As for Daiyoukaii' comment,
How could having another person present, avoid being wrapped?
It happens in the matter of seconds...
I guess I dont know how these wraps happen but the fact they have isnt a good sign. and another person could have been there to help manage the other end of the snake, doesnt seem that hard to understand that if a snake is supported by more then one person it is less likely to be able to coil around just one.

When you say wrap I think three things

1. you had the snake out resting around you and it desided to give you a big hug (again, another person could have been there as to not allow the snake to coil its self around you)

2. you where bit and it threw it's coils around you, this would lead one to believe it was trying to consume you or kill you, IMO this would be the worse. (not sure how this could be avoided besides staying alert/shield)

3. the snake threw it's coils without striking for what ever reason. (number 1 and 2 for how it could have been prevented)

Again, Im not saying I know more then you or trying to get in a pissing match but you tell me how a snake could manage to coil around you that couldnt have been avoided if another person would have been there.

there is an older (black and white) movie of a guy with a oh say 12 foot scrub python. the python was doing fine for a scrub but it still managed to get it's tail completely around the guys neck and chest causing the ?camera man? to help peel back the coils, and even then all that did was make the snake look for new body parts to constrict. The snake had the man by the legs, arms, and neck all in ~ a min. There is no doubt that guy would have been in SERIOUS trouble if he was there alone.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-14-05, 10:12 AM   #21
bassteck76

Send a message via Yahoo to bassteck76
I have to agree with Linds......Snakes are Snakes are Snakes....they are all animals with insticts. PERIOD! Dogs, Cats, Snakes, Birds....it doesnt matter...they are never truly "tame". They simply have a level of tolerance towards us. At any given moment a snake can and possibly will bite you. It doesnt matter if you have 10 people there.....they can not prevent the bite and wrap from happening. If the snake decides to do so there is nothing we can do to completely stop it....just help unwrapping. The simple fact that anyone here thinks that 2 or 3 people could restrain a 15+ ft snake is beyond me.....LOL Slow it down maybe.....I think the whole matter of having multilple people is to support the snake and make it feel more comfortable with the entire process......= calmer snake. Just my opinions on this matter.
Old 08-14-05, 10:50 AM   #22
JimmyDavid

The "going crazy" factor, as i mentioned, is left to a tiny percentage of situations that don't even account for statistics. So, if we wanna make a science out of this, we should stick to regular situations that follow a normal pattern.
Why would a snake attack you?
1-it's a wild and dangerous snake that doesn't wanna be handled.
2-The snake is hungry and thinks you are food
3-The snake is going to strike at food and gets you by accident
4-You are hurting the snake
These are what you should be worried about. Sometimes people don't admit that they made a mistake, and blame it on the snake "ohh, the damned thing just went crazy!".
Old 08-14-05, 11:08 AM   #23
steelnink

I know what your saying Daiyoukaii, no pissing match intended.
Unless 2 or more people have"hands-on" a giant, i don't think a wrap could be avoided.
Here's the question- I've seen pics of your retic [great colors], when you get out on your own, what do you do?
Your gf moves in, great, what happens if she leaves?

I'm curious to what others, [who stand fast about these rules] would do in any given situation.
Old 08-14-05, 11:21 AM   #24
steelnink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDavid
The "going crazy" factor, as i mentioned, is left to a tiny percentage of situations that don't even account for statistics. So, if we wanna make a science out of this, we should stick to regular situations that follow a normal pattern.
Why would a snake attack you?
1-it's a wild and dangerous snake that doesn't wanna be handled.
2-The snake is hungry and thinks you are food
3-The snake is going to strike at food and gets you by accident
4-You are hurting the snake
These are what you should be worried about. Sometimes people don't admit that they made a mistake, and blame it on the snake "ohh, the damned thing just went crazy!".
I agree, in fact, i feel ALL accidents are a form of human error.
When a snake is going through shed, most times, they feel a little more defensive, don't handle them.
If you have any type of lingering prey scent on you, most times, the snake will hunt.
I do still agree with Linds, there are times when a snake will just turn nasty, but more cases than not, human caused.