border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-02, 03:11 PM   #16
sophia

Yes Corr, i.e. "I am the God of all things snakes, birds, fish, religious, etc..." You find it in every forum on the web as in life. That's probably why I'm an anti-social deviate! LOL

Tay

http://www.sophiagroup.org/cgi-sophiagroup/ikonboard.cgi - Sophiagroup

"He who always gets the last word, is generally the least intelligent speaker!"
Old 08-22-02, 07:25 PM   #17
corr

Old 08-22-02, 09:27 PM   #18
Lizzy

Send a message via MSN to Lizzy
I hope it wasn't me...

I hope I didn't give that impression...the god games and such. If I have, it wasn't intentional...I'm just so used to dealing with idiots at work who have no clue about anything (they would try to keep that arowana in a bowl if they saw it as a baby). I have very difficult time seeing big fish in such a small tank too. Just one of my pet peves...no pun intended. Shane seems to be the most knowledgable fish guy around, so I am glad you are so happy with him. I'm still learning about the more exotic stuff, so I know if I post something wrong, I'll get nailed!!! He he! It's a learning process.
Anyways, if I was playing god games, it was unintentional.
Old 08-22-02, 10:02 PM   #19
sophia

Lizzy I appreciate that, this is a very hard medium by which to communicate, you have to do so much second guessing because you can't see the person's facial expressions. I appreciated all the information and advice, truly.

My mention of megalomania was in response to Shane's 'love fest' comment because anyone who knows me, knows that I'm very direct and compliments from me are earned, not given freely, I've never been one to 'a** kiss' for lack of a more acceptable term *G*. The manner in which Shane directed his responses were clear, concise and non-accusatory, without insinuation or any sense of redress and that was the reason for the complimentary nature of my post in regard to all that he had written, and honestly, I meant what I had said with regard to the fact that I originally meant to private message and ask him, but I'd had a hectic day and couldn't remember for sure if it was 'his' posts I had read previously. In essence, I didn't have time to go back and read 'all' the posts in the aqaurim forum to make sure, so I simply posted to see what answers I'd get. I also post like that to other forums to see who really knows what and who is willing to answer and share experiences. It's a means to know who you 'can' talk with and feel comfortable with.

While I agree with you that the 29 is far too small for a grown arrowana; it would literally stunt his growth and cause all kinds of health problems and physical defects, it is just a standard practice for me to start baby animals out in small enclosures to give them the security that they need. I have decided that since he is a black and will only get to 3' in length (if I'm lucky *G*), that I will be moving him into a 75 gallon Oceanic bowfront and equiping the tank with a Fluval canister filter, half the gravel required for the general fresh water tank, and one sword plant which I'll transplant from the original tank. I am also going to be giving him back his pleco (who I may trade because he's a lazy arsed fish!) and his cory cat and I'm looking at getting a Siamese Tiger. I'm thinking hard about recycling all the water from the present tank over several weeks, into the new tank and cycling that tank with a few goldfish which I can transfer to my mother's ornamental pond when I'm done, which is what I did to cycle the present tank. I know a lot of people think it's not necessary to cycle fresh water, but it's an expensive fish and I'd much prefer putting an expensive fish into a tank that has already experienced new tank syndrome and leveled off, with good biological growth already in place. I'm just paranoid most likely, but it's my preferred method.

You guys mentioned the bio wheels and while I prefer bio balls and other products to host bacterialogical colonies, I have to admit that I've learned a trick or two with those dang wheels. When they fill with goo, I don't wash them under running water and I don't scrub the fiber media, but I do put them down into a bucket of tank water and use a baby tooth brush to scrub gently around the pins to remove all the crud build-up (for lack of a better term) and so far (and I'm crossing my fingers here), that has worked pretty darn well.

So far I seem to be beating the clouding problem, in all the time I've kept aquariums I'd never had a clouding problem that tanin and water changes couldn't fix, so I was VERY frustrated when I posted to be sure. So I posted half enraged and definately in haste without clarifying what I had done and what I had not.

