border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-15, 10:35 AM   #16
ManSlaughter33

Re: Rosy boa baby will NOT eat

try braining. sounds gross but puncture the pinkys head (FROZEN THAWED PINKY BTW) till the brains come out a bit. I thought I tried everything with my sand boa.. I thought she was going to die.... I brained the pinky and i hadnt even lowered it to the tub and she shot out like a rocket and snagged it.. i've done it everytime since and she eats everytime.
Old 09-30-15, 10:46 AM   #17
Albert Clark

Kneff, try switching the substrate to aspen also. Most Rosy boas are a Mexican species but some are indigenous to the hills and rocky areas of the Sonoran and Mojave deserts. They don't require high or even medium amounts of humidity. So drier is better with Rosies. Water dish is fine , keep it very clean. You can stop misting the enclosure bc that is absolutely not indicated for them. Dry substrate should be aspen. Once that is accomplished , no handling until she has taken 3 meals on her own. Rosy boas are for the most part a desert, dry climate species. That is for the North American sub species (lichanura trivergata trivergatta) AKA Mexican Rosy Boa.

Last edited by Albert Clark; 09-30-15 at 10:52 AM..
Old 10-01-15, 08:53 PM   #18
PsychoSnake

Just keep trying. Dying of starvation is a slow painful death. If the only thing that's working is assist/force feeding, continue doing that but always offer first.
Old 10-03-15, 10:01 AM   #19
Kneff1175

update....I had to force feed again as it had been 3 weeks since her last meal. I covered the front off her cage. Place the heat on a thermostat, took out the water dish, stopped touching or spraying her and that still did not work. I did not want to FF but my wife was very worried and pretty much threatened to show me what it was like to go so long without food. But really we were very worried. Anyhow shes digesting that, she didnt run and hide which I hope is a good sign. I have left her completely alone, nly to peer over the top to make sure she did not throw the pinky up. Everything was fine this morning. But I am not going to FF this snake her entire life. What am I doing wrong. Did I just get a defective snake?
Old 10-03-15, 05:57 PM   #20
PsychoSnake

Some snakes are force fed for an entire year before eating on their own. But once they start they are fine afterwards.
Old 10-03-15, 08:04 PM   #21
Ciriculam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Do you try to feed her in the terrarium, or in another container? Have you tried 'braining' the pinks? Do you usually try to feed her when she's more active (maybe leaving the pinky in the container overnight?)

That's what I do, but Most off the time my snake eats them once i leave him alone in the dark.
Old 10-03-15, 11:41 PM   #22
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneff1175 View Post
Thanks. I will try all of your advice. I'm pretty much tapped out though. Meaning I have tried everything. She's in a ten gallon, two hides, 93 on the hot side. Drops to 85 at night. Cold side is 83. I check with a digital infrared therm. I've tried live, f/t,scented, if I hadn't assisted her eating twice she would be dead. I'm at the point where I'm going to leave it as it is. I'll offer her a pinky every five days. If she doesn't have a drive to survive I guess I will let nature take its course. I just don't wanna see her waist away and suffer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneff1175 View Post
update....I had to force feed again as it had been 3 weeks since her last meal. I covered the front off her cage. Place the heat on a thermostat, took out the water dish, stopped touching or spraying her and that still did not work. I did not want to FF but my wife was very worried and pretty much threatened to show me what it was like to go so long without food. But really we were very worried. Anyhow shes digesting that, she didnt run and hide which I hope is a good sign. I have left her completely alone, nly to peer over the top to make sure she did not throw the pinky up. Everything was fine this morning. But I am not going to FF this snake her entire life. What am I doing wrong. Did I just get a defective snake?
Your first post contradicts your second post.

You responded to my post posted on 9/21 on 9/30. Which doesn't give you much time to take "all of our advice". Or to allow nature to take it's course.

Further, you have no real proof that if you "didn't force feed the snake it would be dead." The fact that the snake hasn't died yet tells me this is untrue.

If it were that close to dying from starvation it's organs and body would have begun shutting down already and you forcing food down it's throat would most likely have caused it to die. Don't give yourself credit you don't deserve. The snake is surviving on it's own.

At any rate, no you didn't get a defective snake. You simply refuse to put into place the proper advice. Since I refuse to help those not willing to take the advice I'll simply wish for the snake to do better.
Old 10-04-15, 07:46 AM   #23
Kneff1175

You again. I really wish you would stop commenting on my post. Look at the tone of all other replies. Nice and helpful.[/QUOTE] My first one was.
Quote:
Second who's is the proper advice? yours? Why. Because you were the first to get in line to moderate?
I don't know why you have a thing about me being a moderator. It doesn't make my experience better or less than anyone elses. There's been a ton of advice given and I haven't seen you really take any of it.

Quote:
Third Your statement that theres no proof she would be dead if I didnt force feed her is really kinda foolish dont you think.
No. I think making statements as fact is foolish.

Quote:
I really dont even think I meant to respond to your post in the first place as I avoid anyone who tags themselves as a moderator like the plague. You should really just moderate, or referee, the posts. Not reply to them.
Again with the moderator thing. You understand that I'm a person who isn't hired as a moderator. That I was a regular member here and was asked to be a moderator right? It doesn't discredit my experience or advice or that I shouldn't help the myriad of members here. There's plenty of threads that have my advice solely as others simply miss them or don't know.

Quote:
Oh ans stop advertising your facebook page in your replies. That is just corny.
This is called a signature. It automatically goes to the bottom of every post I make. You can do it too.

Last edited by Aaron_S; 10-04-15 at 01:07 PM..
Closed Thread

Tags
baby, boa, feeding, problems, rosy