border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-16, 12:10 PM   #16
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: Best Medium Sized Snake for fist time owner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karilyne View Post
Just curious where you got that information from? I've looked all over and the recommendations are always in the 80's range. My Woma only hangs out on the warm side after being out of the tank for awhile, and spends all of her time hanging out on the cool side of her tank. I have a temp gun so I'm certain that the temp readings are correct. Could it just be individual preference? The author of the below article clearly states that although they live in the desert they spend the majority of their time in burrows where the temp is both cooler and more consistent.

Woma Python Care and Breeding
A
This recommends temps similar to where I have mine.
I mentioned an 80-85 ambient with a 90-92 hot spot, whereas you say you keep your woma at 78 with an 86 degree hot spot...that article recommends 79-85 ambient with a 90 hot spot... so that actually matches my friendly suggestion (off by 1-2 degrees) much closer than your current husbandry (off by 4+ degrees). I would also agree that they spend most of their time in burrows, but I bet they come out to bask while they're digesting in MUCH warmer temps (their natural "hot spot") than we keep them at in captivity.

I'd follow Derek Roddy's advice over mine, though. I have a little bit of experience with these guys, but it pales in comparison to Derek's.
Old 05-19-16, 01:05 PM   #17
Karilyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
I mentioned an 80-85 ambient with a 90-92 hot spot, whereas you say you keep your woma at 78 with an 86 degree hot spot...that article recommends 79-85 ambient with a 90 hot spot... so that actually matches my friendly suggestion (off by 1-2 degrees) much closer than your current husbandry (off by 4+ degrees). I would also agree that they spend most of their time in burrows, but I bet they come out to bask while they're digesting in MUCH warmer temps (their natural "hot spot") than we keep them at in captivity.

I'd follow Derek Roddy's advice over mine, though. I have a little bit of experience with these guys, but it pales in comparison to Derek's.
I checked the temps today and the warm spot is around 92 degrees. I moved the cool hide over a bit so she is sitting at about 82 degrees. Closer to your suggestions. We will see how she does! I'm just confused as to why she rarely goes to the warm side if that side is closer to what she needs? Thanks for the corrections though y'all!
Old 05-19-16, 01:29 PM   #18
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

She should only use the warm side if she is digesting or if you were handling her and she cools off and needs to warm up a bit.
Old 05-19-16, 03:05 PM   #19
jpsteele80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
She should only use the warm side if she is digesting or if you were handling her and she cools off and needs to warm up a bit.
I think it all depends on the snake, i have retics that never go to the warm side even when digesting food.

As far as a medium sized snake, i think one of the coolest species is definitely a blood python, they get very big in the mid section but stay a short length, that would be my choice
Old 05-19-16, 03:16 PM   #20
Karilyne

Honestly, my suggestion is to go to a store specializing in reptiles and explain what you want in a snake and how much you want to spend. Also, check out expo's and reptile rescues in your area. There are tons of amazing snakes out there and you will "fall for" the right one when you meet it. All of the suggestions here sounded good to me! For a first snake I really recommend buying one in person instead of online. Temperaments among individuals vary and you could end up with a feistier one you aren't quite ready to handle.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-19-16, 03:25 PM   #21
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsteele80 View Post
I think it all depends on the snake, i have retics that never go to the warm side even when digesting food.

As far as a medium sized snake, i think one of the coolest species is definitely a blood python, they get very big in the mid section but stay a short length, that would be my choice
USUALLY what you are mentioning would indicate that the hot spot is too hot even if by a few degrees, and in some species from humid areas if the heat source provided saps the air they will avoid it as well...but there are definitely oddballs out there and I am sure you're on top of you husbandry. As long as you are providing the proper gradient, they will go where they want to go.

Bloods are great, but they are a very hard to read species for a newbie when it comes to the defensive strike/bite...no tail rattling/waving, not usually much posturing, not usually any hissing, just a slight difference in breathing before the strike...not to mention that these guys can strike straight backwards! I owned 7 red bloods in total (excluding the borneo short tails...had a pair of them and they were calm even as young hatchlings), 3 were too nervous no matter the approach or effort and would bite contantly and repeatedly, 4 were extremely docile and not even a little bit head shy. Even 10-15 years ago WC bloods were quite common and usually quite nasty, but it would be easy to find a CB calmer individual now. Things to consider.
Old 05-19-16, 03:26 PM   #22
jpsteele80