I have even thought about using the present 29 gallon to raise feeders once I move Hannibal to the new tank, but that dang fish is a fraidy fish, I can't get him to take worms or crickets because they wiggle and scare him, h*** the crickets rode around on his back like he was a horse, after three nights of trying to introduce a new food source to him and watching countless crickets fight for their lives and end up just going swimming! and having already been through this with worms, I gave up and set the crickets free!!! I keep attracting either neurotic pets or neurotic friends and I'm a very private person, so I wonder what the heck I have stamped on my forehead that only I can't see!!! Then again, maybe I'm neurotic as H*** and I just haven't owned that truth yet, who knows!! (G)

Anyhoo, I really appreciate the honesty and the good intentions Lizzy, this post has gotten so long that it may take to pages to view it as is, but I wanted you to know what I was posting in reference to. I try to be tactful and gracious when I post answers and questions about problems, and I tend to expect it of all others and don't often get it, when I do receive it, I make a point of complimenting it, that probably put Shane in an uncomfortable position and made him feel he was being put out there on the spot in some way, however, I'm just direct and honest and I've had to be, it's not only graciousness, it's a defense mechanism, long story that I won't go into here I promise! <G>

Tay

Old 08-22-02, 11:15 PM   #20
Shane Tesser

Lmao, im still looking up half the meanings in the dictionary. Tay you have an incredible way with words, i love reading your responses...i hope you write, if not, you really should....but if you do, id love to read some of your works, i wish i could be that eligant when i wriite, just kinda hard when you spend eight hours a day around mechanics and swearing truck drivers...i actually have to watch what i start typing out sometimes as im so use to the constant swearing, lol. You have made my day...and please send us some more arowana pics, i LOVE those things.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-22-02, 11:19 PM   #21
sophia

Awww For once I'm at a loss for words! Aren't ya glad! <G> and don't go cutting on yourself there Shane, you're no slouch with words to be sure.

Trucker huh? My dad was one for over 40 years, I could make sailors blush when you piss me off! <G>

I should have included

sophiagroup

Jon and I both have many articles on there and are 'trying' to write a book, we have be 'trying' for 6 years!!! LOL

Tay

Last edited by sophia; 08-22-02 at 11:23 PM..
Old 08-22-02, 11:42 PM   #22
Shane Tesser

Thanks, buy the way the love fest quote was actually to my compliment to corr for the work he has done here. I was worried that he didn't feel that he contributes, and its obvious that it is quite the opposite. I visited your site, and will return to do some more reading. I studied world religions and have a great interest in them....just alot to read at this time in the morning. The layout is absolutely fabulous though, excellent work! You must know the Reverend Sterling....if you don't i believe you two would have alot to discuss....he also has a very nice site, that ive also got to get back to finishing. I am a diesel mechanic, and trust me, have the uttermost respect for drivers....is a very difficult job, not to mention long and hard hours. So thanks again, and i did not feel on the spot with you compliments, you really did make my day, and i went to work....if you can believe it with a smile on my face. Thank you, Shane.
Old 08-23-02, 02:18 PM   #23
sophia

Thank you so much for the kind words with regard to the site, we have so much more work we need to do to it and so little time to accomplish it. Hopefully when winter comes on, I can get back to the Roman and Greek studies and update a bit on the Western Religions and the Philosophers, I have quite a bit I want to add to all of those and much, much, much that I want to add on Taoism and other Asian philosophies, there's just so much to do and only two of us to do all the research and writing and I have writings scattered to the four winds that need to be assimilated! OY and UG! Not to mention the editing of what's already there!!!

I'm glad I made someone smile yesterday, I swear when you see people on the group tearing other people down (threads to be left unmentioned), it just makes you want to turn all Hannibal the Cannibal on them, I understand and sympathize with Hannibal, there's many 'Rude' I'd like to kill myself, however I don't think I'd want to eat them, it would just give me massive indigestion to be sure!!! So to actually have a fruitful discussion where people come away happy with the content, now that's a great thing.

Ta ta
Tay (EG)

Closed Thread