border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-17, 06:48 PM   #16
eminart

Re: Introducing Dr. Coil

If it were a snake that is commonly available as cb, I'd agree about releasing him. But racers are difficult to come by. I'd like to see more established in the hobby so we CAN get some captive babies eventually. I've considered trying to breed some myself, but to get them I'll have to take young ones from the wild.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 02-05-17, 10:38 PM   #17
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminart View Post
If it were a snake that is commonly available as cb, I'd agree about releasing him. But racers are difficult to come by. I'd like to see more established in the hobby so we CAN get some captive babies eventually. I've considered trying to breed some myself, but to get them I'll have to take young ones from the wild.
If that was their aim, that's one thing, but it just seems like they picked up a random snake in their house to keep as a pet. Not everyone is willing or able to start up a breeding project, especially for a species rare in captivity.
Old 02-05-17, 10:57 PM   #18
whistlepig

Quote:
but it just seems like they picked up a random snake in their house to keep as a pet
That's about right, and I don't feel guilty about it, nor do I have plans to release him. Fact of the matter is that it's perfectly legal, he's healthy and doing well. He's my pet now and I came on here to share my enthusiasm about him.
Old 02-06-17, 12:30 AM   #19
FWK

Hello whistlepig. Welcome to the forum, and the herpetoculturist hobby. The clock on how long it takes before you get your next snake starts... now!

If you have a juvenile Coluber sp. (Racer/Whipsnake/Coachwhip) eating for you, captive hatched or otherwise, you're doing something right. It sounds like your experience was similar to mine. I have a Eastern Yellowbelly Racer (Coluber constrictor flaviventris, south Texas locale) that I collected as a hatchling, took quite a bit of work to get it started. The technique you describe of holding the snake in hand until it takes the mouse is called tease feeding. The animal bites not so much as an attempt to eat, but in defense. The behavior you describe of the snake striking and missing is also that of a defensive animal. Tease feeding is a useful method with animals that readily bite in defense, particularity those, like Coluber, that tend to bite and hold. The idea is to do exactly as you did, get the animal to bite and then freeze. The feeding instinct takes over and the animal eats, so long as you don't spook it. Very nicely done. I wouldn't recommend a Coluber as a first snake, but you're already past the hard part. My Eastern Yellowbelly is about a year and a half old now. It's feeding response is currently nothing less than vicious. I started it by assist feeding it the thighs of adult mice, and before long it took to tease feeding mice legs and pink mice. I recently picked up an Eastern Coachwip (Coluber f. flagellum) hatchling at a show, it was hatched from eggs produced by a female who was gravid when she was collected. It tease fed for me right off the bat, though there were a few times in the first couple months when it was just too nervous, so I'd assist. It has surprised me recently by taking f/t pink mice simply left in its tub. Coluber are highly visual predators, I didn't expect it to eat something that wasn't moving. You never know unless you try, I guess.

Don't worry about field collecting, as long as it is done legally and responsibly there is nothing wrong with it. Although, if it was found indoors could it still be considered "field collected?" Ha! Interestingly, one of my Rat Snakes I actually found in my house. Many of us started in the hobby with a field collected animal, myself included. But do know that since you have taken this animal in and fed it, it's your responsibility for the rest of its life. It is never a good idea to release a captive animal. Nor is it legal. Congrats on your new charge (well, August, newish?), I'll also be watching for updates. And seriously, it wont be long you'll be wanting more snakes, lol.
Old 02-06-17, 07:05 AM   #20
eminart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
If that was their aim, that's one thing, but it just seems like they picked up a random snake in their house to keep as a pet. Not everyone is willing or able to start up a breeding project, especially for a species rare in captivity.

While I understand your point, I'm generally not greatly opposed to field collecting. Obviously I think there are exceptions and limits. But, I think we should just agree to disagree, rather than getting too deep into it. I've never seen this be a productive argument. I doubt either of us will change our opinions, and that's fine.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Login to remove ads
Old 02-06-17, 08:14 AM   #21
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
While I understand your point, I'm generally not greatly opposed to field collecting. Obviously I think there are exceptions and limits. But, I think we should just agree to disagree, rather than getting too deep into it. I've never seen this be a productive argument. I doubt either of us will change our opinions, and that's fine.
Wise words.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your little one, whistlepig.
Old 02-06-17, 09:18 AM   #22
GyGbeetle

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
That's about right, and I don't feel guilty about it, nor do I have plans to release him. Fact of the matter is that it's perfectly legal, he's healthy and doing well. He's my pet now and I came on here to share my enthusiasm about him.
There was a Looney Tunes character that used to collect all kinds of animals, and love them and squeeze them and make them all hers I don't know why this statement made me think of that character. I wish I could remember her name or get a good pic/meme of it.

