border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-16, 07:20 AM   #16
trailblazer295

Re: Jag Carpet Project

Build looks good, keep us updated. I'm looking for a baby carpet in the near future and plan to build an adult cage myself as well probably the same size so I could use the ideas on how it's done. Haverhill built a reptile cage before.
Old 05-01-16, 01:36 PM   #17
Derek Roddy

Wow, cages look great.

On the size issue, don't base anything on that as snakes in captivity grow in relation to when they're feed by their keepers....not what is available to them in their natural habitat.
Habitat is what dictates size...in the wild.

Doesn't work that way in captivity.

I have friends who feed heavy that have IJs that are 8-10 feet. Another keeper who keeps IJ and feeds less.....they're 5-6
Size is relative to voluntary feeding in captivity.

I'd try to find an animal that matches your taste and not worry about the labels. You're already working with a cross so, in that regards...it doesn't matter from this point forward with the blood.
Get what you like.

D
Old 05-02-16, 07:33 AM   #18
phassin

I think you're right about getting what you really what you like. Though I think caramel jags probably would sell for more, I really love the black and yellow contrast on the jungles. I was looking at some high gold jungles online. Must. Wait. Until. Repticon!!!

Thanks for the compliments on the build. I got a good bit done this past week and it's really taking form. Trailblazer, I will probably post info in the enclosure section once I'm done but if you have any questions feel free to ask. I can even send you my initial drawing plans, budget, and hours to give you an idea. It's my first time building but it's turning out to be better than I expected. There's a few things i would do different looking back on it but not too much. Since my last post, I made the 3D backgrounds, made plant holders, bought fake plants, and assembled and attached the front frame. Next is to add light fixtures, prime and paint the outside...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image3 (1).jpg (24.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg image2 (1).jpg (23.7 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg image1 (1).jpg (22.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 05-02-16, 10:59 AM   #19
Derek Roddy

Yeah cages are pimp. Ever think about doing it for a side business?

Again, don't worry about "what would sale for more". Who knows, by the time you actually get something acclimated, etc for eggs....be a season or 2 and you can't predict what the market will do with snakes that reproduce readily and are easy to hatch.

Get whatcha like

D
Old 05-18-16, 06:24 AM   #20
phassin

Derek, I have toyed with the idea of doing them as side projects for others, but to be honest it would take too much time and the payoff would be low. Just the material costs alone is already around $500 and growing. I wouldn't be charging enough to make it worth doing. Plus I already teach jiu jitsu on the side.

I am getting close to completion now, but I have to get this final stretch done before June 4th (Repticon Charlotte). Time is getting really short. The outside is painted and the lights have been installed. The lights are pretty sweet as they come equipped with a touch sensitive dimmer, though I wish I had spent the extra money to get LED instead of Xenon as they do radiate a good bit of heat. Routing the corners of the enclosures was a big plus as well. It gives the whole set up a much nicer look and didn't take more than 15 minutes to do.

Next step is to hide light cables, cut and sand aluminum rails, and cut acrylic doors to size. That's the plan on Saturday. Here's some photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (23.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (22.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (24.5 KB, 71 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 05-22-16, 06:56 PM   #21
phassin

Alright the build is done!!!! Well sort of. I have is set up and my boy is now stationed in his new home. I still have to set up the thermostat and figure out how to fine tune the temperature gradient. It's fine for right now but I think I'm going to buy some heat tape or rope and put it under a hide. I also have to add some logs for climbing and probably some more fake plants.

I'm going to put together a bunch of info and put a long post in the enclosure thread, but for now here's what the final turn out looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image4 (2).jpg (23.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg image5 (1).jpg (23.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg image6 (1).jpg (24.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-22-16, 07:37 PM   #22
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Very nice Phassin. Can I get a set of those perches? Your snake and enclosure look great. On an off subject tangent you teach Jiu-Jitsu? That's great. I wish I could find some good private lessons here in Atlanta. I haven't trained BJJ in a while but I sure do miss it. I'm trying Krav Maga now and it's pretty fun too. It's been a minute since I've done combatives but it feels good to blow the dust off these old bones.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 05-23-16, 10:57 AM   #23
phassin

Zig, making those perches is really easy. Just a couple of 1"x1" pillars, plywood and glue/nails.

Oh man Atlanta has some of the best jiu jitsu on the east coast. You have Alliance and Traven headquarters there! I'm sure you can find some schools near you with awesome training. I've been teaching for a little over a year and a half now and I love it. I went to Brazil a few times to train in Rio and I'm pretty sure I'm in it for life now. Hit me up if you're ever in Charlotte and you can throw a gi on I haven't tried Krav yet but I've seen it a good bit. That stuff can be brutal! The Israeli military training techniques are ridiculously intense.
Old 05-23-16, 11:03 AM   #24
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phassin View Post
Zig, making those perches is really easy. Just a couple of 1"x1" pillars, plywood and glue/nails.

Oh man Atlanta has some of the best jiu jitsu on the east coast. You have Alliance and Traven headquarters there! I'm sure you can find some schools near you with awesome training. I've been teaching for a little over a year and a half now and I love it. I went to Brazil a few times to train in Rio and I'm pretty sure I'm in it for life now. Hit me up if you're ever in Charlotte and you can throw a gi on I haven't tried Krav yet but I've seen it a good bit. That stuff can be brutal! The Israeli military training techniques are ridiculously intense.
Alliance is where I used to train. Professor Jacare was amazing. I know Roberto Traven has a gym here too but I haven't been over to his place. I've got some travels planned for Charlotte later this year. I'll keep you in mind.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 05-23-16, 11:25 AM   #25
phassin

Oh nice!! Ha that's my jag carpet's name. Jacare. Though he was named after the other Jacare (Souza). I met the Alliance Jacare a few years ago. You are correct; he is amazing. You ever train with Daniel Donahue? Blonde haired guy around 170 pounds or so. Purple belt now. I competed against him in February. He beat me in the semi finals. He's a phenom. One of the top purples on the east coast.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-23-16, 11:37 AM   #26
Albert Clark

Hey! i studied under Sensei Pereria here in the Bronx. Tremont school of judo and jiu jitsu. Also under Carlos Farell in my Tae kwon do hey day. LOL. Heights Karate institute in Manhattan.
Old 05-23-16, 02:18 PM   #27
phassin

Nice Albert! Here I was thinking I was gonna talk snakes on the snake and low and behold there's a bunch of grapplers! It's my perfect sanctuary.....
Old 05-23-16, 04:27 PM   #28
Albert Clark

Back on track, those enclosures really look professional! Great craftsmanship.
Old 05-24-16, 09:13 PM   #29
phassin

Thanks man
Old 05-25-16, 11:51 AM   #30
macandchz

i can't believe you are building such a wonderful looking enclosure! it's going to be great when it's done. love the picture of the "yawn"- makes you want to get him a mouse right away!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
breeding, carpet python, jaguar