I would never buy an animal from a pet store, you don't know where the animal came from, the history on it or anything, buy directly from a breeder or a reptile show where you can get a better feel for the animal. A pet store will tell you anything they think you want to hear to sell something.
Old 05-24-16, 03:42 PM   #23
Zelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthall21 View Post
Thanks so much for the advice! I looked into the coastal jaguar and the Angolan pythons, and they both seem like good choices. The problem is that my local pet store doesn't carry them so I would be forced to order online. Is this a good idea. It seems like shipping a snake to my doorstep would be harmful to the snake. Have you ever ordered as snake online and would you recommend it?
While I cant imagine the snakes ENJOY being shipped, if you get it from a pet store, it was shipped there from somewhere else :P

I recently ordered a carpet online and had it fedex'd to my doorstep. It was overnighted and came in a little bag with some padding around it and a heatpack, all in a nice little box. He arrived safe and sound and is now doing wonderfully in his tub. I wouldnt worry any about shipping.
Old 05-24-16, 08:17 PM   #24
pet_snake_78

Fedex overnight will almost always be fine if you buy from a reputable breeder. Of course no one can say 100% for sure, things do happen, I would take my chances on shipping versus something out of a pet store. I get the willies just walking into one of those places.
Old 05-24-16, 11:13 PM   #25
Karilyne

I know a really great guy who breeds Angolan Pythons if that is something you are interested in. He doesent have any yet this year but is hopeful that he will have a clutch. Price is $400 plus shipping. PM me if you would like his info
Login to remove ads
Old 05-24-16, 11:39 PM   #26
sthall21

Talking Re: Best Medium Sized Snake for fist time owner?

Ok after a lot of researching I think I have fallen in love with the brazillian rainbow boa. I know they may not be as easy to care for as other snakes but I think I can handle it. This is my first time buying a snake online so do you have any advice on where to get the snake from? I'm looking for a baby male. Also any advice or tips on keeping this snake as a pet would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Lol I'm so excited to get it 😆!
Old 05-25-16, 01:04 AM   #27
riddick07

Living Gems Reptiles...if you want a rainbow I'd go with them! Hop on to the wait list It'll give you plenty of time to research and setup.

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/epicr...ns-2016-a.html
4.5 Chinese Beauty, 1.0 White Sided Rat, 0.1 Suboc, 0.1 Stillwater Hypo Bull, 1.0 50/50 Cal King, 6.7 Corns, 1.3.1 Ball Python, 7.15 BCI, 1.0 Jaguar Carpet, 2.2 Retics, 2.2 Wolf Snake, 0.1 BRB, 1.2 BCC Suriname, 1.1 Ridleyi Beauty, 0.1 False Water Cobra, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.0 Halmahera BTS, 5.4 Parrots, 0.1 Cat, 1.0 Horse
Old 05-25-16, 03:57 AM   #28
SirHiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by phassin View Post
Carpet pythons are a great choice. Look for Irian jayas, jungle carpets, or jaguar morphs of you want to make sure they are under 7 feet.
I have a jungle carpet first time snake too and she's great. perfectly said already by phassin.
Old 05-25-16, 11:04 AM   #29
Karilyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddick07 View Post
Living Gems Reptiles...if you want a rainbow I'd go with them! Hop on to the wait list It'll give you plenty of time to research and setup.

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/epicr...ns-2016-a.html
I agree! They have gorgeous BRBs!
Group 2 looks amazing! Those thick dorsal edges remind me of Peruvian Rainbow Boas.
Old 05-25-16, 11:28 AM   #30
eminart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
The best place to get information about any species environment is to look at their environment.....not books, etc

Temps in Woma territory can get in excess of over 100 degrees most of the year....(during the day)

Because of this fact, they would need access to warmer temps than a tropical species, etc.

86 is great for ambient but, I offer mine a basking of at least 92/94 and they spend a good deal of time there during the day.

D

I think this is generally true, but not fool proof. We have to remember that a wild snake has a huge area to roam, and microclimates to take advantage of as needed. A captive snake can only move around so much. So, you can't just look at an animal that lives in the desert and immediately adjust the ambient temps to match. That animal may live in a burrow where the temps are 20 degrees lower.

For example, eastern indigos live in the heat and humidity of the extreme southeastern US. But, many have died in captivity as the result of temps being too high. They do best with temps in the 70's and never getting into the 80's. A warmer spot is ok, but high ambient temps will kill them. That's counter-intuitive when thinking of a snake that lives in areas where mid 90's and up are the norm for summer.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, first snake, medium size snake, snake, which snake?