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Old 02-06-17, 09:23 AM   #23
GyGbeetle

Found it! Elmyra Duff. I don't know why she was my favorite character
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3629.JPG (35.6 KB, 92 views)

Old 02-06-17, 04:43 PM   #24
whistlepig

Before I saw the*post of her name, I was*thinking she was Elmer Fudds daughter. If I remember correctly, she was part of the Animaniacs...great show.

Quote:
And seriously, it wont be long you'll be wanting more snakes, lol.
I don't doubt it. I already feel the pull, hopefully my rational brain will continue to hold it at bay. I don't have the space to start a snake collection. haha.
Old 02-06-17, 05:31 PM   #25
GyGbeetle

Quote:
Before I saw the*post of her name, I was*thinking she was Elmer Fudds daughter. If I remember correctly, she was part of the Animaniacs...great show.

I don't doubt it. I already feel the pull, hopefully my rational brain will continue to hold it at bay. I don't have the space to start a snake collection. haha.
I didn't have the space either. And only wanted "just the one". I ended up with 11 just a few months later, and I'm already looking at more from my wish list

Login to remove ads
Old 02-06-17, 05:33 PM   #26
GyGbeetle

PS.. I'm a scientist for a living. I use logic and reasoning in my daily life. And yet I still ended up with 11 snakes, all housed in my bedroom. So good luck!!!!

Old 02-06-17, 06:24 PM   #27
whistlepig

lol. Yeah that might be where things are headed. Luckily I have other deterrents. I'm pretty sure if I started filling up my bedroom with snakes, not only might I risk bodily harm from my wife, but it would almost certainly lead to an animal arms race between snakes and cats. Not ready for that...yet.
Old 02-06-17, 10:05 PM   #28
GyGbeetle

Quote:
lol. Yeah that might be where things are headed. Luckily I have other deterrents. I'm pretty sure if I started filling up my bedroom with snakes, not only might I risk bodily harm from my wife, but it would almost certainly lead to an animal arms race between snakes and cats. Not ready for that...yet.
Did I mention I have 5 cats? I was terrified of snakes up until May of 2016, when my husband conveniently volunteered us to watch my son's science teacher's snake for the summer, before asking me. That was snake #1. Took me about a month to fall in love, and I asked the science teacher if he would ever be willing to part with Fang. This ended the Cold War with snakes. But Fang was around 6th grade kids for years, so I don't think anything phases him

Old 02-08-17, 12:04 PM   #29
RAD House

Quote:
...and somehow you always seem to get involved in these arguments. I am just giving you a hard time. I do not agree with wild collection for the common pet owner. Firstly as a beginner in the hobby there are many species that would better suit you than a racer. I agree that once in captivity it should never be released, and it worries me that once you have a pissed off adult on your hands your tune may change very quickly. Wild caught animals tend to be afflicted by sickness and parasites and do not often live nearly as long as their captive bred counterparts. Have you considered any screening and treatment options? If you are planning on bringing in more animals this should definitely be done.
Old 02-08-17, 02:53 PM   #30
whistlepig

Thank you for voicing your concerns MesoCorney. I will keep them in mind (particularly the screening and treatment issues) especially if I ever decide to add to my collection (which I have stated I am not interested in doing at this time). I appreciate that you have a different viewpoint than my own, but I had planned on using this thread to update the status of Dr. Coil as he grows and would appreciate it if I could do that without having to scroll through pages of lectures and scoldings from people who assume they know something about my competency in taking care of my snake. My suggestion is that if you or anyone else who wants to argue the wild/captive bred point with me or others simply find one of the old threads that deal with the issue and bump it to the top. You can even call me out in it, something like “I have been concerned of late about newbies posting about wild catching and trying to raise difficult species (ehem, whistlepig)…”. That way if I or others would like to debate this point, those interested parties could choose to do so without tacking on needless posts on this particular thread.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread