border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-15, 09:46 PM   #16
MDT

Re: Keeping a Wild Caught King Snake.

knowing the pharmacokinetics of the specific medication and the excretory means of the animal are kinda mission critical.

in larger mammals, it's usually a little more forgiving (i can dose a kid with amoxicillin at 45mg/kg/day vs 90mg/kg/day).....but i would never try this with a reptile.....1) i have no clue how to dose meds for reptiles, and 2) they have a funky renal-portal system. i have no clue how meds are processed in reptiles...so is my "best guesstimate" gonna be ok, or will it tip the sake over the edge and kill it...

i'll let my vet figure that one out. that's his sandbox.
Old 04-29-15, 11:01 PM   #17
RAD House

Instead of doing all this work to make a wild snake captive, why don't you let it go and buy a captive bred snake? This snake is most likely infested with parasites and will die much sooner than a snake that was born into captivity. Not to mention that a wild caught snake will more than likely never be quite as docile as a captive born. There is not nearly as much red tape to keep a snake you bought from a store.
Old 04-30-15, 04:53 AM   #18
jjhill001

I'm not even talking about the parasites, I'm talking about how bad reptiles and amphibians have it in the wild to catch and keep something that you can get captive bred is morally wrong.

This isn't someone trying to add new blood to a captive line its just grabbing it and putting it into a box.
Closed Thread

Tags
king snake, wild